PDA

View Full Version : Best Type of Home Defense Firearm For a Woman

D Day Dog
04-06-2010, 8:13 PM
Lookin' to buy the wife a firearm for home protection while I'm off doing man stuff. I have a few handguns, but not sure what would be best for her? She's a petite gal and my .44 and .41 mags. are obviously way too much for her. I'm not a 9mm fan, so I don't have any of those. My thought was a double action barrel gun of some kind (no farting around with a slide), but then she only gets 6 quarters. I have taught her to shoot, but she's still intimidated by guns, even .22s.

Thoughts? Calibers? Makes? Models? Experiences? Lock her in a steel room for the weekend....? :rolleyes: Whatdoyathink guys? Thanks.

D Day

858casper858
04-06-2010, 8:34 PM
Pepper spray, a kick to the groin, and hand cuffs. No joke, my wife is intimidated by firearms too. Bought the above items and showed her how to use them, she's confident she'll be able to react if needed.

Lone_Gunman
04-06-2010, 8:39 PM
20 gauge break action might be good.

evidens83
04-06-2010, 8:46 PM
It doesnt matter if you're not a 9mm fan because its for her right? I'd have her try a Glock 19, XD9, or M&P9. Adequate stopping power and comfortable round to shoot for women IMO. Probably add a Crimson Trace laser too. Whatever firearm she gets make sure she gets plenty of range time too! A self defense course is highly reccomended as well. Another cheaper and safer option is a taser and/or pepper spray or mace.

Lucky Scott
04-06-2010, 9:00 PM
Why are women different than men????

My wife likes her 9mm semi auto, and I also have a pump action shotgun for her as well.

She started off with a .25 cal and decided that was too small, moved to a .38 revolver and she is deadly accurate with that, but really loves the additional capacity of a 9mm magazine.

Whatever you get, go to the range on a regular basic and get her comfortable with it.

Sajedene
04-06-2010, 9:04 PM
Why are women different than men????

Oh you know why... :p

And I don't know. I am tiny and petite and I love my Glock 27. That's .40 cal and I can handle it well. I also love the Beretta (92FS / 96) .40 cal as well.

I don't even remember when the last time I shot a 9mm. :o

Lucky Scott
04-06-2010, 9:09 PM
Oh, believe me, I know why women are different than men!
After all, its a womans world.

But if I get shot by a women with a gun or get shot by a man with a gun, then what is the difference?
My wife is probably a better shot than me, and can be mean as a junkyard dog. I would not want her shooting at me.

Sajedene
04-06-2010, 10:13 PM
But if I get shot by a women with a gun or get shot by a man with a gun, then what is the difference?

True true.

Purple K
04-06-2010, 10:24 PM
OK.... Does SHE want a gun for her protection or, do YOU want her to have a gun for her protection. If she doesn't want it or doesn't feel comfortable with it, she probably won't use it when the need arrises and runs the risk of having the gun used against her. Ask her what SHE wants: Taser, Mace, 20 ga. shotgun, revolver with snake loads, etc, etc, etc. Talk to her.

D Day Dog
04-06-2010, 10:46 PM
True true.

Honestly, and I'm not being a chauvinist here, but a woman with a gun pointed in my face would scare the s**t outta me. I've had men shoot at me and, somehow, the thought of that doesn't seem as scary comparing the two. Women can be very calculated and deliberate in what they do - and they learn fast too on subjects like this because they pay attention more. Men act like they know it all. Women make excellent markswomen and do extremely well in safety courses. As much as I'd like them to be (for obvious reasons) they aren't all dumb blondes. :)

I have talked to her. She's got to the point of asking me what firearm I'm gonna take out of the safe and leave for her while I'm gone. She does want her own firearm - just not one of my magnums - and my P22 doesn't cut it. My pistols are all at the low and high end calibers. I've never owned anything between a .22 and a .41. If you hunt and adventure in Alaska like I do, you'd know why...

I'd definitely have her shoot whatever she buys/wants regularly to get in good practice. I've taken several firearm safety courses, including conceal carry, shot in competition, avid hunter, military firearm collector, etc. I come from a long line of hunter and shooters. She won't get newb training.

A taser might be a good idea too, but tasers have been known to not put someone down right away and it's shorter range. I'd rather her be able to shoot through the wall if needed.

I was actually thinkin' maybe a 9mm Baretta. Very reliable from what I've been told and lots of ammo and easy smooth action. But a .40 cal. would put more stopping power down range. A .20 gauge? - nah, a shotgun is outta the question for her and not enough bullets.

D Day

Purple K
04-06-2010, 10:53 PM
At 2am, scared, half asleep and full of adrenalin she's only going to shoot about half as good as her WORST day at the range. Just like the Cop dash cameras where there's forty shots fired ten feet apart and knowone gets hit. Give her a shotgun, there's no aiming, just point and shoot.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
04-07-2010, 9:35 AM
One she can hit the target with. Shotgun!

XYZ
04-07-2010, 9:37 AM
I have taught her to shoot, but she's still intimidated by guns, even .22s.

D Day

If she's intimidated by guns but you want her to have some kind of home defense protection - you may want to consider a taser with a couple of extra cartridges and Fox Pepper Spray. Those are probably the next best things to a handgun or rifle for someone that doesn't feel comfortable shooting.

Aldemar
04-07-2010, 10:52 AM
When my daughter moved out, I gave her a S&W 686 as a housewarming gift. She can handle the kick of a .357 but told her to keep .38's in it for follow-up shot reasons.

I wanted to give her one of my 1911's. She can shoot the wings off a fly with one but she doesn't practice malfunction drills enough to be proficient should she really need to.

A revolver will go bang every time you pull the trigger, a semi-auto may not and in a panic situation fine motor skills go away in a hurry.

tuna quesadilla
04-07-2010, 11:23 AM
At 2am, scared, half asleep and full of adrenalin she's only going to shoot about half as good as her WORST day at the range. Just like the Cop dash cameras where there's forty shots fired ten feet apart and knowone gets hit. Give her a shotgun, there's no aiming, just point and shoot.

Umm, no. That is absolutely, positively incorrect. At home defense ranges you have to aim a shotgun just as much as you would aim a pistol or a rifle. The whole "12 gauge shotgun wiping out a whole hallway full of bad guys" is pure HOLLYWOOD. Please don't spread BS advice like this when peoples' lives are on the line.

C.W.M.V.
04-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Well my wife loves her glock 17. Not my favorite but shes a good shot with it and shes competent with the weapon.

If you ask her though shed probably go for the bird shot loaded Mossy 500 or my PSL.

DaveFJ80
04-07-2010, 11:46 AM
My wife is petite and small, but I've shown her how to use my Glock 19 and she's shot it to familiarize herself with it. She still has a long way to go, but she's at least familiar with it (and she knows it's a last resort, where as if something happens while I'm gone she knows to call the cops first and take cover... with the Glock).

As much as I'd rather have her use my Benelli SuperNova, she will never want to shoot it, even at a private range or what not. She's too scared of it and even if she holds it, I'm more worried about her dropping it on the floor and scratching/denting it.

potatonrules
04-07-2010, 12:17 PM
I say use their most effective weapon. The stopping power of guilt-trip.

Just kidding ladies. I know im a jackass.

k1dude
04-07-2010, 12:52 PM
IMHO, if she doesn't like guns, she will likely not use one when it counts, or she will hesitate and make things worse for herself. If she's afraid of a .22, you pretty much have no chance convincing her to use a firearm. She will probably have a problem with tasers, clubs and knives too.

Some people shouldn't use guns. They don't have the proper mindset. Unless she begins to shoot a lot more and enjoy it, you're fighting a losing battle (and potentially dangerous for her). On top of that, she has to be ready to kill someone if it should ever come to that. That's a very very tough decision for many people. If she has a philosophical/religious problem with that, a gun will do her no good.

I suspect she'll just have to use a frying pan and cell phone if that what she's most comfortable with. You might have a chance convincing her about pepper spray though. Just make sure she knows which end to point at the bad guy.

IGOTDIRT4U
04-07-2010, 1:05 PM
My wife would just grab the first handgun she sees when opens the safe. If she had to go use a gun, I would fear for my life if I was the bad guy...you would have to do something pretty stupid to get her that pissed off. She isn't going to care what it is, as long as it goes "BOOM".

However, she likes my XD45 Tactical and the Ruger GP 100 in 38Sp +P.

D Day Dog
04-07-2010, 4:41 PM
We talked about it again today, and I'm taking her to a local shooting club this weekend where she can try out several different types of hand guns. No sense buying one and then finding out later that it's not right for her.

Personally, I like the reliability of a barrel gun. But that's just my preference.

D Day

Purple K
04-07-2010, 5:09 PM
Umm, no. That is absolutely, positively incorrect. At home defense ranges you have to aim a shotgun just as much as you would aim a pistol or a rifle. The whole "12 gauge shotgun wiping out a whole hallway full of bad guys" is pure HOLLYWOOD. Please don't spread BS advice like this when peoples' lives are on the line.

I never said that a twelve guage would wipe out a hallway full of bad guys. The facts are that this woman is not an accomplished shooter, it'll most likely be late at night, she may have been awoken from a deep sleep, shell be full of fear and adrenalin. She's more likely to hit her intended target with multiple pellets from a shotgun than with single projectiles from a handgun. The point I was trying to make about "point and shoot" is that aiming with a shotgun is a lot more forgiving than it is with a pistol. I've been confronted by an armed assailant in the past. I know.....

orangevale
04-07-2010, 6:41 PM
There are no petite women at my house. My wife is 5’9” and the daughter is 5’10”. They both have HD dedicated 20ga Remington 1100s with six round magazines. My wife has glommed onto my S&W 042 has her back-up.

Have you considered a pistol caliber carbine? She’d have the same firepower as a pistol, but with more control.

Final word based on my experience, if this is “her” gun; set it up for her, the way she likes it (even if you disagree) and keep your mitts off of it unless invited (usually to clean it).

Good hunting.

D Day Dog
04-07-2010, 7:02 PM
There are no petite women at my house. My wife is 5’9” and the daughter is 5’10”. They both have HD dedicated 20ga Remington 1100s with six round magazines. My wife has glommed onto my S&W 042 has her back-up.

Have you considered a pistol caliber carbine? She’d have the same firepower as a pistol, but with more control.

Final word based on my experience, if this is “her” gun; set it up for her, the way she likes it (even if you disagree) and keep your mitts off of it unless invited (usually to clean it).

Good hunting.

In all honesty, if the safe was open, she could have her choice of the following:

Bushmaster XM15 AR15 .223
Colt AR15 SP1 .223
Polytech Dbl Underfolder AKS 7.62x39
AES10B RPK 7.62x39
Vector Ddl Underfolder AK47 7.62x39
MP44/PTR44 8mm Kurz
Galil/Golani .223
K98 Sniper 8mm Mauser
Remington 12 gauage
Ithaca 12 gauge
Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag.
Ruger Blackhawk .41 Mag.
IMI Desert Eagle .44 Mag.
Chipmunk .22
Walther P22 .22
Winchester M70 30.06 Pre-64
Winchester M70 30.06
Winchester M70 .300 Mag.
Ruger Red Label O/U .28 gauge
Siaga .410
Remington .410
Remington Dbl Brl .16 gauge.

Oh yeah, it'll definitely be her gun and she can set it up however she wants AND despite my best efforts to have her do otherwise, I will end up cleaning it. :rolleyes:

D Day

oddjob
04-07-2010, 7:29 PM
How about your Walther P22?

randy
04-08-2010, 3:01 AM
mini 14

IllTemperedCur
04-08-2010, 3:16 PM
We talked about it again today, and I'm taking her to a local shooting club this weekend where she can try out several different types of hand guns. No sense buying one and then finding out later that it's not right for her.

Bingo.

And if you haven't already done so, BOTH of you should look over Kathy Jackson's www.corneredcat.com. One of the best sites ever for new shooters, and for the experienced shooters who are introducing their loved ones to firearms.

dominic
04-08-2010, 3:53 PM
I have a few handguns, but not sure what would be best for her? She's a petite gal and my .44 and .41 mags. are obviously way too much for her.
D Day

Being a petite gal is no excuse. Annie Oakley was less than 5 ft. tall:

10Oa1i6EQmc

berto
04-08-2010, 4:06 PM
Take your wife to the range. Get her comfortable with shooting, the .22 is a fine place to start. Rent a variety of makes and calibers. Buy what she's most comfortable using.

MultiCal
04-09-2010, 9:43 AM
Have your wife get more range time. And find a gun that she likes and will use.
My wife's first choice is the shotgun loaded with 00 shot. She says that she is more comfortable using it than the others. And she knows how to use it well. She comes from a family that hunts. :D

Californio
04-09-2010, 3:13 PM
Rem 870 20ga with a Youth Stock

nitrofc
04-09-2010, 8:09 PM
She has a .40 cal.....and shoots it well.
She has a 12 G. Mag. (Practices with 00Buck) .....and shoots it good enough.

Some people think 500 H.P. is a lot power.....and others think 2,000 H.P. is a lot of power.

It all depends on the person and what they can handle and be good at.

MP301
04-09-2010, 9:34 PM
This is a very easy question to answer.

Whatever she is most comfortable with. Duh!

Why is it necessary for the guy to decide what the women should have. Is this a control issue that needs to be addressed?

If the guy decides what she should be using...and she doesnt like it, do you think that maybe she will be less likely to learn to use it properly and become proficient with it?

I learned this lesson the hard way. I bought a 3913 for my GF at the time because it I thought it would fit her hand and be easy for her to shoot. When we split up a few years later, she left the 3913 and took my 1911 with her!

Man, I miss that 1911......

Snake eyes
04-09-2010, 9:54 PM
IMHO, if she doesn't like guns, she will likely not use one when it counts, or she will hesitate and make things worse for herself. If she's afraid of a .22, you pretty much have no chance convincing her to use a firearm. She will probably have a problem with tasers, clubs and knives too.

Some people shouldn't use guns. They don't have the proper mindset. Unless she begins to shoot a lot more and enjoy it, you're fighting a losing battle (and potentially dangerous for her). On top of that, she has to be ready to kill someone if it should ever come to that. That's a very very tough decision for many people. If she has a philosophical/religious problem with that, a gun will do her no good.

I suspect she'll just have to use a frying pan and cell phone if that what she's most comfortable with. You might have a chance convincing her about pepper spray though. Just make sure she knows which end to point at the bad guy.

ABSOLUTELY! This is the best advice on this thread.

No offense but I think you're looking at the subject of self-defense completely backwards. And SOO many people do this. They think "Self-defense, I'll by a gun, I'll learn how to use it, I'll do some target shooting and I'm set." WRONG.

Take the time to ask the question, "What is self-defense?". The answer is, THE WILL TO KILL ANOTHER HUMAN BEING, AT CLOSE RANGE, WITHOUT MERCY OR HESITATION WHEN FACING IMMINENT, VIOLENT DEATH. Yes I said KILL. Because if you draw any weapon on another person you had better be 100% ready TO KILL because the only other choice may be your own death. And no one should ever think, not for one second, that all they have to do is point their gun at a bad guy and he will go away. Some may, others will take that gun away from you and beat you to death with it.

Before ANYONE even thinks about getting a gun for self-defense, they need to take a real long, hard look inside themselves and ask "Do I have it in me to look another person in the eyes and shoot them dead?" If the answer is no, maybe some other method of self-defense is the answer. Dogs, pepper spray, a good alarm system.

People (especially gun people), often make the mistake of thinking that a gun is the all-purpose answer to the issue of self-defense, it's not. Some might think, "What's the harm in buying a gun for someone who might not use it, maybe they would?" Well, perhaps there is no harm, or perhaps all you're buying is a false sense of security at the expense of REAL security. If you buy someone a gun who won't use it, thinking that the issue of security is covered, you might overlook other methods of security that would be used. And in doing so, set your loved ones up for disaster.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest having a VERY serious discussion with your wife about what self-defense REALLY means. Of course if the subject matter is to intense for her, if she's not receptive to it, that should tell you right there that putting a gun in her drawer might do more harm than good.

D Day Dog
04-10-2010, 4:32 PM
Okay, so we got back from the indoor range today and the wife is really gettng into this. After orientation, I felt it best to leave her with an instructor so I wouldn't hover over her. I went down 3 stalls away and shot targets with my .44 and .41.

After about 20-25 minutes I went down to ask how she was doing. She'd started with the Walther P22 I'd brought and shot 6 other pistols, working her way up to a .40 SW. I asked her what calibers she liked the most and she said the 9mms. She'd tried out a Browning HiPower; a 92 Baretta, a Glock 26, and a 5904 SW. She really liked the feel of the Baretta, but said she liked the weight and control of the Glock better. I encouraged her to try as many as she wanted to.

After another 20-30 minutes she was only shooting the Glock - and was doing very well with it. She even asked for the target carrier to be moved father down range so she could check her accuracy at longer distances. She did a sensational job and wants to go again soon.

At lunch afterwards, all she could talk about is wanting a new Glock, how much are they, where to buy them, what colors do they come in :rolleyes: etc. She doesn't even have it yet and I was told I couldn't use it. I will enjoy watching her clean it... I suggested a few more outings before she made up her mind 100%. I anticipate surfing the local shops and GB in the near future.

Thanks for the imput folks. Given a choice of a frying pan, pepper spray, taser or just a phone to place a call with, she's going with a pistol.

D Day

k1dude
04-10-2010, 8:42 PM
Congrats! It appears you have a convert. I'm glad she's tougher than I initially thought.

Have her try a Sig too. My wife LOVES Sigs in 9mm.

nrvnqsrxk
04-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Glad she chose a Glock in 9mm in the end. I think she'll be a force to reckon with (:<

Deal
04-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Glad to hear it all worked out.

Please folks, lay off the idea that kicking a man in the groin is good self defense and will work.

We have all experienced it and it is not fun to be certain.

But, how many more times have you been hit, kicked or had some kind of a blow to that general region that missed slightly enough that it really didn't hurt.

To tell a woman to "just kick them in the nuts" is flirting with danger. If she does not hit just right, and odds are she won't. all that has happened is now the guy is mad, really mad.

Get educated on the really vunerable areas where stopping an attacker is virtually guaranteed. Or send her to be trained in hand to hand combat so that she knows what to do if she misses with a groin kick.

Rob454
04-11-2010, 3:15 PM
Youand I are int he same boat. Im gonna get my wife a small revolver chambered for 357/38 or 38. If you cant take care of something with 6 rounds you got more problems than a gun can handle especially at 10-15 foot distance

D Day Dog
04-11-2010, 7:38 PM
Congrats! It appears you have a convert. I'm glad she's tougher than I initially thought.

Have her try a Sig too. My wife LOVES Sigs in 9mm.

I told her a couple more times to the range and I will open my wallet for whatever she ultimately decides if the right one for her. I think a big part of it was me just leaving her in someone elses capable hands.

Thanks for the imput people.

D Day

johnthomas
04-11-2010, 8:18 PM
So, your looking for a woman's gun, you sure it wont get caught in her apron, or tied up in the vacuum cleaner chord? Will she have time to fetch it with cooking and running to the river for water and all? There is no such thing as a gender specific home defense firearm. My wife can shoot anything I can, as I am sure most women can. Why don't you ask her if she wants one and have her decide what she wants. We really are in the 21st century.

Sajedene
04-11-2010, 9:29 PM
Awesome! If she does go with the Glock I say that is a fine choice :D

D Day Dog
04-12-2010, 5:09 PM
So, your looking for a woman's gun, you sure it wont get caught in her apron, or tied up in the vacuum cleaner chord? Will she have time to fetch it with cooking and running to the river for water and all? There is no such thing as a gender specific home defense firearm. My wife can shoot anything I can, as I am sure most women can. Why don't you ask her if she wants one and have her decide what she wants. We really are in the 21st century.

Read my last 2 posts on the thread from the previous page. I'm far from a chauvinist who thinks a woman's place is in the home. Thank you. :rolleyes:

D Day

ilikeguns
04-12-2010, 5:27 PM
I've found that with my wife, who is 4'11 and 115 lbs, starting her on smaller calibers boosts her confidence and makes her want to shoot more and try other calibers. If I started her on a 12 gauge, She wouldn't shoot at all.