PDA

View Full Version : Do you hunt Deer or just tell your wife your going hunting and go drink beer ?

shooter74
04-05-2010, 5:51 PM
I am trying to fill in info on all the deer hunting zones for California. If you hunted in a zone and would like to contribute your vast knowledge, give info on Good places to hunt and what the terrain is like .please use the link

http://youroutdoorlife.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?9-California-Deer-Hunting-zones

Thanks JAy

shooter74
04-05-2010, 6:32 PM
pm answered

Barabas
04-05-2010, 7:03 PM
Given my past experiences with people who "claimed" areas, meth heads and garden growers, I think you'll find people are hesitant to share their favorite places to hunt. It's getting harder and harder to find bucks worth shooting. Now if they'd just open up a solid doe season...

Rob454
04-05-2010, 7:06 PM
Now if they'd just open up a solid doe season...

I would fill out 4-5 tags in a day. but yeah deer spots are closely guarded. I know a few and scouting for another in 3 weeks but I rather not say where they are.
i actually go in the woods for 4-5 days. i asked my wife if she wanted to go to deer camp with us and she laughed at me.

Sionadi
04-05-2010, 7:08 PM
Joys of having private property :D

If your up North try the Mendocino national forest, i hear there's going to be a range war between the pot growers and the hunters this year.

shooter74
04-05-2010, 7:09 PM
Yea I understand , like X5B is a once in a life time hunt zone. ok may be 2 in a life. Just looking for the basic land type and may be a good start.

Thanks Jay

Given my past experiences with people who "claimed" areas, meth heads and garden growers, I think you'll find people are hesitant to share their favorite places to hunt. It's getting harder and harder to find bucks worth shooting. Now if they'd just open up a solid doe season...

Sutcliffe
04-05-2010, 7:20 PM
They just don't want you to actually shoot bambi. The hunting zones are overly complex, open way to early and close way too soon. Most states don't even start their season's until our is all wrapped up. I probably spent ten seasons actually hunting this state. Miserable. Did drink a lot of beer and tell a lot of tales around the campfire though.

JDay
04-05-2010, 7:36 PM
Jimbo: Now boys, boys, ah-I need to get serious for a minute. I want you to understand a few basic rules of hunting, since this is your first time. First, don't ever walk with your gun unless the safety's on. Second, don't shoot anything that looks human, and third, never spill your beer in the bullet chamber.

Stan: Uh, Uncle Jimbo, we don't drink beer.

Jimbo: You what?!?

Ned: Moh Yeah, that's right, I don't think eight year old kids drink beer, mmm.

Kyle: I like chocolate milk.

Jimbo: Well, we'll be doing plenty of drinking on this trip; After all, hunting sober is like … fishing … sober. It sure will be nice to get out of the city for a while, away from civilization.

jaymz
04-05-2010, 7:41 PM
I won't say exactly where I go, but I can tell you that it's a killer to hike there!

Barabas
04-05-2010, 7:45 PM
I see what you're saying. You're in Sutter Creek, right? You should have deer in your backyard!

Find stands of nut trees or where the acorns are falling thickly. Last year was a great year for acorns in my area, but I'm expecting it to be really good in the area I hunt beer this year. I prefer hunting the mixed forests for that reason, it's just what I'm used to. Higher up where the pines dominate, I have a harder time reading the plants. Deer are everywhere in this state. I live in long established suburbia and have had deer on my back porch on Christmas morning.

Yea I understand , like X5B is a once in a life time hunt zone. ok may be 2 in a life. Just looking for the basic land type and may be a good start.

Thanks Jay

shooter74
04-05-2010, 8:53 PM
I have dear , just want people to add content . I don't want any one to give uncle Ned's favorite spot . Just want to make a place for people to get a good idea of what the lay out is. some people don't hunt D5 every year. They need basic info , good place to start.

I see what you're saying. You're in Sutter Creek, right? You should have deer in your backyard!

Find stands of nut trees or where the acorns are falling thickly. Last year was a great year for acorns in my area, but I'm expecting it to be really good in the area I hunt beer this year. I prefer hunting the mixed forests for that reason, it's just what I'm used to. Higher up where the pines dominate, I have a harder time reading the plants. Deer are everywhere in this state. I live in long established suburbia and have had deer on my back porch on Christmas morning.

shooter74
04-08-2010, 12:10 AM
bump

popndrop
04-08-2010, 12:02 PM
my favorite zone is TEXAS

antonio
04-08-2010, 4:04 PM
i know where i will be this year... i have not seen that many deer at my friends ranch ever.. was just up there turkey hunting and my friends dad said he has never seen so many deer since he can remember and the ranch has been in the family before he was born... o yeah thats d zone up past cameron park

CEDaytonaRydr
04-08-2010, 4:21 PM
I go hunting to hunt.

I go fishing to drink beer and hang out with the guys. It's not like I'm not trying to catch anything. I just usually don't.

lewdogg21
04-08-2010, 8:37 PM
i know where i will be this year... i have not seen that many deer at my friends ranch ever.. was just up there turkey hunting and my friends dad said he has never seen so many deer since he can remember and the ranch has been in the family before he was born... o yeah thats d zone up past cameron park

I'll wash your clothes by hand if you can get me on that ranch.

ChrisO
04-09-2010, 11:58 AM
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo267/Chrisotk/download-39.jpg
Same place I hunted last year ;) and the year before that... I don't really share my spots as they are damn hard to find. Get out in the field and do some hard work and you will find your spot. Work hard and dont give up and ya might get one of these
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo267/Chrisotk/download-38.jpg
Didn't have a camera in the field so I had to take a pic when we were back :( .

mif_slim
04-09-2010, 12:05 PM
They just don't want you to actually shoot bambi. The hunting zones are overly complex, open way to early and close way too soon. Most states don't even start their season's until our is all wrapped up. I probably spent ten seasons actually hunting this state. Miserable. Did drink a lot of beer and tell a lot of tales around the campfire though.

THats the best thing about CA. I can hunt here and when Im all done here I can go to other states and hunt their opening days. :D Love it because I do CA, WI, NC in that order every year. lol.

professionalcoyotehunter
04-09-2010, 12:44 PM
What part of NC do you hunt?

echo1
04-10-2010, 10:23 AM
ChrisO, very nice buck. How 'bout a hint. What zone. I'll tell you mine D3,4,5, it's close enough for me to get up into several areas I know well, but with good access to the "secret" places.
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac159/adpax/default/deer0899.jpg

ChrisO
04-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Echo1 how funny My deer was in the same general in fact I would use the same hint to describe it! Also took him with the same model of rifle savage 99 in .243 ;). I was up set I had to take a picture after he was all dressed and gutted but any pic is better than none. The deer was quite a good sized deer... made for a lot of steaks,jerky, and summer sausages oh and the heart and liver was killer we ate that at camp that night.

Hunt
04-10-2010, 3:29 PM
tough to find good spots in SoCa, don't waste your time down here stick w/ NoCa

lewdogg21
04-10-2010, 6:17 PM
I hunt but I don't mind a cocktail but I'm not one of the guys who parties all night long. My take is if I want to do that I can do it at home and have all the comforts of home for the next day hangover.

echo1
04-10-2010, 7:57 PM
Echo1 how funny My deer was in the same general in fact I would use the same hint to describe it! Also took him with the same model of rifle savage 99 in .243 ;). I was up set I had to take a picture after he was all dressed and gutted but any pic is better than none. The deer was quite a good sized deer... made for a lot of steaks,jerky, and summer sausages oh and the heart and liver was killer we ate that at camp that night.

That's cool Chriso, get a hold of Mulder & Scully there must be a flux in the continuim. Got mine on Sunday of opening week end '08 (I too am out of work), couldn't afford to pony up for any hunting in '09. 112-115 yards, standing off hand shot, .308 150gr Powershok, Tasco 2-7X32. My buck was with a big fork, a doe and a yearling. Seen this group on Fridays scout so my huntn' bud and I decided we try and work this bunch. Good luck this year.

ChrisO
04-11-2010, 10:28 AM
My first shot was up close grazed its head (the only shot I had when I realized it was a deer) I almost passed it up because the un typical point on one side (thought it was wood the kind on a tree) haha then my grandpa said (boy that aint no tree) took my shot grazed it's head and pierced it's ear as you can see in the pic. It got up and I thought I lost it then I saw it off in the distance hauling azz through brush as soon as I got a clear shot I dropped it. Hit right behind the shoulder blade. Federal 85 grain vital shock I think is the ammo I used (still have the other 18 rounds in the safe for this year) :) . Already got my spot scouted for this year saw a couple VERY nice bucks. Scope I got on the rifle is a bushinell elite 3200 it's temporary because I had to send the OLD leupold off to be fixed by leupold. Good luck to you as well!

taperxz
04-11-2010, 1:25 PM
tough to find good spots in SoCa, don't waste your time down here stick w/ NoCa

NO stay down there and hunt we don't need you guys up here! I sit on my back porch with a beer in the evening playing county music waiting for MO to walk by. I would like to keep it that way. :yes:

ChrisO
04-11-2010, 2:07 PM
^^^ Agreed stay in socal! haha.