PDA

View Full Version : Have you freaked out non-hunters?

Vtec44
04-06-2010, 2:48 PM
Typically I try to stick to the main trails while hiking to my spot so I don't damage the vegitation. However, the problem with that is that I often run into a lot of people, and most are not hunters. How do you guys deal with non-hunters while hunting? Have you had any negative experience?

Baxter
04-06-2010, 3:15 PM
Remember when they ask, "What are you hunting?", reply, anything that moves and everything will be okay.

beauregard
04-06-2010, 3:15 PM
YEah. In upstate NY I once had some hippy-trust-fund kids start yelling when they saw I had a rifle. They were trying to "scare the deer away." They ended up tasting pretty good.

Vtec44
04-06-2010, 3:42 PM
They ended up tasting pretty good.

I've never had hippies before. :p

In all seriousness, I try to be as nice as possible so they don't think that all hunters are crazy.

mif_slim
04-06-2010, 3:43 PM

In all seriousness, I try to be as nice as possible so they don't think that all hunters are crazy.

LOL, I had to bust out laughing when I read that. haha

But no I havent had that issue due to the area I hunt in.. Very secluded.

Bearclaw
04-06-2010, 3:51 PM
Just like mif slim, I've never really come across that many people. But the few times that I have, I just smile and say Hi. Never had any problems.

repomanNWP
04-06-2010, 3:53 PM
Only issue I've had is dirty looks or comments like "you are not allowed to carry a gun here".... (here = US forest service public land). So far in my young hunting experience, that's been the exception, most people are perfectly nice and curious.

For those anti's, I politely reply that its perfectly legal to hunt and I proceed my way. No sense getting into it out on the trail, and definitely no reason to make them even more negative against hunters.

LloydXmas250
04-06-2010, 4:37 PM
I've had a few different experiences. Once a guy joked, "don't shoot." Another wished me luck and another called the police but by the time they came I was well high into the hills watching everything below.

professionalcoyotehunter
04-06-2010, 4:45 PM
Happens all the time off the Angeles Crest trail but most of them don't freak out to much and long as you have barrel direction awareness.

77bawls
04-06-2010, 5:54 PM
and another called the police but by the time they came I was well high into the hills watching everything below.

I wonder how their conversation went.

sorensen440
04-06-2010, 5:57 PM
Ive come across hikers while deer hunting before
They didn't seem freaked out but I did recommend they should buy some orange to wear during deer season.

G-Man WC
04-06-2010, 6:34 PM
I've run into a few. I just tell them to be careful of the crazy vietnam vet that's guarding his cash crop over the hill in the direction there heading towards now.
-g

LloydXmas250
04-06-2010, 6:36 PM
I wonder how their conversation went.

No clue but he wasn't there long so I'm sure it was something like "he wasn't breaking any laws." "but he had a gun! Arrest him!"
my gun was strapped on my daypack pointing up unloaded with the bolt removed. I couldn't have been more legal if I tried.

PatriotnMore
04-06-2010, 6:42 PM
Yes, in fact the last Elk/Deer hunting in CO. was a little freaky, we are high up in National Forest, hiked in about three miles, found a meadow that looked good, running water, plant to eat, area to bed down, and approaches visible for bedding Elk and Deer to see danger, we were in positions around covering different approaches.

Soon here comes two gals walking down the trail talking, in shorts, and tennis shoes and chatting it up, we didn't want to freak them out so we stayed hidden, but after they walked on bye, we were a little surprised to see that right in the middle of Elk/Deer season. We left for less traveled trails and areas.

180ls1
04-06-2010, 7:42 PM
Yes, in fact the last Elk/Deer hunting in CO. was a little freaky, we are high up in National Forest, hiked in about three miles, found a meadow that looked good, running water, plant to eat, area to bed down, and approaches visible for bedding Elk and Deer to see danger, we were in positions around covering different approaches.

Soon here comes two gals walking down the trail talking, in shorts, and tennis shoes and chatting it up, we didn't want to freak them out so we stayed hidden, but after they walked on bye, we were a little surprised to see that right in the middle of Elk/Deer season. We left for less traveled trails and areas.

sounds like your "hidden" mountain pasture was not quite as remote as you thought, i have had a similar thing happen also. It kinda sucked.

spectr17
04-06-2010, 7:51 PM
I don't freak them out, they freak themselves out. Some are curious and a few are anti hunters who try to intimidate us hunters. If you're harassed or have an anti interrupt your hunt you can perform a citizen's arrest on them and detain them for the sheriff. You can't get too physical in trying to detain them (brandishing) just get their license plate or take their picture and hand it to the cops. Usually once you advise them they are breaking the law by harassing you and will arrest them they back off.

D Day Dog
04-06-2010, 7:57 PM
Luckily for me, I live and hunt in Alaska and most of the people you come across in the woods are other hunters. That being said, I have run into some bunnie huggers once or twice who went on their way but made A LOT of noise - likely on purpose. Just show muzzle control and courtesy. Ask THEM where they are going and tell them you'll make sure to avoid that area. It helps.

D Day

gdun
04-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Typically I try to stick to the main trails while hiking to my spot so I don't damage the vegitation.

What? i've never had a problem damaging any vegetation. Unless the trail your on takes you near houses and it's unsafe to shoot, then why don't you find a deer trail and follow that to your spot? You are much more likely to see game that way then on a well beaten path, and as a plus, you wont be bothered

Baxter
04-06-2010, 11:10 PM
I have had some hippies come into a rabbit in distress call. The girlfriend tried to keep my attention while the bf flanked me and came out of a bush with fists balled up. Not too smart to try to surprise a guy with a shotgun with a buddy that has a 308. They finally left, hopefully with a better view of hunters.

theseacow
04-06-2010, 11:15 PM
I have had some hippies come into a rabbit in distress call. The girlfriend tried to keep my attention while the bf flanked me and came out of a bush with fists balled up. Not too smart to try to surprise a guy with a shotgun with a buddy that has a 308. They finally left, hopefully with a better view of hunters.

they tried to flank you? who did they think you were? story please...

wjc
04-06-2010, 11:35 PM
YEah. In upstate NY I once had some hippy-trust-fund kids start yelling when they saw I had a rifle. They were trying to "scare the deer away." They ended up tasting pretty good.

Honest to God, the first thing I though of when I read this is whether PCH would
have made jerky out of them. Darn you Big Jake!

Baxter
04-06-2010, 11:43 PM
The guy came around my left side throught the bushes while the gf tries to keep me in a conversation, or really yelling at me and and asking me what I was doing. I guess they thought I was killing someone or raping someone because of the caller. Dumb bf almost got himself shot.

tpuig
04-07-2010, 1:04 AM
They're kind of greasy...

echo1
04-07-2010, 7:51 AM
Not while hunting, but I sometimes open carry while backpacking or day hiking, and have encountered a few gun atheists on trail. Usually it's some snide or ignorant comment. If ther're civil we may have a brief exchange of views, if not I don't let them bait me and keep on my merry way. I ate a bunch of hippies in the '60s.

beauregard
04-07-2010, 7:52 AM
They're kind of greasy...

It was the dread locks that bothered me the most.

But in all seriousness, I was a ways from my stand, and just seeing other people in this particular patch of woods was enough to tell me that there weren't going to be any smart bucks milling around looking for a rut.

I just smiled when they started yelling and reminded them that we take sustenance from the earth.

tpuig
04-07-2010, 8:39 AM
Ask them if they've seen Deliverance...

Not while hunting, but I sometimes open carry while backpacking or day hiking, and have encountered a few gun atheists on trail. Usually it's some snide or ignorant comment. If ther're civil we may have a brief exchange of views, if not I don't let them bait me and keep on my merry way. I ate a bunch of hippies in the '60s.

dirtgimp
04-07-2010, 9:31 AM
one time we were hunting up on the ranch callin dogs came accross

some . . . . . . . . well lets just say some enviro peta lovin people.

they came runnin to the call lookin for a hurt animal and found some pissed

off hunters. you know it was funny how well thet knew the property owner

and had his permmission tobe there when ever they wanted.

however when he was standing rite in front of them they didn't even know it.

goodthing we were hunting with an off duty LEO . . . . detained them until

the sheriff arrived . . . . . .

bpenn
08-26-2010, 9:38 PM
I love this thread. My first successful deer hunt two years ago (I know, late to see the light) I was packing out a quartered deer wrapped in cheese cloth. I saw this hiker with walking poles and the whole deal coming up the trail. I was sweating bullets and dying under the load, but I could tell all the blood soaked cloth and everything spooked him cause his eyes were big as plates. He just asked, "You're hunting!??!?" haha, classic. Funny thing though, he turned around sometime after me and met up with me down at the trail head asking all sorts of questions. I wasnt sure at first what he was up to, but turns out he was a visiting doctor from Japan and was just super curious. I was happy to put a friendly face to the term "hunter" for this guy since he wasn't being a jack wad.

Buying shotshells from the local LA Big 5 is another experience though....

leoffensive
08-26-2010, 9:58 PM
wow these are some cool stories guys haha

im curious on this whole detaining people for the sheriff who harass you while you hunt deal.

this sounds like information i need to learn. can anyone tell me the basics and/or send me a link to page addressing this issue??

Tanner68
08-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Whether I am OCing or hunting, I always try to be a good ambassador whenever I come across people in the field, and try to have a friendly conversation. I have met a lot of non-hunters who are really curious, and ask a lot of questions. Look at it as an opportunity.

NorCalRifleman
08-26-2010, 10:09 PM
I MAAAY know of someone who was hunting on his lunch break in his Air Force uniform near the base. He is backed up to a dead tree and hears voices coming from behind him, a couple hikers following the game trail he's hunting. Mind you, he's in uniform carrying an AR15. Hikers spot him and he smells bunny hugger right away.

Hiker: "What are you doing here?"

Airman: "Field ops, how did you get one base?"

Hiker: "On base? This is public land."

Airman: "If it were public land, why would I be patrolling it with my rifle?"

Hiker: "Are we in trouble?"

Airman: "Well, you don't LOOK like Al Qaeda, but I wouldn't go telling your friends that you were trespassing on US Air Force property."

The hiker mumbled something and beat feet the way he'd come. The Airman got some much needed "mentoring" when he recounted the tale to his flight chief.

foomxyooj
08-27-2010, 12:12 AM
deleted

professionalcoyotehunter
08-27-2010, 8:42 AM
Honest to God, the first thing I though of when I read this is whether PCH would
have made jerky out of them. Darn you Big Jake!

Hmmmm hippie jerky you say.:D

spectr17
08-27-2010, 10:44 AM
One time I was turkey hunting up near Lake Arrowhead and this lady pulled up with a Cherokee full of kids and asked what I was hunting. When I told here turkeys she went off on me, screaming she was going to call the sheriff and the warden. The warden back then Dick Phillips had just checked me so I told her to head on down the road and talk to him, I was just trying to get her goofy azz gone so I could hike in peace. She kept on so I leaned into the back window and said I was also hunting mountain lions with big huge teeth and growled right in one little kids face. The kids freaked and they all started whining to mom they didn't want to go hiking anymore LOL. As I walked away mom was still yelling at me but now it was for ruining her trip as them kids were about to revolt. She probably had to drag each one out of the car when they got to their spot. :D

professionalcoyotehunter
08-27-2010, 11:13 AM
What were her grounds to be so mad that you were hunting turkeys?

Wideflange
08-27-2010, 11:18 AM
I MAAAY know of someone who was hunting on his lunch break in his Air Force uniform near the base. He is backed up to a dead tree and hears voices coming from behind him, a couple hikers following the game trail he's hunting. Mind you, he's in uniform carrying an AR15. Hikers spot him and he smells bunny hugger right away.

Hiker: "What are you doing here?"

Airman: "Field ops, how did you get one base?"

Hiker: "On base? This is public land."

Airman: "If it were public land, why would I be patrolling it with my rifle?"

Hiker: "Are we in trouble?"

Airman: "Well, you don't LOOK like Al Qaeda, but I wouldn't go telling your friends that you were trespassing on US Air Force property."

The hiker mumbled something and beat feet the way he'd come. The Airman got some much needed "mentoring" when he recounted the tale to his flight chief.

Awesome....friggin awesome. Spence I bet..

spectr17
08-27-2010, 11:33 AM
What were her grounds to be so mad that you were hunting turkeys?

She claimed I was illegally hunting in the area. It was NF LOL. After I told her that she didn't care, she was still going to REPORT ME. :43: She was an obvious anti. We had several clashes with this woman and her friends over the bears we killed up there. They used to bang pots and pans to disrupt our hunts and hold protests on the bear opener there. This was before the hunter harassment laws were in place or we'd have had them arrested. One deer season opener they had a gauntlet/roadblock set up on Hook Creek Rd. We snuck a 460 lb bear right by them and they never saw it. Most of us had pistols handy in case they got stupid and attacked anyone in our caravan. It got crazy up there for a couple years but I haven't seen them kooks in awhile. Not sure what happened to em.

NorCalRifleman
08-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Awesome....friggin awesome. Spence I bet..

I can neither confirm nor deny. :D

professionalcoyotehunter
08-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Antis are so dumb. I recall as a kid while camping in Cienaga near Castaic that someone poisoned our dog since she was a bird hunting dog. They really make no sense to me. That they would harm an animal simply because that is what she was bred to do. She did survive the incident. I have seen them out with pots and pans while I am out hunting.

jptsr1
08-27-2010, 1:35 PM
ran into a lady jogging while i was securing a buck to the hood of a friends truck. she stopped running and walked towards me like she was looking at a ghost or something. i actually got uncomfortable and started hurrying as she got closer. i figured i could at least avoid part of her speech about how barbaric hunting was if i just finished what i was doing and got the hell out of there. when she was right up on me my buddy says something like "look lady, this is my grandfathers land, you are trespassing, we have tags and licences so spare us the speech". it was like she didn't even hear my buddy. after what seemed like a full minute of staring at me she says "black people hunt?". i laughed so hard i almost threw up.

mecam
08-27-2010, 2:41 PM
ran into a lady jogging while i was securing a buck to the hood of a friends truck. she stopped running and walked towards me like she was looking at a ghost or something. i actually got uncomfortable and started hurrying as she got closer. i figured i could at least avoid part of her speech about how barbaric hunting was if i just finished what i was doing and got the hell out of there. when she was right up on me my buddy says something like "look lady, this is my grandfathers land, you are trespassing, we have tags and licences so spare us the speech". it was like she didn't even hear my buddy. after what seemed like a full minute of staring at me she says "black people hunt?". i laughed so hard i almost threw up.

Many people still believe that hunting is for Rednecks only. When they see a minority (asians, hispanics, blacks) hunting, they think they are hunting a rival gangster or something. :rolleyes: Try hunting with your pants sagging and your hat tilted to the side and see how fast the LE arrives. :D

-

xrMike
08-27-2010, 2:50 PM
ran into a lady jogging while i was securing a buck to the hood of a friends truck. she stopped running and walked towards me like she was looking at a ghost or something. i actually got uncomfortable and started hurrying as she got closer. i figured i could at least avoid part of her speech about how barbaric hunting was if i just finished what i was doing and got the hell out of there. when she was right up on me my buddy says something like "look lady, this is my grandfathers land, you are trespassing, we have tags and licences so spare us the speech". it was like she didn't even hear my buddy. after what seemed like a full minute of staring at me she says "black people hunt?". i laughed so hard i almost threw up.:D, good story.

daveinwoodland
08-27-2010, 2:56 PM

You have to marinate at least for two days otherwise they'll taste like hemp.

leoffensive
08-27-2010, 5:44 PM

haha i would have shot back with "women speak when not spoken to?" haha jk

Hrod8715
08-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Let's protest that hippies stop begging for change and that they shower at least once a week.

Abesnake
08-28-2010, 10:42 AM

I would have told her that besides Black people hunting...actually woman hunt too! What a concept! :D

elevated
08-28-2010, 2:39 PM
wow this thread is kinda scarring me from heading out with my rifle. Anyway I don't have a story to share because I'm a newb hunter, I did OC for the first time this week up in the sierras and def got a few looks and one guy acting weird.

jawbreaker
08-28-2010, 4:32 PM
On the hood of the truck? REALLY!!!

toby
08-28-2010, 4:37 PM
For me I don't hunt where people roam, what's the use if they are there the game is usually gone?...and I don't have to confront them and explain anything..:)

HAVOC5150
08-28-2010, 4:49 PM
Lol, on Sunday the 15 of August my buddy got a buck down. It's about 0800 hrs and we have it in the garage hanging and we are skinning it. We cut the lower portion of the leg off and give it to the dogs. My buddy's Beagle is standing in the front yard with a deer leg in its out and this older lady (60's ish) is walking her little lap dog around the block and Roger the beagle drops the deer leg right in the middle of the side walk. She looks in the garage and see's this half skinned buck hanging, she gets this disgusted look on her face and has to step over the leg on the side walk.

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/5108/downsized0815000838.jpg

BillCA
08-28-2010, 6:21 PM
We had a 4-day hunt planned in the Sierras many years ago. A good deer spot we were told.
"Never seen another hunter there." Mike said. And plenty of deer. Hookay, we go.

The four of us dressed in ghillie suits and took positions in a meadow that was about a 2 football fields in size. Beautiful spot. Good sunlight, just a couple of trees inside the meadow for shade, a nice 53 degrees, no snow on the ground. When we took our positions we could spot each other by looking hard. We had a sort of curved line in the field, no crossfire. All of us were about 30 yards from each other in shade.

No more than 30 minutes later come these three hippies. Two guys and some spacy girl. They come over the rise behind us, walk within about 10 yards of me and stop. It's a pretty meadow, I grant you, but...

"Go away." I said in a deep voice, just loud enough for them to hear.
They jumped. "Who said that?"
"I did."
"Who are you? Where are you?"
Time for some fun. "I'm the tree. Go away."
"Why?"
"They're coming. Go away."
"Who's coming?" (frantic heads-on-swivels)
"The deer. I'm hungry. Now go away."
"You eat deer?" :eek:
(Note, at this point, I can visibly see Mike's concealed form, 30 yards away, heaving in silent laughter. Ron later said he had tears running down his face from holding it back.)
"Go away. They're almost here."
"We want to watch!"
"No." I was running out of ideas.
"What if we stay anyway?"
"We will consume you."
"Huh? Who's we?"
Mike pulled it together and said, "Bolrich, make them leave. I am hungry too." It sounded like it came from the pine tree he was near.
All three screamed and ran right past us over the rise and kept going.

We gave up the hunt for the day. Our sides hurt too much. We'd just start laughing and couldn't stop. :D

foomxyooj
08-28-2010, 9:18 PM
^ lol

teeteemongo
08-28-2010, 11:14 PM
lol at the above too. Itll be my first time looking for deer in los padres before the end of the season and this topic has made me curious too.

VegasND
08-29-2010, 8:43 AM
Not a hunting story but it demonstrates peoples' cluelessness regarding firearms.

A few friends and I went to shoot outside Wickenberg, AZ; we were shooting up a dry wash with tall rock walls on both wides and a bend about 300 yards upstream providing a solid backstop.

A small van parked off the road behind us and a 'family' (woman, man, 3 kids, dog) got out and watched. When we took a break they informed us they were going to hike up the wash and to please not shoot at them. Off they went right past our targets, completely oblivious.

Big Jake
08-29-2010, 11:07 AM
Antis are so dumb. I recall as a kid while camping in Cienaga near Castaic that someone poisoned our dog since she was a bird hunting dog. They really make no sense to me. That they would harm an animal simply because that is what she was bred to do. She did survive the incident. I have seen them out with pots and pans while I am out hunting.

They need to be careful around us PCH. My eyes are starting to weaken in my old age :eek: and I might mistake an anti for a yote LOL! :D

Sionadi
08-29-2010, 1:36 PM
I hunt mostly on my property so if i run across someone they are in deep trouble.

However a bunch of my friends and I went hunting with horses and mules in the Cache Creek area for 2 weeks. Going in was no problem, we had a bunch of people with their kids watch us pack up the mules and horses in the parking lot. But once we started to strap on our revolvers and put rifles in our scabbards most of them started to walk away and leave.

On the way in we caught alot of looks but no one really said anything, any discussion was friendly and they were just asking questions. Well, 2 weeks later we come out with 12 deer and 4 hogs strapped onto the mules. Now we got ALOT of looks, all of us were absolutely filthy. I was leading the line of mules and was behind all the other guys when we passed some guy with greasy dreadlocks. He stepped to the side of the trail and let us pass and by the time I got by him his jaw was dropped with disbelief, and when he saw what was on the mules he jumped in front of me and tried to spit at me.

Well, i was plumb tired and just glared at this guy and said "sir, im very tired and not in a good mood, now WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOUR DOING??" He looked at me and said "Im enjoying what mother nature gave us, not destroying it" I just rolled my eyes and pushed my horse forward and hit the hippie because he didn't get out of the way. When we got out to the parking lot we started packing all our stuff back into the truck. When we got the packs off the animals we tied them to the trailers and brushed them down. We were busy packing everything and out of nowhere i hear a smack then a thud and then a scream. I turn around to see my horse untied with the hippie laying on the ground holding his gut, I ran over there and snatched the hippie up by the collar and drug him over to the trailer and smashed him into it and sat him down. He admitted he untied my horse and slapped it, trying to get it to run off. Instead he got a kick to the gut. I called the sheriff and left him locked in the horse trailer until they arrived.

Tom Slick
08-29-2010, 2:12 PM
I've never come across non-hunters in my limited hunting experience but I've come across hunters while dirt biking. No confrontations but I almost feel bad when I come upon them while riding on marked dirt bike trails on NF land.

mschliebs
08-29-2010, 2:44 PM
Bingo !!! Now you know why I just joined Wilderness Unlimited. That's also why I have hunted turkeys on the North slope of the San Bernardino mtns instead of the easy-to-get-shot-at places in San Diego county. The turkey's that go where I go have feathers. I would honestly have to classify anyone who hunts where day hikers go as a road hunter.

But, since you live in neighboring Fontana, I'll give you a good deer tip. Start at Lone Pine Canyon and begin scouting West / South West. More deer die of starvation in that range than are shot each year. This is because of the deep snows that pile up in most winters and trap them in the chapparal, limiting there ability to forage. Believe it or not, Wrightwood, CA has an average snow fall of about 17 feet. Kratka Ridge registers the deepest snows in SoCal and, that's in the neighbor hood that PCH mentioned earlier.

Fortunately, the fires over the past several years have opened up the terrain and have generated a lot more feed for the herd as well. In the past year caltans has posted "Deer Crossing" signs in Lone Pine Canyon. I can't recall seeing those signs there in decades.

The biggest obstacle with hunting these areas though, is that you gotta work a little bit. Your not gonna get very far sitting on the fender of your truck.

PatriotnMore
08-29-2010, 4:30 PM
I hunt mostly on my property so if i run across someone they are in deep trouble.

However a bunch of my friends and I went hunting with horses and mules in the Cache Creek area for 2 weeks. Going in was no problem, we had a bunch of people with their kids watch us pack up the mules and horses in the parking lot. But once we started to strap on our revolvers and put rifles in our scabbards most of them started to walk away and leave.

On the way in we caught alot of looks but no one really said anything, any discussion was friendly and they were just asking questions. Well, 2 weeks later we come out with 12 deer and 4 hogs strapped onto the mules. Now we got ALOT of looks, all of us were absolutely filthy. I was leading the line of mules and was behind all the other guys when we passed some guy with greasy dreadlocks. He stepped to the side of the trail and let us pass and by the time I got by him his jaw was dropped with disbelief, and when he saw what was on the mules he jumped in front of me and tried to spit at me.

Well, i was plumb tired and just glared at this guy and said "sir, im very tired and not in a good mood, now WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOUR DOING??" He looked at me and said "Im enjoying what mother nature gave us, not destroying it" I just rolled my eyes and pushed my horse forward and hit the hippie because he didn't get out of the way. When we got out to the parking lot we started packing all our stuff back into the truck. When we got the packs off the animals we tied them to the trailers and brushed them down. We were busy packing everything and out of nowhere i hear a smack then a thud and then a scream. I turn around to see my horse untied with the hippie laying on the ground holding his gut, I ran over there and snatched the hippie up by the collar and drug him over to the trailer and smashed him into it and sat him down. He admitted he untied my horse and slapped it, trying to get it to run off. Instead he got a kick to the gut. I called the sheriff and left him locked in the horse trailer until they arrived.

:rofl: Wish I could have been there. That makes for good conversation round the fire at night.