PDA

View Full Version : WILL MY MARLIN SHOOT .22short?

rcschummers
04-07-2010, 4:11 PM
Will my marlin model 60 shoot and cycle .22short? is the short ammo quiet? whats the deal with this stuff?:confused:

AndrewMendez
04-07-2010, 4:19 PM
quiet? Like, not as loud as a 22? Some 22LR Rifles can shoot 22 Short with a special magazine for it. (Eat dirt showed me that one) Not sure if the Marlin can do it though, as I have not seen any for it.

Argonaut
04-07-2010, 4:33 PM
Probably won't cycle.....the only semi auto I know that is rated for shorts to long rifle is the Remington 552. Try Remington Subsonics

Merc1138
I'm not sure what you mean by "whats the deal with this stuff" .22short is another(older) caliber that isn't used very often in modern guns, mostly commonly(that I'm aware of) you'll find older pocket pistols and derringers in .22 short.

And no, I don't believe there's .22short modifications for any of the marlin stuff(could be wrong).

BigDogatPlay
Marlin 60... not shorts, unless you single load them. The 60, and the 795 for that matter, is .22 LR only.

If you want to shoot anything from CB Caps to hyper velocity .22 Long Rifle ammo, then you need either a lever action or a bolt gun. My Marlin 39A has shot them all. 24 inch barrel and the closed breech mean that when you shoot CB caps all that is heard is the click of the hammer hitting the firing pin and the thump of the bullet hitting whatever it is you shot at. Great for rats in the compost pile.

Ask me how I know.... :D

rcschummers
04-07-2010, 4:59 PM
how do you know? :)

Marlin 60... not shorts, unless you single load them. The 60, and the 795 for that matter, is .22 LR only.

If you want to shoot anything from CB Caps to hyper velocity .22 Long Rifle ammo, then you need either a lever action or a bolt gun. My Marlin 39A has shot them all. 24 inch barrel and the closed breech mean that when you shoot CB caps all that is heard is the click of the hammer hitting the firing pin and the thump of the bullet hitting whatever it is you shot at. Great for rats in the compost pile.

Argonaut
04-07-2010, 4:59 PM

My Remington 552 (semi auto) shoots em all.......and holds something like 17 rounds in the tube

BigDogatPlay
04-07-2010, 9:01 PM
I know because my Marlin 60 won't feed .22 shorts, I've tried, and I've tried with others as well. They will to a point, but it's not reliable and stoppages are frequent. Neither will any of a half dozen 795s I've shot over the years. Same issue. I've gotten both models to feed longs pretty well, although not reliably, but thats about it. Not my first rodeo and I've been tinkering with .22s for over 40 years.

And I plunked plenty of rats around my grandmothers several hundred square foot compost pile when I was a kid and old enough to be trusted. Used CB caps in a single shot bolt action. Since then I've put away a lot of small pest critters with CB caps... no one hears a thing.

My Marlin 39A, however, reliably feeds LR, L, S and CB. The tube will hold something over 20 shorts, which is kind of cool.

Pump action .22's will feed different length ammo pretty well also, to update my original post. My dad had a Rossi pump that handled shorts like a champ. It was terrific on pests around the property.

ETA... the manual for the Model 60 (http://www.marlinfirearms.com/pdfs/manuals/MFC_Self_Load_RF_Tube.pdf) notes specifically that while shorter length ammo might work, it won't work reliably and the use of anything other than LR is strongly recommended to not be done.

YMMV....

JAGACIDA
04-08-2010, 3:43 PM
This is making a case for buying a single shot .22, eats shorts, longs[if you ever see them] long rifle. Dirty ammo, subsonic, colibris, pretty much everything your semi doesn't like. It makes you think before each shot, especially if it's dinner.

racky
04-08-2010, 3:50 PM
i had a 22mag marlin bolt action that shot shorts. i hand to single load them because it was magazine fed. it went from "bang bang" to "pew pew"

Argonaut
04-08-2010, 3:51 PM
..............+1...........For the single shot. Way too many of these guys are looking at the next shot in the magazine rather than the one in the chamber.

BigDogatPlay
04-08-2010, 3:52 PM
This is making a case for buying a single shot .22, eats shorts, longs[if you ever see them] long rifle. Dirty ammo, subsonic, colibris, pretty much everything your semi doesn't like. It makes you think before each shot, especially if it's dinner.

Very good points. I learned to shoot with a single shot, an ancient Remington bolt. Not only learned the values of marksmanship but also of safety. As a youngster I wasn't allowed to go loaded... could only load, close bolt and fire when I had a target and was sure the background was safe. Going loaded and later repeaters came with experience and being able to demonstrate that I could handle them. I think it's a very good way for kids to learn.

AgentAK
04-08-2010, 8:48 PM
Pump action .22's will feed different length ammo pretty well also, to update my original post. My dad had a Rossi pump that handled shorts like a champ. It was terrific on pests around the property.

I have one of those Rossi's and it does indeed feed shorts just fine. I happen to have it up for sale in the PFS Forum.

CalNRA
04-12-2010, 3:24 PM
with a 22 short in a 22 LR chamber, be sure to clean the chamber well after firing 22 short, even in a bolt or lever action. The shorter case length means there is empty space(head space?) ahead of the case mouth, and the residue can build up to cause feeding and extraction problems next time you want to use a 22LR round.

That's partially why there are 22 CB longs, to ensure that one can use CB rounds in 22LR guns without complications.

SOCMOB
04-12-2010, 3:33 PM
Thanks, I have a Marlin I expect to digest a certain amount of .22 shorts too. It's what I've always heard, just clean the chamber well.

I get CB longs when I can but they're rare.

NorthShoreMinnJim
08-21-2013, 10:36 AM
I have a Marlin XT-22 Bolt action, tube feed rifle and it will shoot .22 shorts all day long. The tube feed holds 25 shorts, 19 long <<<not LR, and 17 .22LR. Shorts everything except .22 magnums. It even shoots the "Colibri" caps, but they are horrible rounds. No powder, only a primer and start dropping off after only about 25 feet.

johnthomas
08-21-2013, 10:59 AM
None of my semi auto 22's will cycle 22 short or CCI 22 long quiet rounds.
My bolt action eats them all. My friend has a Henry lever and it also eats it all.
The CCI quiet rounds sounds like a pellet rifle, not fast enough to cause a bang.

Rosebud22
08-21-2013, 11:55 AM
If noise is the issue, as stated above, use CCI 22LR Quiets. They will feed on my
10/22 but the bolt will not cycle. I just cycle it by hand after every shot.
I think the cost for 22LR Quiets and shorts is about the same.

Tom-ADC
08-21-2013, 6:26 PM
I have a older Remington 552 BDL Speedmaster it will feed shorts,longs or long rifle mix and match.
My Henry will do the same.