PDA

View Full Version : Iphone

Rob454
04-05-2010, 9:51 PM
hey guys
if I get my Iphone jailbroken can I download apps without needing to sign up at the apple store or is it not a good idea. I want a few games cause sometimes i sit in front of panels checking functions and its a tedious 5 minutes between functions sometimes

bigmike82
04-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Jail breaking an iPhone is absolutely great idea.

Only thing is...you really need to read up on it some more, besides just asking questions. Make sure you understand, at least somewhat, the process, what it does, the benefits, and more importantly, the risks.

If I had an iPhone, it'd be jailbroken ten minutes after I got home.

thefifthspeed
04-06-2010, 3:48 AM
It's been a while since I've looked at my setting but I don't use my credit card to buy apps. I load up my iphone with itunes cards which is the same as cash and I don't have to offer up a CC. To top it off I bought some itunes cards from Costco around Xmas time when they ran a deal for $60 in itunes cards for $30 so I am basically having my money go twice as far in the app store.

Jail-breaking the phone won't change whether you need to submit CC info or not. If you had to submit that info before the JB you would have to submit it after. Now where the jail-breaking changes things is you have access to 3rd party apps that don't cost money. Some are good and some suck but they are free. I still prefer the app store over JB app stores like cydia. People who jail break also download "cracked apps" which is basically stealing and I won't go into that.

Depending on which update you have on your phone you will need to check to see if you can jail break. I know a lot of people have to avoid updates after they have jail broken their phone because it will cause it to not function right or crash.

Honestly jail breaking isn’t that cool. If you are really big into customization then you will like it but aside from that they only things I really like about it are folders and backgrounder (I like to play music and do other stuff).

DiscoBayJoe
04-06-2010, 4:08 AM
run Blackra1n, install ROCK then buy Mywi ($10, you can use PayPal). You've now got a portable hotspot! I've installed about a dozen apps from ROCK, most free (like Backgrounder). Battery Life has gone way down because of all the apps running in the background, but the phone is way more useful now!

Merc1138
04-06-2010, 4:09 AM
I've had an iphone since launch day for the 3g, then upgraded to a 3gs when I could for cheap(sold the used 3g on ebay for more than I paid for the new 3gs, because of the contract of course, but works for me). At no point in time have I ever though "hmm, maybe I should jailbreak this". There are indeed free games in the itunes app store, some of them terrible some of them ok. You can do like others have mentioned and just buy itunes giftcards for yourself if you're paranoid about it.

A couple of my co-workers have jailbroken their iphones, and at least once a week they're trying to show me some new cool app that changes the keypad, or puts a background on the main icon homescreen, apps in the background or whatever. I personally just shrug and go about my business.

Rob454
04-06-2010, 7:58 AM
I just read about jb a iPhone on a site. I just don't like giving a cc if I don't have to sounds like the I tunes gift card is the way to go
I just wanted a few games to pass the time I probably do not use my iPhone to it's full abilities basically check emails from work keep track of the daily work hours timesheet cause it's easier than using a regular notepad
I just thought jailbreaking was a advantage. I don't plan on stealing anything just thought it was a good thing for a iPhone I have a older version I got from a coworker for 100$ cause he got a new one

Corbin Dallas
04-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Rob,

I just wrote a WHOLE big write up and the stupid forum kicked me out and dumped what I wrote.

Here's the short version.

Search google for your particluar version of FW and how to jail break it. I used quickpwn to do my phones but I'm on much older firmware.

1) You should NEVER give CC info to anyone for a jailbreak program. There are free versions everywhere.

2) Is it worth it? Yes!!! There are a ton of apps you cannot get from Apple such as a video recorder for non-3Gs phones, Google Voice app, quickview SMS, MyWi and so much more, most of them FREE.

If you decide to JB and need help, let me know.

This is what my phone looks like now...

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq324/AdamJGreenberg/bc36c9ef.jpg

ang3c0
04-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Definitely worth it - Here's what mine looks like (and yes I know I have a lot of apps that need to be updated...long story).

http://i.imgur.com/6a7i6.jpg

Ricky-Ray
04-06-2010, 1:52 PM
If you have a jail broken iphone there are sites where you can download apps for free

jarhead995
04-06-2010, 2:40 PM
Definitely worth it - Here's what mine looks like (and yes I know I have a lot of apps that need to be updated...long story).

http://i.imgur.com/6a7i6.jpg

android theme?

Juice5610
04-06-2010, 2:43 PM
best part of hacking my iphone is a little app called categories it lets you make folders in your phone so you can put all your games in one folder all your utility apps in another folder ect ect it is awsome and cuts down on the clutter I have like 60 or so apps and only 3 pages :D

ang3c0
04-06-2010, 2:51 PM
android theme?

Yep, the background changes when you swipe to new pages on your home screen - it's pretty cool. It's called Monster Droid - here's a video (not mine)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5X6TxD541g

hikari
04-06-2010, 3:28 PM
Ok,

So i have had the iphone since the original came out and have gotten each one the first week of release.

Iphone is great you can do allot with it.

But here it is Apple release updates periodically and in my option there updates are all warrented and needed. Ie adding new functions/features fixing bugs. there are no crappy updates. they are always working to make it better.

With that being said. Yes i jailbroke my first iphone and hacked it and all that when it used to be hard. But the thing is. It is a game of cat and mouse. You will not want to wait when a update comes up because the updates are so warranted.

Now i can understand if your doing it because you want the iphone on another carrirer.
But if its for free games. Come on there are tons of free ones out there and most apps are 99cents if you can't afford a 99cent game every once and a while dont get the iphone.