PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbine Muzzle Brake

CEDaytonaRydr
04-05-2010, 10:34 AM
I was going to pick up a sling and oiler for my Carbine and I cam across this GI muzzle brake. It looks a little flimsy but if it works, I was thinking about giving it a shot. Anyone ever use one of these?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MCB103-1.html

dfletcher
04-05-2010, 1:00 PM
I had one. Here's an original:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=544760&catid=11881

Numrich also makes a repro for $38.00, you may need to go through them if CTD won't mail you an "assault weapon part" ....

I didn't notice any difference in recoil because the 30 Carbine doesn't generate much. It will however leave a little wear mark around your barrel where the clamp is secured - kind of like a wallet does in a pair of jeans. I'd expect the brake rubs & moves a bit duriing firing.

CEDaytonaRydr
04-05-2010, 1:21 PM
I had one. Here's an original:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=544760&catid=11881

Numrich also makes a repro for $38.00, you may need to go through them if CTD won't mail you an "assault weapon part" ....

I didn't notice any difference in recoil because the 30 Carbine doesn't generate much. It will however leave a little wear mark around your barrel where the clamp is secured - kind of like a wallet does in a pair of jeans. I'd expect the brake rubs & moves a bit duriing firing.

Yeah, I'm not sure how much recoil it would reduce (honestly, how much could it if there's not much to begin with :confused: ) but I thought it was somewhat cool looking. It might be something to help my Carbine stand out from the crowd, a bit...

MG34
04-05-2010, 3:14 PM
Friend has one on his M2 Carbine, works fine.

Spiggy
04-05-2010, 4:01 PM
IMHO, it works when you're releasing a whole magazine downrange, but one round after another doesn't make much of a difference.

mls343
04-05-2010, 4:09 PM
+1

I personally do not see a need for it as it shoots semi auto only, already has light recoil, and adding things only takes away from its intended purpose - to be a light weight, handy defensive weapon.

I have all the accessories for my M1 carbines, but if you put on a flash hider, add a legal 30 round magazine (pre ban...), magazine butt stock holder, etc and now you have a carbine pushing 10 lbs. Might as well go Garand for that weight.

M1 Carbines are made to be light and simple.

Just my $0.02.

TRICKSTER
04-05-2010, 8:14 PM
+1

I personally do not see a need for it as it shoots semi auto only, already has light recoil, and adding things only takes away from its intended purpose - to be a light weight, handy defensive weapon.

I have all the accessories for my M1 carbines, but if you put on a flash hider, add a legal 30 round magazine (pre ban...), magazine butt stock holder, etc and now you have a carbine pushing 10 lbs. Might as well go Garand for that weight.

M1 Carbines are made to be light and simple.

Just my $0.02.

If you add a Flash Hider, you now have created a AW. The weight is the last thing you need to worry about.

bohoki
04-05-2010, 8:39 PM
If you add a Flash Hider, you now have created a AW. The weight is the last thing you need to worry about.

you mean the cone of loudness

SimpleCountryActuary
04-05-2010, 8:59 PM
you mean the cone of loudness

That's funny!

On Get Smart (TV show) the people inside the Cone of Silence couldn't hear what was being said; only the people outside the Cone could hear what was said inside the Cone. They also had a portable Cone of Silence.

In the World of Get Smart, the flash hider would make it easier for people to see where the shot was fired from.