PDA

View Full Version : Mauser 98 Firing Pin Protrusion?

Plywood
04-07-2010, 6:07 PM
Hey all,

whats the correct pin protrusion for a 98 Mauser? I'm having issues with light primer-strikes. I thought it may be just a week spring, but I measured my pin protrusion and it is 0.043" That seems a little short to me. Is there anyway to adjust it or do I need a new pin?

classicist
04-07-2010, 6:51 PM
With what ammo are you having the problem. Mine misfires a lot with Yugo surplus; I am told that the primers are set deeply. But your protrusion does seem low... I think that spec is about .055". The protrusion can be increased by carefully filing down a part of the bolt.

Deadbolt
04-07-2010, 7:07 PM
For What Its Worth ( FWIW)

my 24/47 yugo has eaten literally over 2k rounds from me personally and i have exclusively fired 1953-1955 Yugo 195grain OR 1980s romanian 150grain

both corrosive and she still loves to chow down on "thems rounds"

Heres a good thread on this exact topic - they speak must to the topic of pin protrusion and head space!! its a good read!

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/topic/34867

hope it helps! these rifles are iron clad - my m24.47 i bought from big 5 and shes a beast! Accurate and shoulder bruising ! :D

gl sir!

Plywood
04-07-2010, 7:18 PM
Thanks for the info. Im using some Romanian surplus ammo. Most of the time it goes bang on the first pull but some rounds have needed 2-3. I would like to try some yugo surplus but all I hear is mixed reviews about it.
I already ordered a new 22 lb Wolff spring for it. Does anyone know where I can find out about increasing the pin protrusion?

AngryPossum
04-07-2010, 8:27 PM
I have some k98s and all I use is the Romanian surplus. 1 of them has the same problem with light primer strikes. The others are flawless and love the stuff. I have not had the time to examine it yet, but the range master at my local range told me that he thinks the bolt is probably full of cosmoline...could that be it? If you happen to correct the problem could you let me know what you did? I might look into it this coming weekend if I get a chance.

swifty
04-07-2010, 8:54 PM
FP Protrusion should be 0.055"-0.065". Don't do any modifications until you're sure what modifications need to be made. You don't have a new stock on this rifle by chance do you?

Plywood
04-07-2010, 9:21 PM
No, its not a new stock. I checked the bolt for cosmo and it's clean.

Plywood
04-07-2010, 9:29 PM
I just found this write-up about increasing pin protrusion:
http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2009/01/mauser-firing-pin-protrusion-solving.html seems to be pretty stright forward

Plywood
04-09-2010, 7:44 PM
Just a little update. I was able to find a new firing pin after going through my parts collection. I got the protrusion to measure 0.062" with the new pin. I took it to the range today and every round went bang. If you're having FTF issues with a mauser make sure the pin protrusion is in spec. Thanks for the help again guys!