PDA

View Full Version : Calling all IT nerds... Need a terminal program that...

Corbin Dallas
04-07-2010, 8:54 AM
Will work with command line to a serial port!!!

I mean WTF, Putty doesn't support command line to serial?? What a bunch of BS..

Ok, here is my requirements:

MUST be able to send and receive info from command line, MUST be able to hit ANY com port on a PC (serialterm is limited to COM7 I think).

What I'm attempting to do:

Query a modem through the command line, get the data and parse it into a file for testing. I need to know what firmware is currently running on the modem card for a DUN connection.

So, if you have a suggestion that might work for me, send it my way!

Thanks!

Mute
04-07-2010, 8:59 AM
I've always been able to use HyperTerm for that kind of crap.

lazyworm
04-07-2010, 9:11 AM
can't think of anything good. Sounds to me you want to go old school.
Maybe start here? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telix

If you don't run windows, then there are more options.

mordak6actual
04-07-2010, 9:22 AM
I think SecureCRT can do what you want to do. It's made by VanDyke Software.

I primarily use it for programming Cisco equipment.

Will work with command line to a serial port!!!

Ok, here is my requirements:

MUST be able to send and receive info from command line, MUST be able to hit ANY com port on a PC (serialterm is limited to COM7 I think).

Query a modem through the command line, get the data and parse it into a file for testing. I need to know what firmware is currently running on the modem card for a DUN connection.

So, if you have a suggestion that might work for me, send it my way!

Thanks!

nick
04-07-2010, 9:23 AM
http://www.vandyke.com/products/securecrt/index.html

nick
04-07-2010, 9:24 AM
I think SecureCRT can do what you want to do. It's made by VanDyke Software.

I primarily use it for programming Cisco equipment.

You beat me to it :)

Corbin Dallas
04-07-2010, 9:31 AM

HT does not run via command line.

Meaning, I need to run a scripted file, not type it in each time.

Corbin Dallas
04-07-2010, 9:34 AM
Thanks for the pointers!

Unfortunately I need something that will run as an executable, I can't install the package on each test PC.

I wish serial term would work past com7, it seems to be the best bet so far.

I'm trying out realterm but it has some issues with sending specific commands via command prompt.

Mute
04-07-2010, 9:58 AM
I don't usually run scripts or work past com7 but I believe Emtec ZOC does what you want.

Corbin Dallas
04-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Ok, sorry. I guess I didn't mention that this needs to be free as well.

I found teraterm and it seems to almost fit the bill. Anyone used this?

nick
04-07-2010, 10:15 AM
I used teraterm, but never from the command line. The GUI has a few idiosyncrasies, but overall it was a good program. I switched to SecureCRT due to stability issues with multiple open windows.

Mute
04-07-2010, 10:29 AM
I've used teraterm but wasn't sure if it could run scripts. It's a good program.

Satex
04-07-2010, 10:49 AM

Watch it there buddy. No smack talking about putty :mad:

JDay
04-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Use this, its one of the best. I used it extensively back in the BBS days.

http://www.terminate.com/

sargenv
04-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Wow, Terminate is still in use? Amazing.. I used that for bbs surfing back "in the day"..

Corbin Dallas
04-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Watch it there buddy. No smack talking about putty :mad:

Are you a putty developer? If so, what the heck man? No command line for serial? What's up there buddy?

I love putty, that was my first thought! Hell yea, Putty has command line, I'll use that...

WRONG!!!!

NO CL for Serial. How lame... What a great program, but lacks the most BASIC of needs for IT pros.....

Corbin Dallas
04-07-2010, 1:09 PM
Sorry, terminate wont do. Too bloated with stuff that needs to be installed on each machine.

Satex
04-07-2010, 2:53 PM
Are you a putty developer? If so, what the heck man? No command line for serial? What's up there buddy?

I love putty, that was my first thought! Hell yea, Putty has command line, I'll use that...

That was a sarcastic remark I made, I should have used the ";)" smiley. I just love putty, but I agree that it would have been nice if it had serial capability.

Satex
04-07-2010, 2:53 PM

That was a sarcastic remark I made, I should have used the ";)" smiley. I just love putty, but I agree that it would have been nice if it had CL capability.

greyfell
04-07-2010, 3:27 PM

Hyperterm is my suggestion, also. It's free, because it comes with Windows. Google AT commands, if you cannot find an old modem manual. These are what you will use to query the modem and give other commands to the modem. You setup your PC's connection to the modem, and before you tell the modem to dial ANYTHING, enter you AT commands to get the information from the modem you need.

danito
04-07-2010, 3:41 PM
TuTTY has a serial backend patch.

plink might also be option. You can call a saved serial connection "plink -load "session-name" but you can not call the serial port directly "plink -serial"

Corbin Dallas
04-07-2010, 5:57 PM
Hyperterm is my suggestion, also. It's free, because it comes with Windows. Google AT commands, if you cannot find an old modem manual. These are what you will use to query the modem and give other commands to the modem. You setup your PC's connection to the modem, and before you tell the modem to dial ANYTHING, enter you AT commands to get the information from the modem you need.

Again, HT does NOT support sending or receiving data from the command line.

I thought I made this clear in the beginning...

greyfell
04-08-2010, 7:29 AM
Again, HT does NOT support sending or receiving data from the command line.

I thought I made this clear in the beginning...

You're right, Hyperterm will not work from the command line, but you never made clear why you have to work from the command line.

HT will do what you want, if you are able to open Windoze, and it is free. Why is it so important to work from the command line? Has the OS been so infected/corrupted that you can't start it?

Corbin Dallas
04-08-2010, 7:50 AM
Seriously, not to be an ***, but did you even bother to read my first post?

Do I have to completely explain what I'm doing down to the batch file I've written?

Honestly, I hate doing this but I'm very familiar with HyperTerminal and Windoesn't. I think you might have gotten a clue when I referred to PuTTY not having CLI for the serial com ports.

Sorry for being an ***, but I thought I was pretty clear that I needed a terminal emulator program that will connect to a serial com port along with sending and receiving data via the CLI.

If I wanted to sit and TYPE AT commands to 1000 computers all day long, I would. But that defeats the purpose of testing 1000 PC's and modem cards doesn't it. I'd spend all 10 hours a day typing AT commands to query modems.

greyfell
04-08-2010, 7:51 AM
You're right, Hyperterm will not work from the command line, but you never made clear why you have to work from the command line.

HT will do what you want, if you are able to open Windoze, and it is free. Why is it so important to work from the command line? Has the OS been so infected/corrupted that you can't start it?

However, to continue to beat a dead horse...have you checked out:

Serialterm - http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/~albrecht/sw/terminal/index.html

Realterm - http://realterm.sourceforge.net/

Tunnelier - http://www.bitvise.com/tunnelier

fd15k
04-08-2010, 8:03 AM
NO CL for Serial. How lame... What a great program, but lacks the most BASIC of needs for IT pros.....

Wow, good for morning laugh :D If only I could switch to Windows now, I can be a real IT pro :43:

Corbin Dallas
04-08-2010, 8:04 AM
However, to continue to beat a dead horse...have you checked out:

Serialterm - http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/~albrecht/sw/terminal/index.html

Realterm - http://realterm.sourceforge.net/

Tunnelier - http://www.bitvise.com/tunnelier

Serialterm - Yes, but it does not look past COM6, so that won't work

Realterm - Currently checking out CLI for this

Tunnerlier - Just checked this out, unfortunatly this will not work because it has to install on the machine. I need an executeable program.

Corbin Dallas
04-08-2010, 8:05 AM
Wow, good for morning laugh :D If only I could switch to Windows now, I can be a real IT pro :43:

Hey, I don't make the rules, only play the game. Could you image if us IT people could change they way users actually USE their PC's? It would be a Linux world...

fd15k
04-08-2010, 8:09 AM
Hey, I don't make the rules, only play the game. Could you image if us IT people could change they way users actually USE their PC's? It would be a Linux world...

Maybe also try this : http://www.shellguard.com/

It can be downloaded as an archive, and designed for the console use. Trial period might be enough for the problem you're trying to solve, so you won't have to buy it.

Their older version had a different name, "telneat", and was free... But didn't have serial support.

bigmike82
04-08-2010, 8:28 AM
"but lacks the most BASIC of needs for IT pros..... "
Uhmm....this isn't a basic need. ;)

Corbin Dallas
04-08-2010, 8:33 AM
Uhmm....this isn't a basic need. ;)

WYSIWYG is not a basic need.

CLI is.

At least in my world...

bigmike82
04-08-2010, 8:39 AM
Oh yeah, CLI is. But com-port control via CLI is definitely a niche requirement for what you're doing. Putty, as you said, supports CLI, just not on COM.

Good luck though. Have you come up with anything doable?

lazyworm
04-08-2010, 8:52 AM
I think now I understand what you're trying to do.

how about a totally different route...

1. download and install perl (dos) ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2gnu/perl588b.zip (13M, zipped) You can probably strip it down further.

2. Install module like Device-Model http://search.cpan.org/~cosimo/Device-Modem-1.53/docs/Device-Modem.pod

3. Write a script to read from and write to the model as you wanted.

Corbin Dallas
04-08-2010, 9:30 AM
So I think my brain took a mental vacation while I was working on serialterm...

I went back and got the source code so I could fix the com port issue and re-compile the C++...

and what do I see at the end of the com line? /n

OMG, I'm a F'ing idiot...

Tried it again on a machine I know has a high number com port and BINGO, it works...

I'm going to go sit in the corner with my hat now...

:TFH:

Where's the smack myself icon???

:kest:

five.five-six
04-13-2010, 4:08 PM
procom?

five.five-six
04-13-2010, 4:14 PM
winfiol? CLI manager?

danito
04-13-2010, 4:51 PM
Putty may not support CLI to COM directly

However if you save a putty com port session, you can call that saved session from the command line putty.exe -load "my session"

winnre
04-13-2010, 4:52 PM
What you want is QVT/Term.