PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to homemade a gun in CA?

Aming
02-16-2006, 1:51 PM
Somebody told me that I had to apply a permit to build a gun in CA. Is it correct?

blacklisted
02-16-2006, 1:54 PM
It depends.

If you are building a rifle for your own personal use, you do not need a permit.

ohsmily
02-16-2006, 1:59 PM
Somebody told me that I had to apply a permit to build a gun in CA. Is it correct?

Hi new guy...welcome...

use the SEARCH function...this topic has been covered many times.

Aming
02-16-2006, 5:58 PM
The person who talked me is a Special Agent at DOJ. He said that I must get a permit to build a long gun for my own personal use. Why?

ohsmily
02-16-2006, 7:17 PM
The person who talked me is a Special Agent at DOJ. He said that I must get a permit to build a long gun for my own personal use. Why?

Wrong...you were probably talking to a low-level clerk or the "agent" was lying to you. The only valid information you will get from them is if it is in writing.

You can build your own long gun without a permit (as long as it isn't an assault weapon).

Talkin2u2
02-24-2006, 10:13 AM

Someone I know, built a rifle and consulted Randy Rossi (not a friend of people that own guns), Director of the Firearms Division at CAL-Dept. of Justice, and was told (correctly) he didn't need any permit. But he did have to show the ATF their own rules and regulations regarding the manufacture of a rifle for private use.

Go figure. :confused:

Builder
02-24-2006, 2:31 PM
Another aspect that should be pointed out is that this is for personal use only. It can never be sold. If it is sold, then it has been manufactured for sale; manufactured illegally as the person isn't licensed to manufacture guns. I don't know if willing it to a person is legal. Anyone?
Builder