PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a good TRAFFIC attorney?

Scatch Maroo
02-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Not a DUI (I don't drink :D ).

If you know the name/number of a good traffic attorney, please email me:

scatch@berkeley.edu

Thanks!

Scatch Maroo

bwiese
02-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Well Scatch,
At least you didn't have 500 lowers when you were pulled over ;)

Rumpled
02-17-2006, 12:47 PM
Sorry, don't know of any.
But, do think about what the cost might be of hiring an attorney.
If the offense is small enough, you might spend more than fines and/or increased insurance cost.
If, on the other hand, good luck finding an attorney.

Bosko
02-17-2006, 12:47 PM
Ellison is supposto be a pretty good one... Go to the link there are more...

Sherman M. Ellison Law Offices
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
Telephone: 818-994-8888 Fax: 818-780-8989

http://www.motorists.com/Attorneys/view_listing.asp?state=CA

Scatch Maroo
02-17-2006, 12:57 PM
I was pulled over driving with a suspended license (for too many speeding tickets) and so I need to try and stop them from suspending my license again. My ability to drive without getting arrested each time I get pulled over is worth a few bucks. ;-)

Thanks for the link Bosko!

Josh

Bosko
02-17-2006, 1:11 PM
Hmm.. Driving on a suspended license...

I know there IS a process where a lawyer can get a point off your record for a time being.

For example. If you had a bunch of tickets that you just went ahead and pled guilty to (NOT IN THE COURTROOM) over a few months or years at the clerks counter, or paid over the phone, they can get the court to pull one of thoes violations from your DMV record and put the case to trial as there is no RECORD of your plea. But I think that would only be use full if the DMV suspened your lic for exceding the max point/time limit. I dont think it would help the the court took your license. What ever is your case give Sherman a call, he travels (use to) to any county in California. Not cheap.

edbon9
02-17-2006, 3:34 PM
check out this guy, he usually posts on the motorcycle boards.

Scotty Storey
Attorneys at Law
95 S. Market Street
3rd Floor
San Jose, CA 95113
408-892-7896
800-264-4379
info@twowheellaw.com

ligamentum flavum
02-17-2006, 4:43 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=26053&highlight=traffic+ticket

mugwump might know someone.

I was pulled over driving with a suspended license (for too many speeding tickets) and so I need to try and stop them from suspending my license again.

hope you learn to either slow down or buy a valentine 1!

rodgster
02-17-2006, 8:38 PM
Before you waste a LOT of $$$ & time on an attorney, I'd consider whether it is worth it.

What was the PC (probable cause for the stop)? Cops can lie or make **** up here, but I'd at least make him/her lie under oath (don't hold your breath, they will). If there was “real” PC, get it fixed (registration, taillights, etc.) or stop doing stupid stuff that is just gonna cause you trouble (like speeding) and draw attention.

In my town traffic is a Kangaroo Court. You could have Arnold, GWB & Judge Roberts riding in the car with you (and have them testify on your behalf), video tape, attorney and it wouldn't matter. If the officer shows up and testifies, you're guilty. Case in point, 10 years ago I did a California stop on a right turn. Officer was “hiding behind some bushes in a parking lot” , visible from only 1 direction of the 3 way intersection admitted to such in court (this used to be the definition of a speed trap maybe not anymore). I made him admit this in court. Result Guilty. Unbelievable!

On the other hand, a friend of mine got a ticket for driving in the commuter lane of the Bay Bridge (a while back, fine is close to $400) with a suspended license but since he had a valid license when he went to court and they have “real crime & real problems” to deal with there (Alameda Co.) it was ALL dismissed. Maybe a delay in court date would be helpful?

Then again, when I drove a friend to court for DUI (10 years ago), they were throwing people in jail & hefty fine for driving on a suspended (again that's my town's Kangaroo court). Not to mention busting people for driving to court on a suspended license (in the court parking lot).

My suggestion is no matter what, fight it. If they're going to fine you, suspend your license, throw you in jail, I'd do my best to make them spend as much $$ as possible doing it (take away the profit motive). But when doing this, be NICE. I've heard of cops giving testimony which would let someone off the hook when called to court (Cop makes OT) but that's a different state (not CA). Here if it's overturned they may not make their quota.

joebob
02-17-2006, 9:29 PM
This site might not be for your situation, Scatch, but it helped me in mine.

http://www.helpigotaticket.com/

I used the info at this site, plus caltrans regulations, and other public records to get a speeding ticked dismissed by mail without having to go to court.

Everyone should probably read this site, or other similar sites, before paying any traffic ticket. Your situation may be a little tougher, but check it out.

Good Luck

-Joebob

ohsmily
02-17-2006, 9:57 PM
My suggestion is no matter what, fight it. If they're going to fine you, suspend your license, throw you in jail, I'd do my best to make them spend as much $$ as possible doing it (take away the profit motive).

Yeah, GREAT advice...

Everyone should have this same twisted, backward mentality so no case gets to court and heard in a timely fashion for proper adjudication...Crowd the system more and make the involved parties more bitter...

and yeah, make them spend as MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE to adjudicate your case so that you "take away the profit motive" so they can RAISE COURT COSTS, FINES, and PENALTIES in the future to make up for clowns like you who drag their feet and piss and moan...

geez, skip this guy's advice and just ask how much money you are willing to spend on an attorney to try to improve your situation, or just pay your fines and stick it out during your suspension (AND/OR try to get a conditional license that is valid to/from/in the course of employment if you can't get your full license back).

11Z50
02-17-2006, 10:07 PM
Last time I checked this is still the United States of America and we still are entitled to due process. If a man chooses to contest an accusation that is well within his rights.

xenophobe
02-17-2006, 10:10 PM
It's a waste of money. Just let them do what they're going to do. Hiring an attorney will cost you $$$, and when you are found guilty of a second or third offense of driving on a suspended license having gone through a trial, you'll just get the full sentence, instead of a few extra days in jail more than you spent the last time you got pulled over for it.

Shouldn't F with the DMV. They're almost worse than the DOJ.

EDIT: And... Driving on a Suspended license, especially after the first offense IS jail time.

SI-guru
02-17-2006, 11:11 PM
It depends on whether you think the money is worth easing the pain.
Let's just say I personally know someone :rolleyes: :D (not me though) who got into SERIOUS trouble with CHP (>100mph, long CHP chase). The money spent on lawyers was not cheap >$4000. But the lawyer did talk the DA and judge out of out right suspension and got a much lower community service time. To me, just the fact that you can still drive and a few less weekends picking up garbage along the highway is worth the money. But YMMV.

BTW, you were just driving between your home and school/work that day and the traffic was sooo bad that you have to take a detour, right ?

Jeff Rambo
02-17-2006, 11:19 PM
I do not have much desire to close threads and play "Post Nazi," but if you guys cannot keep it civil, I will close this thread and continue to do so if these posts keep turning into flame wars.

accordingtoome
02-17-2006, 11:47 PM
i know a lot of people that use this site.. and have had 100% good turnouts..

http://www.ticketassassin.com/

hope it helps :D

ohsmily
02-18-2006, 9:43 AM
Last time I checked this is still the United States of America and we still are entitled to due process. If a man chooses to contest an accusation that is well within his rights.

Agreed, nothing wrong with contesting/defending an accusation...BUT, did you read/comprehend what the other post wrote. He advocated doing whatever you could to increase the cost of adjudication in any way possible. He didn't advocate effective defense or anythign constructive, he said to increase the cost in any way possible (logically to include unnecessary delays, filing improperly to cause more clerical activity and delay, causing frustration, etc). So, I stand by my statement that doing so is ridiculous, counterproductive, and without a legitimate goal.

BTW, depending on the seriousness of your situation and the degree of need for a valid license, I advocate getting an attorney and not just riding it out. Like someone before me said, much value can be attributed to a reduced community service sentence and a conditional license v. a completely suspended one.

bg
02-18-2006, 10:10 AM
I don't know of any, but Larry H Parker got that guy 2.5 mill
according to the ad...He says he has a 97% success rate.

When I was still sucking booze, I got nailed on a DUI. I was
bucks down and the court appointed me a PD. After he looked
the case over, he was able to get it knocked down to reckless
driving. I made sure to send that PD a x-mas card and tell him
thanks every year until he retired.

ohsmily
02-18-2006, 12:28 PM
I don't know of any, but Larry H Parker got that guy 2.5 mill
according to the ad...He says he has a 97% success rate.

When I was still sucking booze, I got nailed on a DUI. I was
bucks down and the court appointed me a PD. After he looked
the case over, he was able to get it knocked down to reckless
driving. I made sure to send that PD a x-mas card and tell him
thanks every year until he retired.

HEY YOU MESSED UP!!! it is "Larry Parker got me 2.1 million" NOT 2.5 mil :D

bg
02-18-2006, 5:47 PM
Oh thats right. 2.1. Where'd I get 2.5 ? Anyway good luck
with the charge.

slowjonn
02-19-2006, 9:05 PM
Case in point, 10 years ago I did a California stop on a right turn. Officer was “hiding behind some bushes in a parking lot” , visible from only 1 direction of the 3 way intersection admitted to such in court (this used to be the definition of a speed trap maybe not anymore).

Couple of things. First, you admit you didn't stop completely so why would the cop have to lie? Second, cops can hide (who would do anything wrong if they sat in the middle of the street?) and last, a speed trap has to do with speeding, not stopping and there are definitions in the Vehicle Code that spell out EXACTLY what constitutes a speed trap (not what most people think).

Here if it's overturned they may not make their quota.
Again, a misuse of the term. A cop gets all the use out of the ticket when they turn it in. There are no points for a win or loss in court. Quotas are another one of those terms that people don't understand in the context in which they are used.

And hiring an attorney in these circumstances may not be a bad idea. I know of several people that have actually been able to bargain away a point on their record for something else.

But the most obvious thing here is don't drive on a suspended license.

xenophobe
02-19-2006, 9:32 PM
You can TRY contesting a driving on a suspended license....

Judge: Did you get pulled over while driving?
Plaintiff: Umm... Yes.
Judge: Did you get a ticket and sign it?
Plaintiff: Umm... Yes.
Judge: Please show me a VALID California Drivers License.
Plaintif: Umm....

If it's not suspended, and you can provide a valid CDL, you will get out of it. If you do not, you will get manditory 3 extra days for each offense, after the first, 6 days on the second, 9 on the third, etc... if it's your third offense it will be 9 days, most likely released on OR and Community Service.

With misdemeanor DUI, from what a lawyer told me, is mandatory jailtime, community service and drug/alcohol classes. He said it's not worth hiring a lawyer who will most likely not be able to do anything. He also said, if you're DUI and get into an accident or hurt someone, that's a completely different story and you'll need a good attorney.

ohsmily
02-19-2006, 10:19 PM
With misdemeanor DUI, from what a lawyer told me, is mandatory jailtime, community service and drug/alcohol classes. He said it's not worth hiring a lawyer who will most likely not be able to do anything. He also said, if you're DUI and get into an accident or hurt someone, that's a completely different story and you'll need a good attorney.

There is no mandatory jailtime for misdemeanor DUI, especially if it is first offense. You CAN get jailtime for it, but it isn't mandatory and for a first offender, depending on the circumstances, they don't usually do it.

Your second scenario mentions an accident or hurting someone while DUI...The accident is an aggravating factor, but doesn't necessarily step it up...BUT, if you INJURE someone while driving DUI, you could get bumped to a FELONY, and if someone dies as a result of that accident, the DA has the option of pressing for 2nd degree murder depending on the circumstances (but will usually be plead to vehicular manslaughter)....EITHER WAY IT IS BAD NEWS IF YOU INJURE OR KILL SOMEONE WHILE DUI (obviously)

artherd
02-19-2006, 11:34 PM
Heh, neither DOJ nor traffic courts have been able to beat me.

Seek quality representation, and stick it to 'em. The same officers who do 120mph home every night at shift change are the ones writing you up for 75 in a 65 (when flow of traffic is 75-80.)

It's a waste of money. Just let them do what they're going to do. Hiring an attorney will cost you $$$, and when you are found guilty of a second or third offense of driving on a suspended license having gone through a trial, you'll just get the full sentence, instead of a few extra days in jail more than you spent the last time you got pulled over for it.

Shouldn't F with the DMV. They're almost worse than the DOJ.

EDIT: And... Driving on a Suspended license, especially after the first offense IS jail time.

xenophobe
02-20-2006, 12:02 AM
Indeed I stand corrected, after looking around for more info, see that some lawyers are good at this sort of thing.

I still don't see how you can get someone off a driving on suspended license though, it's pretty much cut and dried I would think....

n6nvr
02-20-2006, 10:26 PM
He asked for advice on handling a Driving on a Suspended license and he gets bull**** on speeding, dui, etc.

I would have suggested my Pa-in-Law, but he is deceased. My sister-in-law is a lawyer but I wouldn't recommend her to anybody.

You need to at least call a few of the free consult lines. Find out if they think they can do something, as mentioned you may be facing some major jail time. Major defined as long enough away from your job to get hammered there??? You have vacation or sick leave on the books? Enough?

The consequences are enough that you need somebody that knows the system and can help.

And oh by the way, think of all the ammo money, new gun money, you just pissed down the ****ter, the next time you get behind a steering wheel. that may help in the future.

accordingtoome
02-20-2006, 10:47 PM
HEY YOU MESSED UP!!! it is "Larry Parker got me 2.1 million" NOT 2.5 mil :D

what they don't show is that guy has no legs.. ... i would rather have legs then 2.1 any day of the week

ohsmily
02-21-2006, 9:17 AM
what they don't show is that guy has no legs.. ... i would rather have legs then 2.1 any day of the week

Are you being facetious? I used to say that too (about his legs b/c they only showed his upper torso) but in more recent ads, they show his full body and he does indeed have legs and he is standing...;)