PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Move to Bay Area

Picchioni
04-04-2010, 11:53 PM
Hello All,
I've been a reader/lurker of these forums for the last 6 months or so gaining a wealth of information (to which I appreciate), and have a couple of questions. I'm currently an Arizona resident, and will be moving up to SJ for 3 months for work.

I will not be filing for California residency because I'm only be living there for 3 months. Do any laws change if I'm there with my firearms considering I won't be a California resident? I'll of course have an apartment and be paying for California utilities if that matters.

I'll be taking my Beretta Px4 .40 up with me, I'll be picking up a 10rd mag and leaving my 14's at home. Will I need to register my pistol with the DOJ considering how long I'll be staying there? Is this even possible considering I won't be a resident?

Anything special I need to be aware for in terms of bringing my ammo with me?

I'm considering taking my PSL that I'll be purchasing at the end of the month. I'll be fitting it with a bullet button to ensure it's legal. When transporting it, does it fall under the clause

Nonconcealable firearms (rifles and shotguns) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 12025 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported. A rifle or shotgun that is defined as an assault weapon pursuant to Penal Code 12276 or 12276.1 must be transported in accordance with Penal Code section 12026.1. or do I still need to transport it in a locked case? Do I also need to keep an empty magazine attached to the riffle to keep it legal? Or can I transport it without an empty magazine attached?

Is there anything special I need to know about my Mossberg 500 Roadblocker? I have added a telescoping stock to it, if that makes a difference. Everything I have read about "evil features" only applies to "assault weapons" so am I safe to assume shotguns are not covered under this?

Do I need to get permission from the landlord to have my firearms in my apartment, or do I just need to look for fine print in the lease that might say firearms aren't allowed?

Thanks for all your help.

Colt-45
04-05-2010, 12:02 AM
For your rifle you need a bullet button and 10 round magazines, you should keep an unloaded 10 round magazine attached just to be safe. Must be unloaded when transported.

Mossberg roadblocker's are also sold here so I wouldn't worry about it. Even though it looks intimidating as hell and I wouldn't wanna be at the other end of that thing lol.

Unless it specifically says NO GUNS ALLOWED or that all guns should be made aware of with landlord I don't think you need to let your landlord know.

Welcome to California, good thing your only here for 3 months and going back to AZ.

I have a few questions about Arizona residency as well. PM inbound.

Picchioni
04-05-2010, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the info.

Feel free to ask away about Arizona residency. I will have the 10rd magazines with me, does one need to be physically attached to the PSL or will simply having it in the case be ok?

Colt-45
04-05-2010, 12:16 AM
One thing I forgot to mention, the Taurus Judge is banned here and there's no way around it.

This is a PSL right?

http://www.guninformer.com/Small%20arms/Sniper%20rifles/Sniper%20rifles/PSL/psl003pn8.jpg

I would keep an unloaded 10 round magazine attached to the rifle(in the mag well) at all times just to be safe.

Which ever handguns, rifles or shotguns you plan on bringing into Ca check the AW flowcharts for each at the top of this page. Handguns, rifles and shotguns have their own specifics. Hope this helps

Picchioni
04-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Yep that's a PSL. I don't have a Judge so no worries there. I'll keep an unloaded magazine in the mag well to be on the safe side. Thanks!

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions about Arizona laws (or lack there of).

*edit* According to the flow chart, if my shotgun has a telescoping stock and a pistol grip it violates 12276.1a
Looks like I might be leaving the stock at home.

*edit 2* Wait, I lied. I missed the part about it saying semi-auto.

nagorb
04-05-2010, 12:27 AM
In terms of ammo the only ones you should worry about are the black talon .45 caliber rounds. It's a felony to posses those here.

Can you please post a link to the pc

nagorb
04-05-2010, 12:29 AM
Most any info you need can be found here http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Main_Page

Colt-45
04-05-2010, 12:36 AM
If you have any questions feel free to ask me. If I don't have the answer I will point you in the right direction

Picchioni
04-05-2010, 12:41 AM
Most any info you need can be found here http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Main_Page

Thanks for the link, between it and FNH5-7 most of my questions have been answered. The only one I'm still unsure about is pistol registration. Would you happen to know about that?

If you have any questions feel free to ask me. If I don't have the answer I will point you in the right direction
Thanks a bunch, will do.

nagorb
04-05-2010, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the link, between it and FNH5-7 most of my questions have been answered. The only one I'm still unsure about is pistol registration. Would you happen to know about that?

I think you don't have to register it but I'm not positive so I don't want to say either way.