PDA

View Full Version : AK FFL in the bay area?

blkA4alb
02-16-2006, 2:55 PM
hey everyone, first post here but i am proud to say i now own 5 ar lower recievers, still have to wait to pick them up though. im interested in the AK lower recievers, do you guys know of an ffl with aon hour or two of the bay area that would do the transfer? also whats the highest quality AK there is? if thats possible?:p

shopkeep
02-16-2006, 3:31 PM
So far only one person on Calguns.net has successfully built up a California Legal off-list AK. The AKs recievers out there right now are medium quality at best and with the recent ATF ban on imported barrels, they're getting more costly and harder to build all the time.

That's not to say there aren't FFLs out there willing to transfer it... it's just saying unlike ARs there's just not a wide selection, good availability, or high quality.

If you're looking for more "unusual" items you can get a .308 AR-10 or carbon fiber AR lowers... when I had 5 aluminum ones like you do that's what I started doing heheh...

grammaton76
02-16-2006, 3:38 PM
So far only one person on Calguns.net has successfully built up a California Legal off-list AK. The AKs recievers out there right now are medium quality at best and with the recent ATF ban on imported barrels, they're getting more costly and harder to build all the time.

I don't know about the other guys, but I'd love to get some more AK's to keep my Ewbanks company when I get around to building it. The real reason that we don't have a lot more calguns AK's yet, is because the AK's take more time and tools to build than AR's. If they were as quick and easy to crank out as AR's, we'd have a ridiculous number of fully built AK's around here.

I intend to wait on my AK builds until such time as my wallet's recovered from the receiver purchases. At which point, I'm buying the best tools I can, and proceeding forward. AR's really don't need tools, unless you count the optional armorer's wrench and punch sets. I didn't have either of those when I assembled my first one.

blkA4alb
02-16-2006, 4:33 PM
what kind of special tools would i need to build the AK? and also how much do you think the final cost would be to complete one?:confused:

xenophobe
02-16-2006, 5:59 PM
www.gunexchange.com

We're taking preorders on a shipment of 48 that have already shipped. We'll be receiving them shortly, but a good portion of them are already sold.

Lon Moer
02-16-2006, 8:47 PM
www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=27660

BigMac
02-17-2006, 5:08 AM
I am so glad you pasted that.... sending you business ;)

blkA4alb
02-17-2006, 4:39 PM
i actually bought my 4 of my lower recievers from the san jose gun exchange, got quite a business goin on there. went down again today and picked me up an AK lower, thanks a lot guys. now i need to learn how to build the damn thing