PDA

View Full Version : Bakersfield - Famoso - Buttonwillow: Where to Shoot

greasemonkey
04-04-2010, 9:41 AM
Post up some ranges that you know of in the South Valley. Just copy/paste the following and fill it in for your post:

Range Name:
Address:
Indoor or Outdoor?
rifle, pistol and/or trap?:
OLL Friendly?:

**If you own property outside the city and would like to host a small Calguns shoot'n'que, PM me.

Desert_Rat
04-04-2010, 4:22 PM
Range Name:.................................5 Dogs
Address: .....................................20238 Woody Road
Bakersfield, CA 93308-9117
(661) 399-7296
Indoor or Outdoor?........................Outdoor
rifle, pistol and/or trap?:.................Rifle,pistol,they have throwers for you to use
OLL Friendly?:................................Yes
Website:....................................... www.5dogsrange.com

Great place to shoot.

jmabbott888
04-13-2010, 12:53 AM
If you are military, police or retired from either you can go to Camp Hamilton which is on Lerdo Hwy just east of the jail. Not much there but it is cheap, just a donation & walk around the trees with plaques of departed military personel.

Desert_Rat
04-13-2010, 5:26 PM
^ The guy who runs/owns that place was the NCOIC of the school of infantry when I went through there in '94. Mgysgt.Denton I've been out there a few times to shoot.It's kinda a wierd feeling going out there tho.

jmabbott888
04-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Kinda weird feeling.... imagine how I feel when I tell em I was Navy lol.

Desert_Rat
04-15-2010, 8:24 PM
Ha Ha Ha,He's still a hard charger isn't He.

NaughtyMonkey
06-24-2010, 11:39 PM
5 Dogs is a good place.

bomb_on_bus
07-06-2010, 5:40 PM
wow not many places to shoot LOL

I do know of a place up in Tehachapi that I have seen pictures floating around on the internet.

There used to be a place out past Buttonwillow just west of the Aqueduct that was decent and now that is closed.

Then theres a place to go over off of Bena road heading towards caliente just past the dumps.

Other then 5 dogs theres nothing other then BLM land as far as I know. Hopefully some others will be able to chime in on this topic as I am interested to know as well

jmabbott888
07-11-2010, 3:07 PM
That place in Tehachapi is east of town off the 58 on the north side of the rd. I forget the exit but it is the next one after you pass the mine & before you head down the canyon into the desert. Don't forget you can target shoot in the Sequoa forest, at least that is what the rangers at the greenhorn summit told me 2 years ago.

sixstringslinger
08-12-2010, 9:17 AM
Where do you go on BLM land to shoot near Bakersfield? I went down to the office last summer and bought a map of BLM land and the guy there was all......"well you can't shoot here because it's land locked, and you can't shoot there because it's for oil & gas exploration, and you can't shoot over there because that's a National Monument...any suggestions? I like 5 Dogs alot, but with the cost of .45 what it is right now and dropping an extra $20 to take the wife or kid shooting and having to be on-call for work and not having cell reception, it'd be nice to know of something a little closer for a quick outing to pop off a box every now and then. Any suggestions?

sixstringslinger
08-12-2010, 9:24 AM
Oh, there is an area north of the KC Fire Dept. & KC Search and Rescue in Frazier Park. You take Frazier Mountain Park Rd to Mt. Pinos Way and take that west till you just leaving Frazier Park and Turn north on West End Trail at the KC Fire Dept. The pavement ends an you follow the dirt road up the mountain. If you call the Ranger Station up there they'll let you know if the area is open for shooting or not due. It's not a maintained road so it's not recommended to take a passenger car up there.

kenshnx
08-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Whatever you do don't go to second amendment sports

greasemonkey
08-24-2010, 11:19 PM
Why is that?

Whatever you do don't go to second amendment sports

pyro22
08-25-2010, 8:50 PM
I have been a member (silver) for over a year and a half and shoot at least twice a month never had a problem with any staff member. after I'd shot there a shot few times and got known by them I was treated great. Blew a primer and locked up my 686 still had 4 live rounds in it the gunsmith had up and running in 5 min. no charge. I try to go 2 til 4pm middle of the week nice and quiet some of the people shooting the rentals can be a pain loud trying to act like bad**es but can't hit a man sizes target at 5 yrds you know the type I love to run the target out to 25 yrds and put 5 in the head, 5 in the chest they tend to quiet down. sometimes i'll see someone who really did'nt have a clue and I try to help with some basic instuction & advice, heck back around feb a guy and his son insisted on taking me to hooters for dinner and drinks:D

Slabsides
08-26-2010, 2:47 PM
2nd Amendment isn't a bad place to shoot. It's close if you live in town.

I've burned a lot of powder up behind the fire station in Frazier Park. Great spot. Just please, please, please clean up after yourself and someone else if you can.

OnlyKetchup
09-17-2010, 4:02 PM
Any more BLM recommendations? I just moved to Bakersfield and am looking at getting my first gun.

Thanks

Blackboomstick
09-22-2010, 12:11 PM
If you're just looking for a handgun range then I'd go to 2nd amendment. Until Ole Boy gets their range up and running. Otherwise go to 5 dogs. It's a bit of a drive but it's the only place where you can take long guns. I don't think there's much around in the way of BLM land close by.

OnlyKetchup
09-22-2010, 8:15 PM
From what I had read, there seems to be a lot of BLM around here. Just not sure where exactly....guess I'll go to the BLM office in town and buy the map, and then try to find a good spot.

I've been to 2nd ammendment, and it is fine (although one employee was a jerk, the others were nice). I want to shoot long guns, and figure why drive an hour to 5 dogs and pay the membership, when there is plenty of BLM land within that hour drive.

guitar-nut
09-25-2010, 4:44 PM
My roommate knows a couple guys that work at 5 dogs when their army unit isn't deployed. Great guys, they told me 5 dogs is extremely OLL friendly. A lot of people in town have warned me not to buy from or in any way deal with 2nd Amendment. My father goes there only for the peace officers discount they provide, otherwise he hates them.

donchuy
10-23-2010, 12:17 PM
did u find any good spots around bakersfield to shoot besides 5 dog

Ultimate
10-23-2010, 6:12 PM
Man I wish I would have seen this post earlier. There is a great BLM shooting area about 30 miles west of Bakersfield just outside Maricopa right before the Carrizo National Monument. In fact just went out there with my brother recently.

You need a truck or something with a little bit of a ground clearance and you are good to go.

Its almost always empty but it's as close as you can get to an outdoor shooting range without having to pay a fee.

Pick up your trash if you do go.

PM me for better directions.

digitalelf
11-02-2010, 12:27 PM
I don't understand all the hate for Second Amendment Sports... :confused:

I've had NOTHING but good experiences whenever I've gone there...

I guess YMMV...

Ultimate
11-03-2010, 3:17 PM

I guess YMMV...

I think most of the people at 2nd are pretty decent guys. Yeah sometimes the guns are way overpriced but sometimes they are relatively in line. It's worth to check out.

I only know of one person for sure who I dislike the way he works. He just seems like a total douche bag. Way serious, it just doesn't seem like he wants to work there or be there and you can feel it in the way he talks to customers. I mean who knows maybe he is just a recluse and doesn't know how to talk to people.

There are real stand up people there though, Like Ivan he is pretty cool, and the two ladies I forgot their names. They really look like they enjoy working there and giving their insight to the customers.

Desert_Rat
11-03-2010, 6:50 PM

I guess YMMV...

SAS employees act like they've sold too many guns,on most days.although once the guy was pretty good with Me,that was years ago.Actually before the new store,when they were working out of the Sea Train across the street.

Pretty soon for indoor ranges it will be Ole Boys Outdoor and FTW!
I was talking to the guy who will be rangemaster and He says that some rifles will be OK....That place will be on My drive path home......

Slim///
11-04-2010, 4:07 AM

I guess YMMV...

Well one of the last times I went there I took my buddy to take his HSC test. And when we asked one of the employees if he could take it, he said he couldn't administer the test unless he was buying a gun that same day and went on some rant about how the ATF is limiting the amount of HSC's they give out or some BS like that. To me it sounds like he was just being lazy because he wouldn't make any commission on a HSC :rolleyes:

Their range is pretty much the only reason I go there. Most of the employees that I deal with are good people, but there are a couple that act like they hate working there.

Desert_Rat
11-04-2010, 8:26 PM
To shoot at two more places You could start shooting with Kern IDPA and the You could shoot at the Taft Sportsmens Club and the Shafter City Range.We alternate every other month from one to the other.

Slabsides
11-05-2010, 7:14 AM
Looking forward to the next IDPA shoot in Taft on 13 November.

We are moving right along with the new Ole Boy Outdoors facility. The range is going to be unlike anything here in Bakersfield. We are very excited about it....and very sore from off loading all of the equipment yesterday.

Desert_Rat
11-06-2010, 3:56 PM
I was hoping You'd chime in here...

Slabsides
11-09-2010, 1:55 PM
Make sure you swing by our current location in the Albertson's Shopping Center on Rosedale Hwy so we can get your address and mail you an invite to the pre-opening event.

sequoia_nomad
11-22-2010, 6:37 PM
Make sure you swing by our current location in the Albertson's Shopping Center on Rosedale Hwy so we can get your address and mail you an invite to the pre-opening event.

Where is the new location going to be?

Slabsides
11-23-2010, 6:36 AM
Where is the new location going to be?

The new facility is at 12556 Jomani Rd. North from Rosedale Hwy on Allen Rd. Rt on Jomani. We are on the left hand side of the st.

The dry wall is up in the show room and training room. The range is painted. Won't be long now!

mds2004
11-23-2010, 11:32 AM
The new facility is at 12556 Jomani Rd. North from Rosedale Hwy on Allen Rd. Rt on Jomani. We are on the left hand side of the st.

The dry wall is up in the show room and training room. The range is painted. Won't be long now!

Any idea on membership prices? I was thinking about *gasp* purchasing one from 2nd amendment *gasp*

Slim///
11-23-2010, 2:54 PM
*gasp* :eek:

Slabsides
12-10-2010, 6:34 PM
Any idea on membership prices? I was thinking about *gasp* purchasing one from 2nd amendment *gasp*

Soooo Sorry for my *gasp* delay.

Memberships will start at $35/ year and go up from there. Come on in and see me. We are still operating out of the "old" shop until we get our permits transferred and such, which won't be long now.

SikDMAX
12-10-2010, 6:42 PM
Anything towards the west? Im in San Luis but always up for a drive or a ride out 58 to do some shooting!

Desert_Rat
12-10-2010, 9:40 PM
TAFT. Cruise out here on the 58. Then go south on 33 to Taft. Second Sat in Jan is the next Taft shoot. Stay tuned for details

Slabsides
12-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Looking forward to the Taft shoot.

cabba
12-24-2010, 9:25 AM
Can you shoot your AR-15 at 5 Dogs range? Is that considered a long rifle?

Slabsides
12-27-2010, 6:26 AM
Finally!!!!!

The indoor range at Ole Boy Outdoors INC will be open at 3:00pm today, Monday Dec 27!

12556 Jomani!

Ask em for the Range Master.

Desert_Rat
12-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Can you shoot your AR-15 at 5 Dogs range? Is that considered a long rifle?

Yes and Yes:chris:

gdbouy
12-27-2010, 9:59 PM
The Kern Valley club is open every day. Membership is $30. a year. There is no fog here. President is R. B. Frazier 760-378-2047 rbfrazier@earthlink.net. Steel plate and paper targets.

bumDharma
01-13-2011, 2:23 PM
I'd like to give a +1 to Ole Boy Outdoors. Not only is the indoor range absolutely top notch in my opinion, but they are a fine gun store and pro shop as well. I've bought two firearms from the friendly bunch there (my XD and my Citori). The staff is helpful and they really know their stuff.

That said I have also burnt a lot of powder at 5 Dogs. The trip is always fun and the folks there are friendly. Definitely stay for lunch and get the hot dog...well worth the 3 bucks.

If shotgun sports are your thing, the Kern County Gun Club out by Buena Vista Lake is an awesome facility with a number of areas for trap, skeet and sporting clays.

I've also had a lot of fun driving into the National Forest and setting up things to plink at in various places, or in driving into some of the BLM land on the west side of the valley as well. If you are going out there to shoot though, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE pick up your empties and police your mess. Let's try to leave the wilder lands like we found them so everyone can enjoy them.

Slabsides
01-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Thank you for the kind words about Ole Boy Outdoors bum. We are all shooting and hunting enthusiasts, and I have yet to run into a "know-it-all" since I have been on staff.

bumDharma
01-14-2011, 2:25 PM
Hey man, you guys are great. Can't wait until you get your rental guns. I want to try out one of those FNPs :D

Slabsides
01-15-2011, 12:43 AM
We should have our rentals by the first part of next month.

We start shooting AR's and such this Tue and Thu from 4:30 to 7:00!!! Should be fun.

Sheepdog
01-17-2011, 4:43 AM
Does Ole Boy work on a membership plan? How much does it cost to shoot there?

Slabsides
01-19-2011, 7:49 PM
Sheepdog. For insurance reasons, we do work on a membership plan. Memberships start at $35 a year (pay as you go plan) on up to the all inclusive family plan for $275 (every member of the household over 18 is a member and paid up for the year as well as their guests). We have memberships for LEO's and Military personnel as well as for our mature crowd......

Come on in and see me. I'm in the back at the range masters den almost everyday!

Sheepdog
01-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Thanks! I DID come in and it looks like a great range. VERY well laid out, comfortable and well lit. I look forward to joining. Next time I will try to catch you there...:cool2:

Slabsides
01-25-2011, 7:44 AM
Sorry I missed you Sheepdog. Look forward to meeting you next time. You should try to swing by tonight. We allow rifles from 4:30 to 7:00 every Tuesday and Thursday! It is very cool to see a bunch of AR's and such having at it in an indoor range!! :43:

thepunisher
01-27-2011, 5:47 PM
Sorry I missed you Sheepdog. Look forward to meeting you next time. You should try to swing by tonight. We allow rifles from 4:30 to 7:00 every Tuesday and Thursday! It is very cool to see a bunch of AR's and such having at it in an indoor range!! :43:

Man I have been wanting to get over there to your new place, all I hear are
good things.

Slabsides
01-31-2011, 5:22 PM
Man I have been wanting to get over there to your new place, all I hear are
good things.

Glad the reviews have been favorable. All of our shooters seem to be having a great time. Get on in here punisher and check it out!

OnlyKetchup
02-07-2011, 8:45 PM
Looking forward to checking out Ole Boys. Have you guys got your rental guns in yet?

Slim///
02-07-2011, 10:09 PM
I was there yesterday and they don't yet. But the range master they'll be in this month. Can't wait :)

Slabsides
02-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Slim....when were you here? I wish you would have introduced yourself. Next time make sure you say "HI".

You are correct. I have 62 handguns on the way. 2 AR's. 2 S&W M&P .22's, And who knows what else..

It's getting fun.

Slim///
02-08-2011, 2:33 PM
I was the guy that showed up at the beginning of the game. Looking forward to shoot again when you guys get your rentals in. I'll make sure to say hi next time :)

Slabsides
02-08-2011, 4:34 PM
Please do.

OnlyKetchup
02-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Slab, do you guys sell AR stripped lowers?

Slabsides
02-09-2011, 4:31 PM
We sure do. I don't know the details but one of the guys up front could help you out for sure.

wrdavis
02-24-2011, 8:53 AM
Man I wish I would have seen this post earlier. There is a great BLM shooting area about 30 miles west of Bakersfield just outside Maricopa right before the Carrizo National Monument. In fact just went out there with my brother recently.

You need a truck or something with a little bit of a ground clearance and you are good to go.

Its almost always empty but it's as close as you can get to an outdoor shooting range without having to pay a fee.

Pick up your trash if you do go.

PM me for better directions.

I visit Bakersfield once or twice a year and would like to take my cousin out shooting. I'm not there often enough to justify joining a range, so would like to find some legal spot out on BLM land.

Can you PM the better directions to this location to me?

McTerry
03-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Finally made the decision to get a membership at Ol Boy yesterday. Absolutely fabulous experience. Never been to a indoor range before and this was my first experience. Was really, really, happy with the experience there as not one employee in the shop or the range master had anything other than encouraging words and a positive attitude.

DudeDoug2000
03-11-2011, 1:49 PM
Finally made the decision to get a membership at Ol Boy yesterday. Absolutely fabulous experience. Never been to a indoor range before and this was my first experience. Was really, really, happy with the experience there as not one employee in the shop or the range master had anything other than encouraging words and a positive attitude.

I have not shot there yet but I bought an Arsenal SGL at the end of January from them. I gotta tell you they are great people to buy a firearm from. Im not going to bash other gun stores, I'll just say I have a FFL guy as we almost all do and the only gun stores I'll go to here In town are Valley Gun and Ol Boy Outdoors, I hear Ten Percent up In Taft Is good too. Ive never shot at an Indoor range so I think I'll give them a try. Can't wait till they get that store filled up!

Slim///
03-12-2011, 7:38 PM
Finally made the decision to get a membership at Ol Boy yesterday. Absolutely fabulous experience. Never been to a indoor range before and this was my first experience. Was really, really, happy with the experience there as not one employee in the shop or the range master had anything other than encouraging words and a positive attitude.Did they receive their rentals yet??

McTerry
03-13-2011, 1:31 AM
Did they receive their rentals yet??

I didn't ask, had my own M&P with me and just wanted to see how things went.

Slabsides
03-13-2011, 11:18 AM
We are starting to get our rental fleet in. H&K USP 40, Glock 30, 23, and 19 along with the Saiga 7.62x39.

More rentals to follow.

McTerry
04-07-2011, 5:17 PM
Looks like Ole Boy Outdoors got some Rental Guns in! Woohoo!

Rental Guns Now Available with Membership :

Glock 19 9mm
Glock 23 40 S&W
Glock 30 45ACP
H&K USP 40 40 S&W
LWRC R.E.P.R. 308
LWRC M6A2 68
Saiga AK103

(Must use our ammo at all times)
More options coming soon... Stay tuned!

Taken from their Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/oleboyoutdoorsinc

riflem16a4
04-11-2011, 3:36 PM
wow not many places to shoot LOL

I do know of a place up in Tehachapi that I have seen pictures floating around on the internet.

There used to be a place out past Buttonwillow just west of the Aqueduct that was decent and now that is closed.

Then theres a place to go over off of Bena road heading towards caliente just past the dumps.

Other then 5 dogs theres nothing other then BLM land as far as I know. Hopefully some others will be able to chime in on this topic as I am interested to know as well

where where i never seen one there give me their website

offdutyalot
04-22-2011, 5:19 PM
I went to Carrizo Plains (BLM west of bakersfield, north on Soda Lake rd.) yesterday and found another great spot out there to shoot. I took a dirt road on the east side of the canyon this time and made it back in there in my BMW with no problems.

Unfortunately, I was approached by a gentleman, and I believe his son, who have cattle grazing out there. He very respectfully asked me not to shoot any of his water containers that the cattle drink from. At first, I was a bit insulted until he explained that some hunters shot the heck out of his water containers the day before and he had been repairing alot of holes. I explained that I would never do that nor do I condone that behavior. It's the jerks that destroy property that give us responsible shooters a bad name. It's also the same jerks that get shooting/hunting prohibitted on public lands.

The rancher was extremely polite and I reassured him that my buddy and I had no intention of damaging any property.

All in all, we had a great shoot in a great spot and left it as clean as we found it. There was no previous trash to pick up so it was clean when we got there.

DoubleB
05-21-2011, 9:35 PM
Brand new Calguns guy here. I am a 5th grade teacher at a local elementary school. I really don't have any friends that are in the firearms hobby and am look for places to shoot and guys to shoot with. I just got my first handgun (Ruger SR9) a little over a week ago. I got some great training from Slabsides over at Ole Boy and am now a member of the range there. The range is very nice and everyone seems very professional. It is also only abut 10 minutes from my house which is a huge plus. However, I am looking for a decent, LEGAL, outdoor site where I can take my two sons and teach them the ropes on my 10/22 without the loud booms of the indoor range. If you have a good spot please PM me. I am also hoping to get out to 5 Dogs in a couple of weeks once school ends and I am on vacation.

Desert_Rat
05-22-2011, 9:08 PM
Come on out and Shoot IDPA with the guys at Taft IDPA in Taft or the guys at Bakersfield IDPA at 5 dogs. or BOTH! In Bakersfield there is also a great group of USPSA shooters.

Slabsides
07-23-2011, 10:22 AM
In case some of you didn't know, we started our Ole Boy Outdoors Indoor Shooting League last month. Our next match is next Thursday, the 28th of July. "The All American". First prize is a RIA 1911! Come in and see me for more details.

Also, the July NRA Home Firearm Safety class (offered by your truly) will be held here on Tuesday the 26th of July. I still have a few seats available.

tsisco
08-27-2011, 5:39 PM

I found out today that Ole Boys' now allows rifles all day Saturday now to compensate because they started closing on Sundays due to lack of business on Sunday (hopefully, just on Sunday.) :confused:

I'm not a 2nd Amendment trasher and have no hard feelings against them, but I have to say that Ole Boys has gone out of their way to make me feel welcome in their beautiful, new facility and I haven't shot at 2nd Amendment since they opened. I am concerned about their new policy of closing on Sundays and hope it's not an indication that they aren't making it money-wise. If you haven't been there, you should give it a try. It's just off Allen Road about a mile north of Rosedale Highway, give or take.

Ole Boys' Outdoors
12556 Jomani Dr Suite A
Bakersfield, CA 93312

BTW, I have no affiliation with this company and do not know any of them personally. They're just doing a good job and I feel kudos are due to them.

bjonesgtaw
08-28-2011, 6:00 PM
i have to second that, ole boys has always treated me right and always had what i needed except an abundant supply of wolf 7.62 that i require lol. i do hope that ol boys will cater to the black rifle crowed more, stalking stuff like mag locks, kydex grips and rebuild kits in the future.

i will absolutely not shop at 2nd amendment anymore. their arrogant comments have pushed me away from ever shopping their again.

back on topic though, i do occasionally shoot out by tupman. i take stockdale highway west out of bakersfield past the 5fw, and take the first left afterwards towards the tule elk reserve, fallow the bend until you run into a T in the road. take a left(south) and go down towards the first canal which should be an offshoot of the kern river, take the dirt road west on the north side of the river and fallow it down to the bridge. from there in for about a mile you can shoot and have no problems. ive been out there and shot with sheriffs, CO's etc. normally there are targets setup and brass galore for the reloading guys.

Slabsides
08-30-2011, 2:59 PM
Thanks again for the kind words folks.

We were bummed about closing on Sundays, but after 6 months, and only a handful of customers/shooters, we had to make the tough decission.

SOOO, We shoot rifles and shotguns as well as handguns on Saturdays, as well as Tue, Wed, Thu 4:30 to 7:00pm.

Look forward to seeing y'all out here.

Wayne

bigb0886
08-30-2011, 5:09 PM
@slabsides are there any restrictions on the shotgun ammo? I know for the rifle you have to buy your guys' right?

Slabsides
08-31-2011, 11:18 AM
@slabsides are there any restrictions on the shotgun ammo? I know for the rifle you have to buy your guys' right?

Rifle and Shotgun as well. We did a lot of tests with different loads and found that 00 thru 4Buck and slugs were our best bet, so that is what we require. Bird loads tore things up too much.

We stock in plenty of ammo for 12, 20, and some 410 at the range counter.

bjonesgtaw
09-10-2011, 12:27 PM
slabside, whats going on with your 7.62x39 ammo prices? its getting up there in price, i asked about buying wolf and was told you never have sold WOLF brand ammo? ive bought it from you guys plenty of times in the past.

mreed
09-11-2011, 3:00 PM
+1 for ole boy outdoors too! took my 15-22 there and got it bore sighted for free, nice people, amazing range even though i have yet to be in it. lol. i gotta check how much i can get .223 ammo for my AR, so maybe i can get a membership.

Slim///
09-11-2011, 5:30 PM
slabside, whats going on with your 7.62x39 ammo prices? its getting up there in price, i asked about buying wolf and was told you never have sold WOLF brand ammo? ive bought it from you guys plenty of times in the past.
+1 Bring back the Tula!

Slabsides
09-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Hey guys. We sell the Tula 7.62X39 and 7.62X54. The 7.62X39 runs $7.95. We also stock in PMC .223 for $7.95 aswell.

We used to stock Wolf in at the old shop, but the boolits are not compatable with our range material, so we stock Tula.

mreed
09-15-2011, 7:21 PM
^ can we bring in the brands you guys sell / know you can use or the range or is it strictly your pmc? thanks

Slabsides
09-16-2011, 10:53 AM
^ can we bring in the brands you guys sell / know you can use or the range or is it strictly your pmc? thanks

Unfortunately, what we have experienced is some folks will take packaging from say PMC, and place surplus ammo in the box. Some of this surplus ammo has who knows what kind of boolits in it. So, we require centerfire rifle and shotgun ammo be purchased at the range at the time it is shot.

A couple of bad characters ruin it for everybody.

sgtshen
10-08-2011, 2:00 PM
Is there any rural areas to shoot at

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

sjd78
10-09-2011, 9:22 PM
Slabsides- Can we use our own ammo in our own handguns or do we have to purchase ammo from you guys? Also, is it kosher to pick up our brass when done?

Slabsides
10-10-2011, 1:41 PM
@sjd78, with a "Centerfire", "Magnum", "M&P" or "C&R" membership you are more than welcome to bring your own handgun ammo, or purchase it from us at a discount. You sure may pick up your own brass, we just ask that you push forward what brass may be on the floor before you start shooting.

sjd78
10-10-2011, 4:46 PM
Thank You for the quick response! I appreciate it!

Slabsides
10-11-2011, 8:07 AM
You Bet!! Look forward to seeing you at the range.

Slabsides
10-12-2011, 10:54 AM
We are having our October Indoor Shooting League match on the 27th....:31:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njcHk11tTIQ

Hope to see you all here.

Wayne

bigb0886
10-12-2011, 12:43 PM
i have to second that, ole boys has always treated me right and always had what i needed except an abundant supply of wolf 7.62 that i require lol. i do hope that ol boys will cater to the black rifle crowed more, stalking stuff like mag locks, kydex grips and rebuild kits in the future.

i will absolutely not shop at 2nd amendment anymore. their arrogant comments have pushed me away from ever shopping their again.

back on topic though, i do occasionally shoot out by tupman. i take stockdale highway west out of bakersfield past the 5fw, and take the first left afterwards towards the tule elk reserve, fallow the bend until you run into a T in the road. take a left(south) and go down towards the first canal which should be an offshoot of the kern river, take the dirt road west on the north side of the river and fallow it down to the bridge. from there in for about a mile you can shoot and have no problems. ive been out there and shot with sheriffs, CO's etc. normally there are targets setup and brass galore for the reloading guys.

ive known of this spot from other shooters, but does anyone know what type of land it is? is it BLM or private property? with the new ban on open carry i want to try to figure it out in case i were to decide to go out there one day.

Muchosmangos
10-12-2011, 7:56 PM
Dont pay to shoot! I go to a place all the time in taft. Ill google map it later and show you it but it is about 100 yards with a large hill as the stop. I shoot there very often and the oil field workers just wave at me and even the chp didnt care

Desert_Rat
10-13-2011, 9:11 PM
Muchosmangos!!! If you're thinking about giving up a map to the steel tabled shooting spot...please don't!

Slabsides
10-28-2011, 1:12 PM
We had our Zombie Shoot last night at Ole Boy Outdoors. Had a great turnout and a few Calgunners made it.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i122/Twocrow/RangeZombies.jpg

Black light and Zombies are fun..

sjd78
11-03-2011, 4:55 PM
Muchosmangos!!! If you're thinking about giving up a map to the steel tabled shooting spot...please don't!

Why the heck not? Maybe some other Calguners in the area would like to utilize it.

Desert_Rat
11-20-2011, 3:24 PM
Why the heck not? Maybe some other Calguners in the area would like to utilize it.

Because it's hard enough to keep clean up there. The more people who are going there, the more chance there is that it will end up getting shut down for the messes that keep getting left there.

sjd78
12-01-2011, 9:03 AM
Because it's hard enough to keep clean up there. The more people who are going there, the more chance there is that it will end up getting shut down for the messes that keep getting left there.

So by your logic, punish the good because of the bad? Have you ever thought that the more good people who shoot there may equal less mess? How bout just pm the location to those who are really interested? That way it's not just out there for everyone to see?

Desert_Rat
12-02-2011, 6:37 PM
I'm not punishing anybody. If I see you out there I'll even say hi.:cool2:

Yehosha
12-20-2011, 3:19 PM
You guys talking about all these G14 classified shooting spots is pretty annoying. If you find a good spot where you are legally allowed to shoot, why would you not share it? My guess is, it's not a legal spot, but somewhere on private property you're getting away with it and don't want an increase in traffic to ruin it for you.

I've recently gotten more into target shooting and have been scouring the web for places to shoot, since it seems all the places I shot with my uncle 25 years ago are all fenced off or posted as private property. Heck maybe they were then, and I just didn't notice, but my uncle worked for Fish & Game so I just assumed we were someplace it was ok.

One place we used to go, I visited today just to check it out and see if it was still possible to shoot at, is off Breckenridge Rd. You go east on Breckenridge off Comanche Hwy about 3 miles or so, and there is what appears to be the perfect spot to shoot with lots of open area and a huge hill for a backdrop. Everything on that side of the road is wide open without any no trespassing or any kind of signs, but the other side of the road is fenced off and clearly marked private property. Is this area ok to shoot in? There are several spots I saw with hundreds of shell casings (and up the road a few miles further a spot with thousands of shell casings and target trash) so people are obviously shooting here a lot.

The one thing I am most concerned with is keeping it legal, so I'm not going to shoot anywhere I am 100% certain that it is ok to do so. I've had friends tell/show me spots where they go, and I know they're not legal, and I don't want to risk it personally. I'm also trying to avoid paying for a membership at a range if at all possible.

I did find one decent spot yesterday off Rancheria Rd in the Sequoia National Forest, but it'd be nice to find somewhere a bit closer.

If you do have a good legal spot to shoot, but don't want to put it out in the public domain, I'd greatly appreciate a PM with the location. Thanks!

RugerNo1
12-21-2011, 2:32 PM
...There are several spots I saw with hundreds of shell casings (and up the road a few miles further a spot with thousands of shell casings and target trash) so people are obviously shooting here a lot.

The bold reasons are why many do not want to give away their shooting spots. The trash/junk that accumulates at a spot is just more excuses people will use for the spot being closed down. Unfortunately, there is plenty of sport shooters out there that do not clean up after themselves and do not care to leave an area how they found it. I do not accuse anyone of this, but the fact cannot be ignored.

xXStingerXx
12-24-2011, 5:15 AM
I just purchased a membership at Ole Boys, everyone there is helpful and have great attitudes. Loyal member for life!!!

Desert_Rat
12-24-2011, 12:36 PM
The bold reasons are why many do not want to give away their shooting spots. The trash/junk that accumulates at a spot is just more excuses people will use for the spot being closed down. Unfortunately, there is plenty of sport shooters out there that do not clean up after themselves and do not care to leave an area how they found it. I do not accuse anyone of this, but the fact cannot be ignored.

We have a winner!

E Pluribus Unum
12-24-2011, 1:09 PM
I second the notion that 2nd amendment sports stinks. I will smelt my own iron and build my own guns before I ever spend a dime at SAS.

I was a long time customer of Mr. Janes when he ran it; now he moved to Arizona and the people I have dealt with are full of FUD. When I took the CCW class, they told me a gun and ammo had to be in separate passenger compartments.

For years, they refused to sell AR-15's stating they were "assault weapons". Only after other gun shops took the "risk" and started selling them, making money, did they start selling them.

When I wanted to purchase a .50 caliber rifle before the ban, they refused to charge me a standard Internet transfer fee of $100-$250. They told me it would be $35 + 15% of the total retail value of the rifle, or $525.

The final nail in the coffin for me was when I tried to do a PPT there and they wanted to charge me $85.00 and when confronted with the penal code, they said " I don't care what you have, the PPT fee is $35, but we have a storage fee of $50.."

When Janes and Bussy ran it, it was the place to go... I took two of their CCW classes and 2 of their "martial arms" tactical handgun defense courses over a period of several years. Since that time, Don Bussy is long gone, and Janes is off having real fun in a free state.

Go to Ole Boys... it's just down the street...

As far as places to shoot... there are MANY.. the closest free place to shoot is only 7 miles outside the city... it is 1 square mile of BLM land... but it's my secret spot. I don't want it being abused by stupid people. You too can find it if you go to the BLM office on Pegasys and buy a map.

Yehosha
12-24-2011, 1:42 PM
Do you guys honestly think that the type of people that trash a shooting spot would be perusing this site? It's possible, but unlikely. Sure a google search could bring them here, but do these redneck hillbillies even know how to use the internet? :)

Yehosha
12-24-2011, 1:45 PM
I asked this in the gunsmithing forum, but maybe I'll get an answer here.

I recently acquired a 1969 Browning A5 shotgun from my Step-Dad and it needs some work. It was his Dad's gun and it has been sitting in the case unused for over 30 years (a shame I know.) It shoots fine but does not eject the shell and load the next; you have to manually do it. So that needs to be fixed and I also need to make sure that I have the bronze friction piece and the bevel ring set up correctly for the type of ammo I will be using.

What I'm looking for is an good, honest gunsmith that will do a good job and not charge an outrageous price. I know I could take it to Valley Gun or Ole Boys or 2nd Amendment, but they'll probably charge the most as well. Anyone have someone they recommend?

Desert_Rat
12-24-2011, 8:24 PM
Do you guys honestly think that the type of people that trash a shooting spot would be perusing this site? It's possible, but unlikely. Sure a google search could bring them here, but do these redneck hillbillies even know how to use the internet? :)

Yes, I believe there are people on this very site who would leave a mess in the field.Sure not everybody, probably not you even. But there a re those types right here on this very board.

Yes, the redneck hillbillies you speak of can use the internet, I assure you.;)

I'm not trying to be a jackass here, but the internet is not some piece of super high technology that requires special access these days.

Just get out there and hit the back roads and the hill country on the westside, you'll find what you're looking for. If you look close enough, you might even find me.

RugerNo1
12-26-2011, 1:24 PM
I asked this in the gunsmithing forum, but maybe I'll get an answer here.

I recently acquired a 1969 Browning A5 shotgun from my Step-Dad and it needs some work. It was his Dad's gun and it has been sitting in the case unused for over 30 years (a shame I know.) It shoots fine but does not eject the shell and load the next; you have to manually do it. So that needs to be fixed and I also need to make sure that I have the bronze friction piece and the bevel ring set up correctly for the type of ammo I will be using.

What I'm looking for is an good, honest gunsmith that will do a good job and not charge an outrageous price. I know I could take it to Valley Gun or Ole Boys or 2nd Amendment, but they'll probably charge the most as well. Anyone have someone they recommend?

I talked to a local gentlemen that works on C&R firearms in the Bakersfield area about a year ago. He often has a booth at the gunshows. I will look to see if I can find his card.

Yehosha
12-26-2011, 9:18 PM
I talked to a local gentlemen that works on C&R firearms in the Bakersfield area about a year ago. He often has a booth at the gunshows. I will look to see if I can find his card. Thanks. If I don't hear anything soon, I'll just take it in to Ole Boys.

Yehosha
12-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Dropped my gun off today with the guy RugerNo1 directed me to. Said he'd have it back by early next week and is charging a very nominal fee. He's retired, but takes on some work when he has the time, mostly restorations. If anyone is in need of work done, send me a PM and I'll give you his name & number.

FYI Valley Gun is backed up 8 weeks out and Ole Boys isn't even taking smithing jobs til next month. Very surprised in a city this big that there are so few gunsmiths.

Slabsides
01-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Yehosha...a good, qualified gun smith is hard to find. Plenty of folks out there are tinkerers, but few are properly trained and certified. Berge Kirkorian of KFW (works out of but is not employed by Ole Boy Outdoors) IS a trained, certified smith. Attended Lassen College. He is in demand, but turns out great work.

But about places to shoot.......

We start our Ole Boy Outdoors Indoor Shooting League on the 26th of January with the "Ring In The New Year!" shoot. Ought to be a lot of fun. We are going to have a full twelve month schedule this year.

E Pluribus Unum
01-04-2012, 1:24 AM

I have lost a very good shooting spot to locked Forrest Service gates on Greenhorn. The official reason for the closure was "extreme fire hazard" but in reality, it was constant petitioning to the forest service by nearby residents about debris blowing into their properties from the shooting place. "Shooters" would take fridges, TV's, propane tanks, you name it, to the site and blow the crap out of it because "it is public land that the cops can't kick you off of..."

Often it's not the people I show who do that crap... I show a guy... who shows a guy... who brings his kid... and then his kid comes back with his punk friends and does stupid stuff because they think they have a free pass.

My favorite shooting place is an oil and gas lease 7 miles outside Bakersfield. I know this place is bullet proof because I had the oil company call the sheriff on me when I refused to leave. I showed the sheriff deputy the map, told him to call BLM... which he did, and it was all confirmed by BLM... shooting is legal there as long as you don't shoot up equipment. Because I've been "caught" shooting there so many times by the oil company, they know who I am and they don't bother me any more. That is because when I am there, I clean up crap other people have dumped. I often leave the area with a truck bed full of debris because some loser didn't want to drive to the dump.

I have found that if you make people do a little research, they value the spot, and are less likely to abuse it, or tell anyone else about it lest they lose it...

That being said, if you go to the BLM office on Pegasus and buy a BLM map for the Bakersfield area.... I can show you how to read the map... and then I can ride with you to the spot and show you where it is on the promise that you keep it close and personal... only allowing responsible people to know where it is at.... and you might buy me a cheeseburger for my time... :)

You're going to need a BLM map any time you visit the area... it's the only thing that kept me from being issued a citation for trespassing... :) Any time you are shooting on public land, it is a VERY good idea to have a map with you.

kustomkat1950
01-07-2012, 9:11 PM
I know its not Bakersfield, but we have a good long range here in Ridgecrest. Guns4US, Tom's range...nice pistol range, all the way to 1000 yrds...all covered with benches and shooting tables...for $25 a year you cant go wrong. and its a nice drive, Try the fillet migion at Charlies Grill..fantastic!

kustomkat1950
01-07-2012, 9:16 PM
If any one is having trouble with gun stores, just come on down to Jon's Gunworks in Ridgecrest, super nice guy, legit business out of his renovated garage, minimal inventory, but he orders whatever you need with very slight markup, and he is a 2nd amendment kinda guy..cheers, J

USDalum97
01-10-2012, 12:05 PM
I called the BLM office on Pagasus. They said there is no BLM land in or around Bakersfield where it is legal to shoot. He said that doesn't stop people, but the closest legal land is in Sequoia National Forrest. Can anyone else confirm if they have heard this from BLM?

@slabsides: I have a few friends that have gone to Ole Boy to shoot. They said there is a rule about no rapid fire (shots must be spaced at least a second apart). One guy said they kept getting reprimanded over the loud speaker for rapid fire when it was actually two shots from two different lanes. Another guy was telling me that he was practicing what he was taught at his CCW class that was taught at Ole Boy (controlled pair). He was told to stop shooting twice in a row or he would have to leave.

I can understand safety, but what's the deal? Why can't someone practice shooting two shots, re-evaluate, the re-engage? I can also understand not going all "gansta", unloading a magazine while one-handing the gun at a 90 degree angle. Sure, put a stop to that. But if someone wants to safely practice being able to fire multiple rounds into a target, why not?

Thanks

Desert_Rat
01-10-2012, 5:56 PM
Because not all mall ninjas and noobs can control a "pair" and they end up at best shooting the target hangers, floor and walls. At worst they might shoot who knows what else.

I don't know you USDalum97, so I'm not speaking to your skills. Just making broad sweeping generalizations.

thepunisher
01-10-2012, 6:00 PM
Why you gotta call me out lol

jk

Wish I was there now instead of sitting trolling the boards...

USDalum97
01-10-2012, 9:20 PM
Because not all mall ninjas and noobs can control a "pair" and they end up at best shooting the target hangers, floor and walls. At worst they might shoot who knows what else.

I don't know you USDalum97, so I'm not speaking to your skills. Just making broad sweeping generalizations.

No worries, no offense taken.

I understand the generalization, but that's a prerty weak excuse. Plenty of new shooters can't hit the target with a single, well-aimed shot either. I don't know if you work there, but if you do and that is truly the reason at this range, then I won't go there. That reasoning would tell me that they cater to the new shooter (or the moron crowd I described in the last post), rather than an experienced shooter who wants to better their real-world skills.

I want to be able to practice the way I am going to shoot. In a self defense situation, I don't want to wait a second in between 2 shots. I really don't think it is unreasonable.

As a side note, I did go in the other day to look around for the first time. The place was very clean, the employees I interacted with were friendly, and the range looked nice (I like the diamond plating in the range).

Thanks for the reply.

Desert_Rat
01-10-2012, 10:37 PM
I do not work there. But I do happen to know that that range cost them really close to 1 million dollars high/low. If I owned it, I wouldn't want the ceiling shot up or the floor skinned up.

I know their Range Master personally and He's a good one.

If you want to do that kind of shooting, you can look at these places

http://www.facebook.com/groups/taftidpa/ TAFT IDPA at Taft Sportsmens Club in Taft

http://www.facebook.com/groups/244457966449/ 5 Dogs Action Shooters IDPAand USPSA

At these places you will find Master Class shooters all the way down to D class. You will find a place to fit in with either of these clubs or even both clubs, I shoot with both clubs and occasionally shoot with the guys at SLO too.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/SLOSA.IDPA/

Good luck!

Slabsides
01-11-2012, 3:00 PM
Here's the deal US...When dealing with the public, it is impossible to please everybody all of the time. In running the range, I have to deal to the lowest common demonstrator all the time. That means that if I let ONE shooter unload as fast as they can, I have to be prepared to let ALL shooters do the same, and I just can not do that. Desert Rat was right, the range was a HUGE investment,and we want it to last, but more importantly, with all manner of shooters and their families using the range at all times, I am principally looking out for everyone's safety.

As to controlled pairs....what most folks don't understand or care about, is I have a camera on every shooter in the range. And unlike some other ranges around, I watch those cameras. And if I hear what sounds like "fast shooting" I pin point who is doing what before I say a word. A controlled pair with a pause is fine, but when I watch a guy rip em off, he gets called on it. PLUS it is explained to everyone before they use the range that our range is a slow fire range.

We want folks to enjoy our range and use it to shoot their handguns, rifles and shotguns. We just ask that folks respect our rules and other shooters.

Yehosha
01-13-2012, 4:45 PM
Possible Bakersfield Clean Up / Meet n Greet

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=522581

mojavered
01-15-2012, 10:10 PM
First post here....Started looking around the internet because I wanted to shoot on BLM property. Stumbled across this site, can't believe I never saw it before. Grew up in Ridgecrest and the BLM range I have been to for years is always being threatened to get closed down because all of the people that leave all the crap laying around. BLM members are going out there and cleaning up all the trash that is left there....
Been in Bakersfield for the past 14 or so years and have never found a spot that is close to town that I have not been asked to leave. For a long time, I have gone out to the Taft area and shot out there. Very open, but a long drive. The last time I was there, I was at the table and could not believe how much trash was covering the ground out there. Almost like a dump site. Pretty ridiculous that there are those few that ruin it for all! I have found that 5 Dogs is a very nice place to shoot, pretty much anything you want and only a little over 20 miles away from Bakersfield. Getting ready to go to Ole Boys on Thursday with a buddy.
I really wish we had a place like that Tom's Range out in Ridgecrest. Like an earlier poster said, $25/year $100/5 years, no other fees. Covered, give you the combo to the place, go there anytime during daylight hours, perfect!

mojavered
01-19-2012, 10:33 AM
I went to Ole Boys yesterday as a guest, pretty nice place! Shot with a buddy for about 2.5 hours. Well lit, well ventilated, heat blowing on you, and I shot pretty well. Met a gentleman that let me shoot his Kimber (very nice gun) and some of his reloads. Just might have to get me a membership there.

KenV
02-01-2012, 8:04 AM
2nd Amendment isn't a bad place to shoot. It's close if you live in town.

I've burned a lot of powder up behind the fire station in Frazier Park. Great spot. Just please, please, please clean up after yourself and someone else if you can.

Is this area still open? I haven't been there in a few years and have heard conflicting stories about its status.

+1 on cleaning up. We often shoot over tarps to cut the cleanup time, and take a load of brass/hulls/trash out. The trick there is to clean up a bunch before you shoot, so that you don't "look forward" to policing the place after the shooting is over.

pkbirdog
02-01-2012, 4:35 PM
Does anyone do any shooting for the Taft IDPA? They are doing the compitition on feb 18th and I was wanting to go out there and shoot. Do I have to be a member to try it out or sign up ahead of time or can I just show up and shoot?

Thanks,
Paul

Desert_Rat
02-01-2012, 9:48 PM
I do. I'm part of the match staff.

On the 18th we're doing a classifier. You're more than welcome to come shoot it.

IDPA rules say that a shooter is supposed to be an IDPA member after shooting just 1 match...

PM any further questions if you'd like.

If you're on Facebook look at http://www.facebook.com/groups/taftidpa/

tenpercentfirearms
02-09-2012, 7:03 AM
I just found this thread and a couple of things.

#1: Sorry I am not telling people about my secret squirrel spot. There are a couple of reasons. First, the more people that know about it, the more people show up when I want to go there to shoot. Am I selfish? Yes. I like going to my secret squirrel spot and shooting without anyone else to worry about. Second, people like to shoot up the targets that are there and they break.

The nice thing about our secret squirrel spot is if you spend enough money at my gun shop, I will probably take you there someday. I have done that for many customers. It is what it is. Move to Taft and create your own secret squirrel spot if you don't like it.

#2: If you think an indoor range out to run itself a certain way and they don't, good for you for not doing business there. Vote with your wallet. Personally I would never shoot at an indoor range in Kern County unless Craig Powers (www.kernccw.com) was running a CCW class, the range was having some other regularly scheduled match, or Wayne Marden worked there and I wanted to see him. Other than that, I can drive 5 minutes in any direction from where I live and shoot however I want. So if I am going to go to an indoor range with a bunch of other people I have no idea how they behave, I would be glad they had some fairly strict rules, even if I don't like them.

#3: For you regular Kern County types, please join The Taft Sportsmen's Club (www.taftsc.com). For $25 a year you get unlimited access to our private range. The rifle shots are only 175 yards max, but we have four pistol bays and it is a great place to go enjoy an afternoon or day. Plus you will also get our newsletter that keeps you in tune with our IDPA matches (www.taftidpa.com), trap shoots, and soon .22 action shooting matches. We received $40K in Friend of NRA grants this year so the Taft Sportsmen's Club is really putting some effort into our shooting programs for fun for the whole family.

#4: For those of you who go target shooting in the Carrizo Plain, remember there is no target shooting in the Carrizo Plain. You can only hunt there. I didn't realize this either for sometime until the rangers let me know that this Geocache might not be acceptable. Nice place for a picnic or to sight in your rifle (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=65fde8b9-e2b1-4bfe-b19e-e9f60fd95874). So I changed the name to "Nice place for a picnic, no sighting in your rifle". I love the Carrizo Plain! I hope to make a Carrizo run on Monday and maintain some of my Geocaches and generally just wander around heavily armed and enjoy freedom.

Bulldog1862
02-24-2012, 5:29 PM
Range Name: Rankin Field
Address: 20000 Road 140 Tulare ca 93274
Indoor or Outdoor? Outdoor
rifle, pistol and/or trap?: Pistol 3 to 30 yards/ 100 yard long gun
OLL Friendly?: Yes
Rankinfield.org

fredx10sen
03-17-2012, 6:42 PM
5 Dogs for me + being a member of the cowboy range is great too. Great for the Grand kids and a place to have lunch. :)

ufcfan83
04-03-2012, 5:52 PM
5 Dogs for me + being a member of the cowboy range is great too. Great for the Grand kids and a place to have lunch. :)
I agree that 5-Dogs is a great place to bring the family to shoot. Safe, friendly, and comfortable.

I was searching BLM maps and this forum to find a legal place to go shoot on Tuesday Wednesday and Thursdays. I seen the gentleman who posted the directions to the "Tupman Spot" so I headed out there today to find it.
When I got there it did look like a safe location to shoot. Far enough from the main road and also had earthen berms to shoot into. Unfortunately the location is seriously polluted and needs a massive clean up. It does look like it gets used by shooters ALOT... It is anything but a comfortable place. I would not take my wife or daughters out there to shoot. I was looking at the BLM map and there is a small section of BLM land near it but it is not on it.

I am continuing my search for a week day shooting spot. If anyone knows of a good one please PM me.

MixedMotives
04-23-2012, 12:37 AM
I agree that 5-Dogs is a great place to bring the family to shoot. Safe, friendly, and comfortable.

I was searching BLM maps and this forum to find a legal place to go shoot on Tuesday Wednesday and Thursdays. I seen the gentleman who posted the directions to the "Tupman Spot" so I headed out there today to find it.
When I got there it did look like a safe location to shoot. Far enough from the main road and also had earthen berms to shoot into. Unfortunately the location is seriously polluted and needs a massive clean up. It does look like it gets used by shooters ALOT... It is anything but a comfortable place. I would not take my wife or daughters out there to shoot. I was looking at the BLM map and there is a small section of BLM land near it but it is not on it.

I am continuing my search for a week day shooting spot. If anyone knows of a good one please PM me.
why is it not a comfortable place if i may ask? i have never been there

SteveR213
04-27-2012, 8:07 AM
Don't forget the Kern County Gun Club. Only thing is with them, it's strictly a trap/skeet/sporting clays range. Great if you're into it like me. I just wish we had more NSCA style shoots.

RugerNo1
04-27-2012, 4:51 PM
Don't forget the Kern County Gun Club. Only thing is with them, it's strictly a trap/skeet/sporting clays range. Great if you're into it like me. I just wish we had more NSCA style shoots.

Hold that thought for a little while. It may, hopefully, be a possibility soon.

SteveR213
04-27-2012, 7:13 PM
With any luck it will be. I know this weekend Tim Bradley is doing an exhibition shoot.

Slabsides
06-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Holding our first ever GSSF Indoor Match this Sunday, June 10 at Ole Boy Outdoors. We are kindda excited about it.

Check out our schedule for details.

http://www.oleboyoutdoors.net/

offdutyalot
06-07-2012, 9:18 AM
I called the BLM office on Pagasus. They said there is no BLM land in or around Bakersfield where it is legal to shoot. He said that doesn't stop people, but the closest legal land is in Sequoia National Forrest. Can anyone else confirm if they have heard this from BLM?

I talked to a woman at the Field office on Pegasus yesterday. She advised that, with the exception of Carrizzo Plains and any other marked "National Monument", it is legal to shoot on any of the "yellow" spots on the BLM land maps.

Be Advised: From my searching forums and such, BLM sells land and the "yellow" BLM spots on an older map may no longer be public. Finding some of these spots is difficult sometimes. I'm still looking for an piece of public land not too far from NW Bakersfield for my rifle shooting.

For handguns:
OLEBOY OUTDOORS is great. I've been going there about once a week for a couple months. Great people, awesome range, and everything you need to shoot if you want a "one stop" range session (make sure you have a firearm in your possession if you want to rent a gun). And introduce yourself to Slab at the range counter. He's a very cool guy.

MixedMotives
07-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Someone I know said you can shoot somewhere off Breckenridge ..anyone know if this is true

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

AssCommander
08-02-2012, 7:11 PM
New guy here, is there any official word on that spot near the Elk Reserve?

From all the shells and trash it looks pretty damn popular, but is it actually legal?

Also, would there be any problems with firing 7.62x54 rounds south towards the hills?

Yehosha
11-26-2012, 3:32 PM
Someone I know said you can shoot somewhere off Breckenridge ..anyone know if this is true

There is no legal place that I know of to shoot on Breckenridge. It is clearly marked almost everywhere that this is the case. However if you take a dive on that road, there are several obvious places that people do shoot. I would never risk it as your gunshots will be heard from miles away and the chances a LEO shows up are pretty good. That being said I have gone out by myself test fired a dozen or so rounds on a shotgun, quickly packed up and headed home. Every time I've done it I've gotten the attention of ranchers, so if you're gonna be there more than a few minutes, don't risk it.

Yehosha
11-26-2012, 3:38 PM

From all the shells and trash it looks pretty damn popular, but is it actually legal?

Also, would there be any problems with firing 7.62x54 rounds south towards the hills?
Just got off the phone with the BLM and the lady told me there are places in Taft, Lake Isabella, and a few other places it is allowed, but nowhere on the Carrizo Plain is it legal because it is a national monument.

For $4 you can buy a map from the BLM office at 3801 Pegasus Dr that shows all legal locations to shoot. I don't have one or I'd post a copy, but as soon as I get one I'll post a copy for everyone to see, so there will be no debate on where it is/isn't legal to shoot on BLM land.

tcrpe
11-30-2012, 10:09 PM

Guess it depends on where. If your anywhere near Comanche, Ron'll call the Sheriff. If you're on Comanche, I'll call the sheriff. Sorry.

tcrpe
11-30-2012, 10:11 PM
There is no legal place that I know of to shoot on Breckenridge. It is clearly marked almost everywhere that this is the case. However if you take a dive on that road, there are several obvious places that people do shoot. I would never risk it as your gunshots will be heard from miles away and the chances a LEO shows up are pretty good. That being said I have gone out by myself test fired a dozen or so rounds on a shotgun, quickly packed up and headed home. Every time I've done it I've gotten the attention of ranchers, so if you're gonna be there more than a few minutes, don't risk it.

Um, it's private property, you shouldn't be shooting there in the first place.

Go out to 5 Dogs, please.

bako88fan
12-25-2012, 1:17 AM

I've been out there a couple of times over and across the "al Qaeda" bridge. It is perfectly safe to shoot there. The group I go with takes out rakes and does an area cleanup. We need to organize and see others do this more often before we lose the place.

I've shot 7.62x54r rounds towards the southern hills (targets, of course) and had a great time. Hope to see you out there. We are going Friday morning.

sjd78
01-11-2013, 10:02 PM
I've been out there a couple of times over and across the "al Qaeda" bridge. It is perfectly safe to shoot there. The group I go with takes out rakes and does an area cleanup. We need to organize and see others do this more often before we lose the place.

I've shot 7.62x54r rounds towards the southern hills (targets, of course) and had a great time. Hope to see you out there. We are going Friday morning.

Interested in this location. Willing to share?

bako88fan
01-12-2013, 12:04 AM
Well since you asked 5 times... Lol

Head out west from Bakersfield on Taft Hwy. Turn right on Tupman Road and head north. Go through the town of Tupman. Head about 2 miles north. You'll see a large yellow pole in an upside L shape. It's next to a Creek. Head west on the dirt road following it along the Creek. Once you see the bridge, cross it and you're there. Hope to see you out there.

Yehosha
01-23-2013, 1:47 AM

Head out west from Bakersfield on Taft Hwy. Turn right on Tupman Road and head north. Go through the town of Tupman. Head about 2 miles north. You'll see a large yellow pole in an upside L shape. It's next to a Creek. Head west on the dirt road following it along the Creek. Once you see the bridge, cross it and you're there. Hope to see you out there.

Ok so I'm looking at the map I got from BLM today and there is nowhere anywhere near the location described that is legal to shoot, so it appears it's yet another place where people do shoot, that they're not supposed to.

Yehosha
01-23-2013, 2:02 AM
So as promised here's a pic of each map. Click the the thumbnail to get the full size image. I only bought the Taft area map, because I don't need the others, but I took a pic on my phone of the smaller maps of each area surrounding Bakersfield that they have available for viewing in the BLM office.

All Yellow areas are BLM land, and I was told that any yellow area that is easily accessible by paved public roads is ok to shoot on. Note that all areas in the Carrizo Plain are off-limits since it is a national monument.

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp342/drizzt94/th_DelanoBLM.jpg (http://s426.photobucket.com/albums/pp342/drizzt94/?action=view&current=DelanoBLM.jpg)

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp342/drizzt94/th_LakeIsabellaBLM.jpg (http://s426.photobucket.com/albums/pp342/drizzt94/?action=view&current=LakeIsabellaBLM.jpg)

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp342/drizzt94/th_TehachapiBLM.jpg (http://s426.photobucket.com/albums/pp342/drizzt94/?action=view&current=TehachapiBLM.jpg)

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp342/drizzt94/th_TaftBLM.jpg (http://s426.photobucket.com/albums/pp342/drizzt94/?action=view&current=TaftBLM.jpg)

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp342/drizzt94/th_BakersfieldBLM2.jpg (http://s426.photobucket.com/albums/pp342/drizzt94/?action=view&current=BakersfieldBLM2.jpg)

bako88fan
01-24-2013, 11:51 PM
Thanks for providing the maps. The place I mentioned doesnt appear to be on the carrizo and it is at the Northernmost tip of BLM property. The northern edge is bordered by private farmland.

Yehosha
01-25-2013, 4:31 PM
Thanks for providing the maps. The place I mentioned doesnt appear to be on the carrizo and it is at the Northernmost tip of BLM property. The northern edge is bordered by private farmland.

Either you are really bad at directions, or you are nowhere near BLM land. As I stated above the YELLOW areas are BLM land, and the spot you gave directions to is not even close to BLM land.

sjd78
01-28-2013, 7:54 AM

Sorry buddy, I don't know what the heck happened. Seems there have been a lot of multiple posts lately. Thanks for the directions though, much appreciated! :)

sjd78
01-28-2013, 8:04 AM
Anyone else have any secret squirrel shooting spots they are willing to share?

sjd78
02-04-2013, 8:06 PM

Well I took a ride out to this spot today. Boy is that place thrashed! Unfortunately it's not quite what I had in mind. I'm going to keep looking and see if I can find a spot that is better taken care of.

bako88fan
02-04-2013, 9:28 PM
I tried organizing a cleanup through here but no one showed any interest. I cleaned up quite a bit Saturday out there. Problem is, there are a large group of dirt bags who can't clean up after themselves. I can't imagine what their homes look like.

I know another spot too. Opposite side of the valley. If you're interested, I will PM. It is a secret spot and very few know about it. Always clean, too.

sjd78
02-05-2013, 7:13 AM
I tried organizing a cleanup through here but no one showed any interest. I cleaned up quite a bit Saturday out there. Problem is, there are a large group of dirt bags who can't clean up after themselves. I can't imagine what their homes look like.

I know another spot too. Opposite side of the valley. If you're interested, I will PM. It is a secret spot and very few know about it. Always clean, too.

PM sent!

bomb_on_bus
03-15-2013, 8:51 PM

Been out to that area a couple of times. Its a hell of a drive to get to there from where I am but its been fun the couple times I went.

There used to be a shooting spot southwest of Buttonwillow off the 58 just beyond the aqueduct. It was fenced off by Chevron a few years back did you ever make it out there?

thepunisher
03-15-2013, 10:28 PM
I'm taking my brother out there tomorrow, I will see about taking some bags, rakes and shovels.

There where a lot of gunners out there, and I swear someone had a freakin cannon.

asm_
04-13-2013, 1:13 AM
tagged