PDA

View Full Version : 50 cal registration

ADDICTEDto.223LOWERS
02-17-2006, 12:13 AM
hi, i made my own 50 caliber receiver in 2004 from plans i got online. is it legal for me to register it if i went out and got a serial number engraved on it? also when is the cut off date and where can i get a registration card! :rolleyes:

Juniper Kid
02-17-2006, 1:04 AM
hi, i made my own 50 caliber receiver in 2004 from plans i got online. is it legal for me to register it if i went out and got a serial number engraved on it? also when is the cut off date and where can i get a registration card! :rolleyes:

No, you must have it completed and serialized before 1/1/05.

Can you prove that you "made" it before 1/1/05?

Do you have a verifiable receipt to prove that you bought a 4130 steel for your "receiver" and completed it prior to 1/1/05?

You said, you found "50 caliber plans" online? I call BS on you, there are No, so called "50 caliber" plans that you all the sudden "found" online.

What is your name, maybe the DOJ people will pay you a visit?

It's people like you that give gun owners a bad name.

Back in '04, I had to work every weekend at my Grandpa's ranch as a cow hand..... to be able to afford a fifty, work sucks but I had to do it....

Man up and admit you made a mistake of not buying one prior to the ban.

:rolleyes:

bu-bye
02-17-2006, 1:11 AM
Lets slow down here. You, me, everyone has no right to say when he made it. If he didn't make it by 05 then thats between him and the power that be.

If you made it before 05, its not semiauto with a pistol grip and it has a SN# yes you can reg it. Reg forms can be sent to you by the DOJ if you request them or you could ask your local FFL if they have any.

Juniper Kid
02-17-2006, 1:20 AM
He said, it doesn't have a serial number on it...

no serial number = not completed according to the DOJ...

Thank you.

Rumpled
02-17-2006, 1:38 AM
From the horses mouth

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/50bmgfaqs.htm#27

Here is the info you need.
27-29 seem most relevant

Juniper,
There are and were plans for home-built .50 BMG rifles online.
So, cut him a little slack.

ADDICTEDto.223LOWERS
02-17-2006, 3:25 AM
there is no law that states a home made rifle has to be have a serial number on it. it is recommended in the event that it is stolen and can easily be identified. also there are many sources and plans for home built rifle. goto the homegunsmith.com forum and pay for the membership and there is a library of information for you. whats with the stick juniper kid? i just had a simple questions. i didnt need the call for shinatigans. get your information right before you post. I CALL SHINATIGANS ON YOU JUNIPER KID! :D

thanks bu-bye and rumpled for the support and help

Juniper Kid
02-17-2006, 9:10 AM
.......... get your information right before you post.....

I believe there is a law stating that each homebuilt firearm must have a serial number, in your original post you stated that your receiver isn't serialized, well guess what? your "receiver" is now contraband in the state of California.

Do you have Verifiable proof that you bought a 4130 steel to make a homebuilt receiver? Do you have Verifiable proof that you made it prior to 1/1/05? Do you have verifiable Dated receipts from the store that you bought a 4130 steel blank, etc. prior to 1/1/05?

I'm sure the DOJ is reading your thread and they will look into it..... :rolleyes:

ADDICTEDto.223LOWERS
02-17-2006, 10:19 AM
can you show me a link to the law?

i bought a solid cast receiver from tanneryshop.com

yes i have a reciept dated 4/26/04

helli DOJ how r u today? may i help you out with anything?

and im studying to be a M.D. specializing in gastriintestinal surgery. do u want help removing the stick juniper? i'll give you a calguns.net discount since you are a senior member ;)

Juniper Kid
02-17-2006, 11:41 AM
can you show me a link to the law?

i bought a solid cast receiver from tanneryshop.com

yes i have a reciept dated 4/26/04

helli DOJ how r u today? may i help you out with anything?

and im studying to be a M.D. specializing in gastriintestinal surgery. do u want help removing the stick juniper? i'll give you a calguns.net discount since you are a senior member ;)

You should read what was posted in this thread.. the Ca DOJ required a completed and SerialIZED receiver made prior to 1/1/05.

What you are planning on doing is fraud and I have forwarded your thread to the DOJ for further review.

You bought a solid cast receiver? LOL.. even knowledgable people are having a hard time completing an 80% receiver much less a 0% solid cast receiver, you sir are a joke to your fellow gun owners.

Do you have proof that you completed your "receiver" prior to 1/1/05? I bet you don't. Besides, it's a moot point when your original post said, your "receiver"(if you even have a completed one) is Not serialized, what you have is contraband in the state of California.

Jeff Rambo
02-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Discuss the original topic. Leave the insults out.

]-|-[ GunBomB
02-17-2006, 1:23 PM
What you are planning on doing is fraud and I have forwarded your thread to the DOJ for further review.
[/QUOTE]

Damn, you gonna run to the man and tell teacher about what you think you saw in the schoolyard?? The DOJ is on here everyday, looking at every thread. May it burn in hell.

Josh
02-17-2006, 2:05 PM
You should read what was posted in this thread.. the Ca DOJ required a completed and SerialIZED receiver made prior to 1/1/05.

You bought a solid cast receiver? LOL.. even knowledgable people are having a hard time completing an 80% receiver much less a 0% solid cast receiver, you sir are a joke to your fellow gun owners.

Do you have proof that you completed your "receiver" prior to 1/1/05? I bet you don't. Besides, it's a moot point when your original post said, your "receiver"(if you even have a completed one) is Not serialized, what you have is contraband in the state of California.

There is NO law stating you NEED to put a serial number on a home built anything. It is considered a complete firearm the second that it is capable of firing a bullet not when the serial number is on it. I have no idea where you are getting your facts but you need to back off and mind your own business.

You based all of this on a law you "believe" exists WTF.

There are tons of info on building your own .50 receiver, people post their own builds along with the infor for the M2 side plates.

Who pissed in your cheerios this morning.

CALI-gula
02-17-2006, 3:52 PM

You can build at home AND register your receiver as a homebuilt gun - that is in the FAQ for .50's at the DOJ website.

By the way, there ARE plans on-line for building an M2HB sideplate, which is merely a thick square piece of steel with specific holes drilled strategically. VERY easy to make. Now you just need the kit to build it into a rifle, but the plate IS the receiver none-the-less.

Other 50BMG rifles have simplistic receivers, and many can easily be built at home; some are a simple tube like the Serbu or fully laid out plans online, like the original Maadi-Griffin. Even what Barrett called a receiver was nothing more than a tiny piece of stamped sheet metal. What Bluegrass calls a receiver, a good machinist could make over several hours of spare time.

I know several people that have made their own M2HB side plate, and will building full rifles, so the possibility is logical.

You build it, you state the date you built it, and you put your own serial number on it (which is ONLY for the sake of the AB50 registration, but as Juniper noted, should have been done before 1/1/05).

xenophobe
02-17-2006, 4:01 PM
Josh, Addicted, as was posted earlier in this thread by Rumpled... you both didn't bother to click the links, so I'll cut and paste for you, and provide you with the link (again)

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/50bmgfaqs.htm#27

# What identification information must be permanently affixed to the receiver portion of a home built firearm?

A serial number. An individual may assign any unique serial number, such as a unique driver license number, to any home built firearm.

# Does the California Department of Justice recognize percentages of completion of unfinished receivers as receivers?

Only a fully functional, serialized receiver is considered a receiver for the purpose of California firearms laws.

# To what extent must a homebuilt receiver be completed prior to January 1, 2005, to qualify for registration as a .50 BMG rifle?

A home built receiver must be fully functional and serialized to be considered lawfully possessed prior to January 1, 2005 for the purpose of .50 BMG rifle registration. For homemade rifles or receivers, "USA" or "homemade" should be denoted as the make on the registration application form, and either a model name or "homemade" or "unknown" should be denoted as the model on the registration application form.

Josh
02-17-2006, 4:21 PM
to me this is like the doj memo.

there is no law that states as such.

CALI-gula
02-17-2006, 4:40 PM
to me this is like the doj memo.

there is no law that states as such.

12285. (a) Etc., etc., then (2) Except as provided in subdivision (a) of Section 12280, any person who lawfully possesses any .50 BMG rifle prior to January 1, 2005, that is not specified as an assault weapon under Section 12276 or 12276.5 or defined as an assault weapon pursuant to Section 12276.1, shall register the .50 BMG rifle with the department no later than April 30, 2006, pursuant to those procedures that the department may establish. The registration shall contain a description of the firearm that identifies it uniquely, including all identification marks, the full name, address, date of birth, and thumbprint of the owner, and any other information that the department may deem appropriate.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are correct under normal circumstances; however, a serial number is required in order to register the .50BMG rifle under the AB50/Assault Weapon law, so in turn, you need a serial number that identifies that receiver if the department "deems appropriate" which they have done by requiring it on the registration form. When it is declared an AW by the state, it is no longer a simple home built rifle in the eyes of CA, which does NOT require a serial number.

Therefore, it must be uniquely identifiable by the DOJ when being registered, and they have deemed it appropriate to include a serial number on the form. This allows them a lot of flexibility; they might one day "deem appropriate" you note what color it might be, or how many decibles it registers when fired, no matter how ridiculous!

The .50BMG registration card requires the serial number - leaving it blank will get your registration submission rejected. Horrible, but true. :(

Josh
02-17-2006, 7:28 PM
yes you need it to register it thats a duh thing. But theres nothing in the law that states it had to have the serial number by some date.

As long as he made it before jan 1st 05, into a functioning receiver hes good.

And really how do you prove when it was put on there.

50 Freak
02-17-2006, 8:08 PM

Not a good way to make friends here Juniper.:mad: :mad:

I suggest you relax and not be so confrontational.

ADDICTEDto.223LOWERS
02-17-2006, 9:51 PM
thanks for the info guys

Rumpled
02-17-2006, 9:55 PM
The registration shall contain a description of the firearm that identifies it uniquely,

I could easily interpret that ending phrase right there as being a serial number.

To the heart of the matter.
A question was asked. Answers to the question have been given with relevant cites and links.
Let the original poster do with the info and advice as he would like.
No need for flames or attacks.

dwtt
02-17-2006, 10:07 PM
I think we have a DOJ mole here.

EBWhite
02-18-2006, 1:17 AM
I think Juniperkid should be forwarded to the BAN list...

DOJ, please add him to the Kasler list, ASAP!!!! ahhhh

ADDICTEDto.223LOWERS
02-18-2006, 1:33 AM
haha good one :D

CALI-gula
02-18-2006, 1:38 AM
I could easily interpret that ending phrase right there as being a serial number.
To the heart of the matter.
A question was asked. Answers to the question have been given with relevant cites and links. Let the original poster do with the info and advice as he would like. No need for flames or attacks.

I was merely citing the actual details about the serial number as the DOJ sees it, with their inclusion of all of their considerations as it is written in the law, not just the opinion of FAQ. And you are correct, I would not get hung up on serial "number"; you can make it anything you want, too - your name, your dog's name, even "Fück You Arnold!" if you wish. LOL!! :D

Yet, while Josh has noted there is no law that the serial number be on a home made receiver prior to 1/1/2005, the ban actually went into effect on 1/1/2005, whereby it was at that point that the .50BMG receiver became an AW in CA, and therefore needing a serial number.

The ban is not effective 4/30/06 - that is just the registration paperwork deadline date. The receiver already needed a serial number for any looming and potential presentation for registration as of 1/1/05. If you had been caught with an un-serialized receiver after 1/1/05, it would have been an illegal firearm in CA. Now, you might say, "but who's to know if my homebuilt 50BMG was serilaized before 1/1/05 or not?" and you would be right, nobody will probably ever know.

So why debate it? If this is the case, it would be in one's best interest, in light of the .50BMG FAQ, that while the FAQ is NOT the law, to adhere to FAQ items 22 - 26 and state their home-built receiver was serialized before 1/1/2005. No need to shout about whether it was or was not, or the rights or laws saying it is not mandated, etc.; just simply state: it was serialized before 1/1/05 and give an actual date of the completion.