View Full Version : RVin way an AW???

02-17-2006, 5:24 PM
Ok Bill and you other informed guys. What's the law if I am in my RV traveling long term and want to take my AWs with me?

Unloaded and locked up.

I've been told your camp site is considered your home when you are there, but not sure if that is law.

If your house can move are you breaking the law if you have AW and your not driving to a official destination? I know this is probably moot in most other states but I have to know for CA

02-17-2006, 5:53 PM
Your motorhome is considered your residence only if you are camping in a clearly identified campsite; lawn chairs out, awning out, campstove set up, etc... The legal definition of a camsite is not spelled out in the law, but LEO will know whether or not you are camping and it should be pretty obvious. If you are pulled over on the side of the road or in a rest area off the freeway taking a nap, then your RV is a car, not a residence. All associated rules apply for residences or cars in each respective situation.

Guns R Tools
02-17-2006, 6:49 PM
I heard that RV is treated like home so people in back, not anywhere near captain's chair, can drink while the RV is in motion. Obviously people can't drink in other vehicles while in motion. So is RV a home even while in motion?

Then again it's only heresay.

Someone who does RVing should be clear things up.

02-17-2006, 7:57 PM
Yes, anyone behind the driver in an RV are "at home". I have hosted a few road trips in my RV:) The thing to remember is to keep things illegal in a car out of the access or reach of the poor schmuck stuck driving the party.

Further, you may have a gun or any other item you can have at home in the back. Anything that is illegal to have in your car is illegal to have within the access of the driver. Be careful if you enter a National Park, like Yosemite. They have their own rules.

As for campsites, yes your campsite is considered your home. Anything you can legally do at home can be done in your camp.