PDA

View Full Version : What Is This Type 99 Arisaka Worth?

oaklander
04-05-2010, 9:56 PM
Let me start by saying that I know nothing about Japanese rifles! That being said, someone I know has an Arisaka that I am interested in. He is an elderly man, and told me that he has had the rifle for about 50 years, and that it was given to him by a WWII vet who brought it back after the war.

As you can see, the mum is intact. The serial number is 907XX. The series number appears to be "4." The type appears to be "99." And the arsenal appears to be Nagoya. It is missing the sight leaf thing that you use when you flip up the rear sight. It's also missing the screw that goes on the bottom of the rifle right in front of the magazine, the cleaning rod, and one of the 4 screws that holds the bayo lug/cap to the front of the fore end.

I haven't checked the bore yet, but the wood and metal look pretty good. . .

Any thoughts on a fair price?

ETA: just found sight leaf for "anti-aircraft" applications - not cheap!!!

Also found ammo - almost $2 per round!!!

Series Type 4:

http://i44.tinypic.com/mcssx4.jpg

Nagoya mark:

http://i41.tinypic.com/xm5o3d.jpg

Type 99:

http://i40.tinypic.com/ngcbog.jpg

Rifle (rest of bathroom edited out): :o

http://i43.tinypic.com/6gj4ld.jpg

iareConfusE
04-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Wow that is the best conditioned Arisaka I have ever seen...

No idea what it's worth but good god that's gorgeous.

Zomgie
04-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Cool! I do know (from some Googling) that the rifle is dated 1939-1945. The flower stamp along with the date means it was manufactured for Emperor Hirohito's Imperial Army. Also, since it still has the chrysanthemum emblem, it was captured in the field as the rifles surrendered had it filed off first. Since you probably knew that (since you figured out the type and arsenal...) these seem to be going on Gunbroker for between $250-$600

cmaher55
04-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Looks pretty good, what does the end of the bolt handle look like...? I am guessing $350 to $400. I have one just like it.... Regards

Musashi
04-05-2010, 10:11 PM
thats a clean looking rifle.. based off gunbroker looks like they range from 250-800 bucks

Musashi
04-05-2010, 10:16 PM
ehh looks like i took too much time checking out these rifles on gunbroker lol this one looks alot cleaner than the cheaper ones on gb though

mievil
04-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Looks like the stock has been refinished. Matching numbers?

oaklander
04-05-2010, 10:28 PM
All numbers that I have found so far match (bolt, bayo lug, receiver).

I'm finding the rear sights online for fairly cheap - was also able to find the trigger guard screws.

I think I will now clean out the bore to see what it looks like!!!

Noonanda
04-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Stock refinished/stained will decrease value. Missing small parts is not neccesarily a big deal as long as they are not parts made of unobtanium. I just had to buy a Complete type 99 bolt because I could not find a firing pin or safety for a price combined that was less than the complete bolt I purchased. Which means I now have a bolt that I will be selling soon on ebay

oaklander
04-05-2010, 11:09 PM
End of bolt handle looks good - almost new!

ETA: bore not so good - substantial pitting and copper fouling, even after cleaning. But grooves and lands are at least still visible.

Looks pretty good, what does the end of the bolt handle look like...? I am guessing $350 to $400. I have one just like it.... Regards

Noonanda
04-05-2010, 11:12 PM
the type 99 has a crome lined bore so it may clean up, keep at it

Spiggy
04-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Right now? about 200-240 tops

complete, probably $350 or so

450 with bayonet

More with original leatherware and cap

oaklander
04-05-2010, 11:26 PM
OK - I'll probably offer him $200. He has absolutely no idea what it is worth - but I want to deal fairly with him.

More details: the parts that were originally blued are almost 100 percent. The parts that were "in the white" have a nice brown patina. Stock has very few dings, one small crack, but *may* have been refinished - although I can't tell, since I don't know what they looked like to start with.

Right now? about 200-240 tops

complete, probably $350 or so

450 with bayonet

More with original leatherware and cap

Spiggy
04-05-2010, 11:35 PM
that refinished part is extremely important. The original wood finish on the Arisaka is extremely unique solely to Japanese-made firearms, and can not be replicated in any commercial way shape or form.

Do you have pictures of the rear sight? I'm curious what's missing

oaklander
04-05-2010, 11:37 PM
I just put the camera away - the part that is missing is the thing that slides up and down when the sight is "up" for long distance shooting. The little "peep" is still there, since it's part of the ladder itself.

ETA: the finish is very shiny, and appears to be golden in color.

that refinished part is extremely important. The original wood finish on the Arisaka is extremely unique solely to Japanese-made firearms, and can not be replicated in any commercial way shape or form.

Do you have pictures of the rear sight? I'm curious what's missing

Sampachi
04-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Nice looking 4th Series T99! The 4th series (the Katakana '=' in the circle) is interesting because it is one of the few groups of 100,000 that had production split between two arsenals (in this case Izawa Jyuko and Nagoya).

Stock looks good to me.

You can get cheaper ammo from Mr. Nambu (search with Google) or wait till the next Vallejo show.

oaklander
04-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Cool!!!

I just googled the finish they used - that stuff is intense!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicodendron_vernicifluum

Nice looking 4th Series T99! The 4th series (the Katakana '=' in the circle) is interesting because it is one of the few groups of 100,000 that had production split between two arsenals (in this case Izawa Jyuko and Nagoya).

Stock looks good to me.

You can get cheaper ammo from Mr. Nambu (search with Google) or wait till the next Vallejo show.

Spiggy
04-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Dunno what to say, all my T99's are fairly orange or dark red-brown.

My T38s on the other hand are really-really brown

Arisaka finish is made from a black lacquer derived from the Urushi plant. It's basic compound is the same as the allergen in Poison Oak(Urushiol). In it's natural liquid state (as well as burnt state) it is extremely toxic to humans. The finish was mixed with iron content to give it the reddish-orange tint. -Just a factoid

Edit! looks like you found Wiki

oaklander
04-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Yes, let me look at it in the sun to see what color it *really* is - can't tell under this darn artificial light.

I know it's much darker than my hardwood floor (which is honey colored). . .

:)

Dunno what to say, all my T99's are fairly orange or dark red-brown.

My T38s on the other hand are really-really brown

Arisaka finish is made from a black lacquer derived from the Urushi plant. It's basic compound is the same as the allergen in Poison Oak(Urushiol). In it's natural liquid state (as well as burnt state) it is extremely toxic to humans. The finish was mixed with iron content to give it the reddish-orange tint. -Just a factoid

Edit! looks like you found Wiki

campperrykid
04-06-2010, 3:07 AM
Some things are hard to tell from the pic's but...
The wood might ( maybe) have been sanded & refinished.
Beat-up or missing screws are not uncommon on WW2 Japanese rifles: The screws are sometimes rust frozen and can be a serious PITA to remove , even for experienced people.
I would take a very hard look at both the wood & metal for signs of refinishing. Some folks are smart enough to avoid trying to make an old rifle look new when they refinish it..

One clarification on the Urushi finish that's usually found on original T99's. Estimates vary , but around 10 % of the population are very vunerable to Urishi poisoning. Most people will show no ill effects ---which means that what does nothing to Bob has the potential to damn near kill Bill. Or at least make Bill wish he was dead.
There are a couple of original T99's in my locker . I put a little pure oil tung over the Urishi as a safety percaution. Beat me , whip me , call me a depraved defiler of original ( one is near mint , but s/m ) historical artifacts : Safety matters more than resale value.

timbo
04-06-2010, 6:12 AM
the type 99 has a crome lined bore so it may clean up, keep at it

I agree those chrome lined barrels are tough. If one's pitted, it's been abused in a bad way. It may just need a super cleaning.

I also agree with the other about the stock refinish killing the value. I'd say $200.00 would be a top price.

Sampachi
04-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Ya, don't mess with the stock finish. If the screws are still staked, leave them be. There are many types of Urushii and none of the commercially available types match the wartime finish.

Spiggy
04-06-2010, 10:46 PM
^ Man, I feel like we're long time friends or something. What am I thinking about? :D

campperrykid
04-07-2010, 11:13 AM
When you encounter rust locked Arisaka screws , you will know it.

mosinnagantm9130
04-07-2010, 3:42 PM
In it's current state, it's worth about $200. Once completed I'd put it at $250-300 as long as the wood has not been messed with.

The metal looks good, it does not look reblued. Plus it has an intact crysanthemum.:D

As others have said, type 99's have chrome lined bores. It would have to have been seriously abused to have major pitting. It should clean up well.

oaklander
04-08-2010, 12:09 AM
Thanks guys for all the advice - I went ahead and got it for $200. I'll post pics once I get it cleaned up and get the parts I need. Pretty sure the wood's original, so NO sanding!!!

:)