PDA

View Full Version : Received My CMP .30-06 Ammo

powaybob
04-06-2010, 7:42 AM
I received my CMP Greek Surplus ammo yesterday. I had to pick it up at the Fed Ex office because it requires an adult signature and I was not home when they tried to deliver it. It is Greek and comes in a "spam" can with a key that tears a metal band off around the can to free the top. I opened the two cans of boxed rounds that I received and they are lots from 1968 and 1970. There was no corrosion visible and the boxes containing 20 rounds were in new condition. The cases are brass and the projectile is copper over steel. I tested it with a magnet and it is definitely steel.

It took about two months to get the ammunition from the time I ordered. I ordered two cans of 240 rounds at $120 per can and two cans of 192 rounds in bandoleers and clips at $96 each. Shipping was just under $50.

Now I have to find a place to shoot my new Garand and ammo!

mls343
04-06-2010, 8:12 AM
I received my 3 spam can yesterday as well. Mine was born on 72 and 73. I opened one of the cans and everything looks perfect.

I can still get 7 more cans, so I'm going to split it up between the 192 cans and the 240.

For me, I orderred on 3/4/10 and received yesterday. Not too bad.

Ross
04-06-2010, 3:50 PM
Head out to South Bay Rod & Gun in Delzura.

postal16
04-06-2010, 5:48 PM
actually they are not over steel...there is ferrous metals mixed in with the copper as a way to save money, and unfortunately they attract a magnet, and there the USFS won't differentiate between steel core and military surplus such as the HXP...kinda like the "no tolerance" policies our government loves so much LOL

run8
04-06-2010, 8:16 PM
Mine will be here on Friday, the first three, then three more to follow, the orders were just a few days apart when I put them in.

mls343
04-07-2010, 4:42 AM
I'll be putting in the order for my remaining 7 cans after I get through doing taxes... Yikes!

Mssr. Eleganté
04-07-2010, 10:36 AM
actually they are not over steel...there is ferrous metals mixed in with the copper as a way to save money, and unfortunately they attract a magnet, and there the USFS won't differentiate between steel core and military surplus such as the HXP...kinda like the "no tolerance" policies our government loves so much LOL

Actually, it really is steel. HXP has a lead core, steel jacket, with a thin copper plating over the steel.

postal16
04-07-2010, 12:48 PM
my bad...I went through my old emails and my explanation from Orest was regarding the LC bullets.

See this link for interesting pics:

http://www.thecmp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12834