PDA

View Full Version : A couple of C&R license questions

nick
04-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Looks like I'm finally ready to get my 03 FFL. I just ordered the forms from ATF's website. However, I have a couple of questions I couldn't find the answer to:

1. If I get a COE, it exempts me from the 1 handgun in 30 days rule. If I buy a C&R handgun in another state with my C&R FFL, I can then bring it to CA, at which point I'll need to submit the voluntary registration form and $19. The question is whether I can buy and bring more than one C&R handgun at a time that way without having a COE. Everywhere I read it says "handgunS", yet we do have that 1 handgun in 30 days rule.

2. I'm thinking of changing the address on my driver's license to a P.O. box. As I understand, the addresses you need to list on the C&R application are the ones where the guns bought using it would be stored, right? Do I need to include the P.O. box address on the application then? Will there be an issue that the address I list would be different from the one on my driver's license? Can the guns be sent to that P.O. box address? Since I'm hardly ever at home, that's actually safer than UPS/Fedex/USPS people just leaving them by my door, the way they often do ever when an adult's signature is required.

Any info, especially supported by cites, is appreciated.

blackfalcon
04-05-2010, 12:28 PM
You need a COE to go with your C&R license to get around the 1 in 30 day handgun rule. The good thing is that it also goes for modern pistols as well. The COE is an annual renewal but I do like that fact that if I go to a gun show in Calif. I can walk out the show with a C&R pistol or rifle.

The application does have a line that says premises: physical location of business or collection, so I don't think a PO box will work. That would go under the mailing address. Also, a copy of the application has to go to the chief/sheriff of where you live. While they don't do anything but just file it, they may say something if the address is a PO Box, especially if it is one of those Mailboxes etc. type ones.

I have the same problem, where I am not home during the day and having guns shipped and sitting on my front porch all day until I get home. I usually have the guns sit at will call at UPS for me to pick up.

Welcome to the C&R club! Word of advice, get a big safe! You will be filling it fast!!!

Mssr. Eleganté
04-05-2010, 1:14 PM
There is no limit to the number of C&R handguns that you buy at one time while outside of California. The 1 in 30 day limit only applies to purchases from the inventory of California licensed dealers.

A Federal Firearms License has space on it for two address, you premises address and your mailing address. You can use your PO Box for the mailing address and your home for the premises address. That's actually a pretty common thing for FFL's to do. Legally, there is no requirement that firearms be shipped to your premises address. But many sellers are only going to ship to your premises address. Other sellers will ship to your mailing address as well, but not all will.

littlejake
04-05-2010, 1:19 PM
Your C&R license has a premise address which is where shipments must be sent to and you collection must be located. It also has a mailing address which may be a PO Box -- that's where ATF will send mail to you.

The out-of-state purchase and self importation of C&R handguns is not limited to 1 in 30 -- and a COE is not needed for that. You must be importing into CA for the purpose of your collection; not for resale -- else you are a dealer and in violation of the terms of your C&R license. The C&R+COE works at CA dealers as a waiver for 1 in 30 -- except in some localities such as City of LA that has their own 1 in 30 law.

Using a PO Box on your driver's License may cause you trouble when you buy from a CA dealer.

I have seen suggestions in the 2A law and politics forum that one have both a CA DL and a CD ID card. I have no idea if you can even have both. If so, you might have a PO Box on one and a street address on the other.

ke6guj
04-05-2010, 1:49 PM
Your C&R license has a premise address which is where shipments must be sent to and you collection must be located. It also has a mailing address which may be a PO Box -- that's where ATF will send mail to you.

not true. There is no requirement that you can only have shipments shipped to your premise address

nick
04-05-2010, 2:00 PM
Perfect, thank you for the responses, that clears things up. Let's see how long it'll take ATF to send me the forms. I'll have the spares, in case someone needs them later.

TRICKSTER
04-05-2010, 5:14 PM
not true. There is no requirement that you can only have shipments shipped to your premise address

+1. See page 8 of this ATF newsletter.
http://www.atf.gov/publications/newsletters/ffl/ffl-newsletter-2006-03.pdf

Everyone should take the time to go to the ATF site and read the FFL Publications,
they are very informative. http://www.atf.gov/firearms/industry/

IronCobra
04-05-2010, 5:30 PM
I'm also very interested in getting the 03 FFL.

I'm curious as to what to expect
After i fill out the form what happens?

Does the ATF contact you or do you just get an approve or deny?

What are the requirements for a safe? do they inspect or ask for model?
What exactly am i required to have for storage?

thank you for any help

andrew

ke6guj
04-05-2010, 5:48 PM
I'm also very interested in getting the 03 FFL.

I'm curious as to what to expect
After i fill out the form what happens?

Does the ATF contact you or do you just get an approve or deny?if you can legally purchase a handgun, it is normally an approve. ATF can do a pre-license interview, but they are rare.

What are the requirements for a safe? do they inspect or ask for model?
What exactly am i required to have for storage?nope,, no requirements like that. All you have to do is keep a "bound book" listing your C&R acquistions and dispositions.

hk91666
04-05-2010, 5:57 PM
Just got mine, I mailed it in February to Atlanta. they deducted my $30 on Feb 19th, license arrived from West Virginia March 29.

On the handgun question, I understand from talking to the DOJ we (03 license holders) can bring in 5 handguns C&R from out of state. Personally carry them in. Then fill out paperwork with $19 fee per handgun send it in within 5 days of entering Ca. Shipping in from a supplier requires Dros, 01 license etc...

Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

G/L on the license.

ke6guj
04-05-2010, 6:05 PM
On the handgun question, I understand from talking to the DOJ we (03 license holders) can bring in 5 handguns C&R from out of state. Personally carry them in. Then fill out paperwork with $19 fee per handgun send it in within 5 days of entering Ca. there is no limit.

Shipping in from a supplier requires Dros, 01 license etc...
correct.

hk91666
04-05-2010, 6:16 PM
Thanks for the clarification.