PDA

View Full Version : Vz24 or Yugo Mauser?

savasyn
04-06-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm thinking of picking up either a Vz24 or a Yugo Mauser sometime in the near future. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to either or go with whichever one I find that is nicer?
Thanks!

courteousgavin
04-06-2010, 11:03 PM
The VZ24 has the "advantage" of a full length large ring Mauser 98 action. That just means they are a lot easier to sporterize because of all the parts available for full length large ring Mausers. If you don't plan to sporterize it then it doesn't really matter. I think it is easier to find a better looking Yugo these days.

Palimino Stripe
04-07-2010, 1:48 AM
Wow! Deja vu. This question seems to come up alot on this forum. Almost word-for-word too! I guess that's the case when two rifles of the same caliber are readily available...

Long story short- They're both well-made Mauser-style rifles. You really can't go wrong with either. Basically- which one should you get? -Any one that comes your way. :)

-Palimino

CEDaytonaRydr
04-07-2010, 10:37 AM
The VZ24 has the "advantage" of a full length large ring Mauser 98 action. That just means they are a lot easier to sporterize because of all the parts available for full length large ring Mausers.

I've actually been thinking about doing this. I have a VZ24 that has a locking screw broken off in the trigger guard (and I can't find a replacement trigger guard) and they're not really valuable anyway . I've been looking at the barrels they have and there are a lot of different calibers!

I'm considering either a 22-250 or 6.5 swedish.

bigthaiboy
04-07-2010, 1:43 PM
I've actually been thinking about doing this. I have a VZ24 that has a locking screw broken off in the trigger guard (and I can't find a replacement trigger guard) and they're not really valuable anyway . I've been looking at the barrels they have and there are a lot of different calibers!

I'm considering either a 22-250 or 6.5 swedish.

That's what people said about Russian SKSs and SVT-40s in the 80's and early 90's.

Argonaut
04-07-2010, 1:52 PM
VZ 24's are the class of the M98 rifles. There is nothing better. A pre war rifle with a lions crest is MAGNIFICENT. The fit and finish is unsurpassed in the M98 design. I like the Steyr built rifles and the FNs but none are better than the Checkoslovakian . I have sporterized several and have one that is original. I have built 308 Norma magnums, 35 Whelans, 8mmx06, You can do anything that will fit in the action length.

CEDaytonaRydr
04-07-2010, 2:21 PM
That's what people said about Russian SKSs and SVT-40s in the 80's and early 90's.

This one is a CAI import and isn't in that great of shape anyway. It's got pitting in some places, the wood is rough and mismatched to the handguard and the crest has been removed. Plus, there's the issue of the locking screw that's broken off in the trigger guard.

If I had a mint condition VZ24, I might take your advice but this one isn't much to write home about...

savasyn
04-07-2010, 8:01 PM
I ended up going with an un-refinished(not matching #s) vz24 rather than one of the Yugo Mausers from Big 5. It was cheaper as well, but more than the ones at J&G.
I like that it has the "been there, done that" look about it. I kinda prefer that in certain C&R rifles.
I has a bent bolt, which is interesting as most of the ones I see pictures of have straight bolts. Could it be off a K98 or did some come like that?

Here's a picture:
http://www.stuff2see.net/images4/vz24.JPG

Deadbolt
04-07-2010, 8:09 PM
buy both

whichever one is nicer : wall mount

the other : shoot the piss out of

:chris:

edit: bummer, shoulda bought J&G :(

savasyn
04-07-2010, 8:27 PM
buy both

edit: bummer, shoulda bought J&G :(

Why? Only advantage as far as I can see would have been price(and not that different). This one is said to have a bright, shiny bore(non-counter bored) and good stock. J&G lists theirs as "They have the crest scrubbed from the receivers, mismatched numbers and may have cracked handguards, and bores will be dark and may be counter-bored, but still a shootable and historical rifle."

Argonaut
04-08-2010, 2:04 PM

and they were right!!!!!