PDA

View Full Version : Driving on BLM land

77bawls
04-06-2010, 2:43 PM
Can you drive where ever your vehicle will go? In Nevada you can just turn off the main road and drive off into the wilderness.

Bearclaw
04-06-2010, 2:54 PM
All of the places I've been, you have to stay on the roads, and you are only supposed to park no more than 15 feet from the road...to protect the vegatation. And often times they are "closed to vehicles" during fire season. But it may depend on the BLM area you are on.

professionalcoyotehunter
04-06-2010, 2:54 PM
Correct. There is most of the time no trail blazing in CA.

Bearclaw
04-06-2010, 3:09 PM

But I sure see a lot of the other kind of blazing!

77bawls
04-06-2010, 4:58 PM
Fair enough. Are there many roads that go through BLM land? I know there are a ton that go through US forest service land.

Hunt
04-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Southern CA has a special Desert Conservation zone that sets it apart from the rest of USA. special rules here in southland, google map it you can see all the jeep trails on google

randy
04-07-2010, 12:24 AM
So if you're riding with say 5 buddys and one of them turns off the trail and starts a new trail. If you're the 5th guy could that now be an established trail?

Or would you have to turn around and follow the trail back for it to be established?

Rover
04-07-2010, 12:45 AM

Mostly true, but not entirely. There are a very few open areas where you're free to drive everywhere you feel like, you just can't purposely damage plant-life or animals. The BLM will not cite you if you roll a race-truck at 97mph and crush a few plants along the way (ask me how I know:rolleyes:).

I'd be very careful about trail-blazing in Nevada, the BLM out there are a whole different kind of evil. I've received an offroading ticket for making too much dust while driving on a marked road. The Nevada BLM will cite you for unintentional plant damage, and everybody in the vehicle gets a ticket, not just the driver (again, ask me how I know:mad:).

If you can avoid being an idiot, the BLM rangers in California are actually really nice and supportive of land use for anything and everything the land is designated for. Never met an unfriendly ranger, and I've met a whole lot of rangers.