View Full Version : SRB's for self loading rifles are ready!!!

02-15-2006, 7:01 PM
I have received a number of e-mail's and PM's reguarding my SRB or Spring Retaining Bracket. Along with the help of my good friend Shoktroop we have placed an order for 50 SRB's from a CNC shop and we will be ready to ship them in 30-35 days.

For those that do not know what a SRB is I'll explain.....
There are two ways to configure a 223 self loading rifle. One way is to attach a 10 round mag that can not be removed into the receiver requiring the rear receiver pin to be removed and the upper to swing forward just like a FAB-10 or Vulcan rifle. The other option is to not have a pistol grip and keep the removable mag feature of your receiver. Part of the funtion of the pistol grip on a Self Loading rifle is to house the spring which keeps the safety or selector switch held into the receiver. If the grip is removed the spring and selector detent pin will fall out. The SRB is a way to hold the spring and detent without the pistol grip.

The SRB IS NOT a grip. Its a SPRING RETAINING BRACKET and nothing else. It's thin narrow design does not allow for a grip or grasp of any kind. The DOJ states the following about pistol grips.....

978.20 (e) "Pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon means a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp in which the web of the trigger hand (between the thumb and index finger) can be placed below the top of the exposed portion of the trigger while firing."

The definition of "Conspicuously" is the following.....

1. Easy to notice; obvious.
2. Attracting attention, as by being unusual or remarkable; noticeable.

The SRB is none of these and that is why we are bringing them to you as an alternative to the fixed-mag setup.

I have been using mine for over a month now and it funtions and feel very nice. If you want to know what it feels like, just hold a gripless lower receiver adn there ya go. All SRB's are machined from blocks of 6061 aluminum and painted a ultra flat black like in my pictures. There is also the option of an unpainted SRB for those that want to do there own coloring. Included with the SRB will be a shorter 1/4-28X3/4 bolt to hold the SRB in place.

Total price for the SRB and bolt is $35 shipped to your door! The catch is only 50 will be made on this run because we want to make sure the CNC shop gets the fit and finish right before we order a larger amount.

I will be taking a list of the first 50 people who post that they want one. No money will be collected until I have the SRB's in hand and can inspect each one for proper fit. When all have passed we will be collecting via Paypal or up front cash for those in our area if they don't mind driving down to Santa Cruz. The price for direct pickup is still $35 even if it is not shipped.

Some of you might be thinking what the DOJ has to say about this part. Well, they don't have anything to say because they don't know. All my research shows that this is not a pistol grip and therefore does not need to be discused with them. We have thought about sending in a SRB + receiver for evaluation by the DOJ but know they would not give the OK until many many months from now. If you are uneasy about doing anything without the DOJ's say so, feel free to send in one yourself or just not buy one. Shoktroop and I have discused this issue many times and we are firm in ways. Please keep all opinions to your self about this issue.

Now for the pictures I know you all want to see.....
Mag and spring NOT included.

02-15-2006, 7:02 PM
old design but another way to hold it

1.Tech Ted

02-15-2006, 7:09 PM
Can we get a picture of you holding the rifle to see what the hand position is?

02-15-2006, 7:15 PM
Can we get a picture of you holding the rifle to see what the hand position is?

Pics added above

02-15-2006, 7:33 PM
count me in for 2.

02-15-2006, 7:40 PM
I'll take two, and here's hoping it becomes an interesting collector's item and not a permanent fixture! :)

02-15-2006, 8:17 PM
Add me to the list for 1.

02-15-2006, 8:18 PM
I'll take one.....

02-15-2006, 8:28 PM
One please. I'll deliver cash and come pick it up.

You should give a discount for bona-fide residents of Santa Cruz county. If you want, I can offer proof: a building permit, signed of by a real Santa Cruz county building inspector! The building inspectors here have about the same reputation as DoJ field staff: very very bad. Having worked with a half dozen building inspectors, the reputation is undeserved. Most of them are friendly, and really trying to help. All of them try as best as they can to enforce the building code, concentrating on safety issues. Some of them are a bit picky and petty, but never unreasonable. They are quite frequently ill-informed or clueless about complicated situations, but always willing to listen to sensible arguments. Several times when we had disagreements, they had to go back to the office to look up the code books and talk to their supervisor; more often than not, they end up being exactly right on the issues after studying them.

02-15-2006, 8:32 PM
Rumpled's in for one.

02-15-2006, 8:34 PM
I'll take one!

02-15-2006, 8:34 PM
One please. I'll deliver cash and come pick it up.

You should give a discount for bona-fide residents of Santa Cruz county.

LOL I wish we could but we are not making much here. Just covering our costs and a little extra for our time.

You know, I don't know why you, Shoktroop and I have not hooked up before for a shoot. We should plan to go to Markleys or Laguna someday.

02-16-2006, 3:38 AM
You know the policy don't you?