PDA

View Full Version : 17 rnd pre ban traded for post ban.

bdcc11
02-17-2006, 4:13 PM
I had pre ban mags that I used for compatition only. Nothing real serious. My mags got really old and used and I tried replacement parts like Scherer tubs and they didn't last long.

I put my original mags back together and gave them to a person that works in the gun industry to get replacements. I specified that for trade I didn't want LEO marked mags. What I got was brand new POST ban mags.

These did replace pre ban units so I know it should be legal but I am concerned that I don't have paper work to back it up. I do still have the Scherer tubes that I had originally used with the old mag parts.

Should I hide the new mags away until I can find a trade to some good pre bans? I started out legal and I want to stay that way if I can.

I can start using my 10 rounds stuff since I need practice reloading on the run anyway.

grammaton76
02-17-2006, 4:44 PM
I had pre ban mags that I used for compatition only. Nothing real serious. My mags got really old and used and I tried replacement parts like Scherer tubs and they didn't last long.

These did replace pre ban units so I know it should be legal but I am concerned that I don't have paper work to back it up. I do still have the Scherer tubes that I had originally used with the old mag parts.

Should I hide the new mags away until I can find a trade to some good pre bans? I started out legal and I want to stay that way if I can.

If you're really worried about it, then disassemble the new magazines, assemble them with the Scherer tubes for a day or so, then swap parts until you've swapped the magazine over completely.

Or if you can get ahold of the old tubes from the guy who probably tossed the old ones, that would be better than the Scherer tubes since they weren't the original parts.

Overall though, I wouldn't worry about this at all. You probably have receipts for the repair work, and that's more than you're strictly required to maintain anyway. And the biggest point is that you compete. If you're REALLY paranoid about it, get some folks you've competed with/against, who've seen your existing mags, to sign an affidavit that you had the mags before and this was done as a legitimate repair.

Wumpscut223
02-17-2006, 4:44 PM
Well... trading is transfering... and transfering full capacity mags is a bad thing in god's eyes.

grammaton76
02-17-2006, 5:24 PM
Well... trading is transfering... and transfering full capacity mags is a bad thing in god's eyes.

Actually, he said 'person that works in the gun industry' - I'm going to assume that the person probably had a large capacity magazine permit (or else he wouldn't have been doing the full-cap thing), which if I'm not mistaken includes provisions to allow them to service/repair full-cap magazines.

If this were a shady under the table deal, then I really doubt that there would have been an exchange of magazines going on, the guy would've just been buying new ones.

xenophobe
02-17-2006, 6:06 PM
If the 'person that works in the gun industry' had a high cap mag permit, he definitely would not have traded mags with someone who is not allowed to receive mags after Jan 1, 2000. They would have to be logged in and out, and without a copy of LEO paperwork stating they're to be used for official duty, that's a no-go.

bg
02-18-2006, 5:53 PM
Interesting. I know of a guy who had a Glock with 15 preban
mags. Still do I guess..Is it legal to use these 15 rd mags
even if the Glock wasn't reg as an assault weapon since it
came with the 15 rd mags ? States right on the container
the Glock came iN, "Preban" in big letters from Glock.

I think he got it back in 98 or 99. What do you think ?