PDA

View Full Version : new guy on the block... a little help please

superhondaz50
02-16-2006, 6:42 PM
I just found out today you can have these receivers in california and I have a few questions. First if you modify one to a permanent ten rounder, and the reciver gets put on the list would you still need to register it? My second question is, if they put one on the list that you have, how would you know when the 90 day period to register it is, and how would you know it made it on the list in the first place?

blacklisted
02-16-2006, 6:45 PM
I just found out today you can have these receivers in california and I have a few questions. First if you modify one to a permanent ten rounder, and the reciver gets put on the list would you still need to register it?
My second question is, if they put one on the list that you have, how would you know when the 90 day period to register it is, and how would you know it made it on the list in the first place?

Yes. It would still have to be registered.

It will be announced, and you can see changes to the California Code of Regulations at http://www.oal.ca.gov/reg_notice.htm

superhondaz50
02-16-2006, 6:56 PM
How would it be announced? Through a letter or such? It would suck to miss the 90 day window and end up in some kind of trouble.

Jeff Rambo
02-16-2006, 6:59 PM
As long as you are a member of these forums actively checking in, you will not miss the registration period. Furthermore, a simple check of the CA DOJ Firearms Division Web site once every other week will serve you well and should be a common practice for you as a gun owner in California.

superhondaz50
02-16-2006, 8:53 PM
I just checked out the DOJ website and there is some kinda alert saying these things will be banned soon as a catagory 4 AW? What's that about? Does anyone know when the registration period will be?

Jeff Rambo
02-16-2006, 8:57 PM
That memo has been out for a couple weeks now and as of right now, it is just that... a memo. The DOJ will be challenged if they attempt to do what they have stated and there are members here on the forum that will be leading the way in the challenge from "our" side.

As of right now, no one has any idea when the Kasler list will be updated but chances are it will happen on a Friday given that is when the DOJ Firearms Divsion releases such memos, updates etc. on their Web site.

You can buy your lowers now with confidence, do not wait around kicking the tire. To answer your other question, please use the search feautre. This topic has been discussed.

superhondaz50
02-16-2006, 9:38 PM
Thanks for all the help, I bought my lower today, and am waiting my 10 days to pick it up. I've already bought the mag hold thing, and a Bushmaster 10 round mag. I'm just trying to get my facts straight, as there are so many different stories going around about these lowers.

tenpercentfirearms
02-17-2006, 5:30 AM
Here is the simple thing you have to understand. You are buying a stripped lower with the sole intent of making it a 10 round fixed magazine rifle. That is it. Make sure you have that 10 round magazine fixed into the rifle to where it requires the use of a tool to remove it. Never have the magazine out while there is a pistol grip, flash suppressor, collapsable stock, thumbhole stock, ,forward pistol grip, or a grenade/flare launcher on it. If you do, you are a felon and this isn't worth a felony.

If you hang out around here, you will know if the DOJ lists any new rifles to the Kasler List. The DOJ has claimed if they list the rifles you will not be able to add any Category 3 features to the firearm. At this point in time, treat that like it were fact. You only want this as a 10 round fixed magazine rifle anyway. If the DOJ does this, there will be numerous legal challenges, so just be patient to find out where this goes. Again, this thing isn't going to be quick or easy, so just get a couple of lowers and shoot them in state with a fixed mag in them or head out of state and shoot them how you want and make sure you fix them before you come back.

Ask if you have anymore questions.

JAMES77257
02-17-2006, 5:54 AM
If you do, you are a felon and this isn't worth a felony.

You are only a felon if you are caught and convicted of a felony.

tenpercentfirearms
02-17-2006, 7:22 AM
James, it isn't worth it to even talk that way. The last thing we should want to do is encourage someone to "not get caught" and have them get busted. Either you plan on leaving this thing a fixed mag or you shouldn't be screwing with it. It is extremely important we get across to everyone this is not some game, it is cold harsh reality. Screw this up and you could go to prison for 4, 6, 8 years. Not congical visits, "state pound me in the *** prison". :eek:

superhondaz50
02-17-2006, 7:44 AM
ok, thanks for all the info, i'm just gonna keep my eye on this forum, and the DOJ website, to keep mself constantly updated. I was going to buy the vulcan fixed mag lower, but my dealer said why waste the time and money doing that when you can buy an open receiver and make it fixed for half the price.

JAMES77257
02-17-2006, 8:01 AM
James, it isn't worth it to even talk that way. The last thing we should want to do is encourage someone to "not get caught" and have them get busted. Either you plan on leaving this thing a fixed mag or you shouldn't be screwing with it. It is extremely important we get across to everyone this is not some game, it is cold harsh reality. Screw this up and you could go to prison for 4, 6, 8 years. Not congical visits, "state pound me in the *** prison". :eek:

I agree 100%, I was just stating the facts. Do you send a check in everytime you go over the speed limit? Actually a first time AW violation is a mere infraction as long as you arn't transporting it when you are cited.

(b) Any person who, within this state, possesses any assault weapon, except as provided in this chapter, is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail for a period not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison. However, a first violation of these provisions is punishable by a fine not exceeding five hundred dollars ($500)

You know me Wes, I mean no disrespect. Just a friendly debate. :)

-James

bwiese
02-17-2006, 8:30 AM
I agree 100%, I was just stating the facts. Do you send a check in everytime you go over the speed limit? Actually a first time AW violation is a mere infraction as long as you arn't transporting it when you are cited.

(b) Any person who, within this state, possesses any assault weapon, except as provided in this chapter, is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail for a period not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison. However, a first violation of these provisions is punishable by a fine not exceeding five hundred dollars ($500)

The problem with this is that transport could possibly be inferred from the fact of possession. May not stand up in court at end of day, but you could still have a felony charge. Remember, charges are thrown at you to see what sticks.

The new law is also unclear about multiple unreg'd AWs. There's a chance - and I have to re-read it - that ownership of even other registered AWs might effect how you are charged. I have to delve into this.

tenpercentfirearms
02-17-2006, 8:34 AM
I know James. Part of my overly cautious attitude has to do with the fact I am a FFL and the DOJ would love to catch me encouraging someone to break the law. You are saying what everyone knows, but some people don't need any ideas.

Also I don't think they are going to get you for possession of an assault weapon. I think they will get you for manufacture of an assault weapon. I think the possession on is for people who didn't register. If you pop out your mag, they might get you for manufacture and then it is off to state pound me in the *** prison!

eje
02-17-2006, 8:47 AM

You know me Wes, I mean no disrespect. Just a friendly debate. :)

-James

Just wanted to point out that there are several conditions to qualify for an infraction, one of which can no longer be met P.C. 12280(b)(3).