PDA

View Full Version : Got a lathe? Need some work? I need help!

Z ME FLY
04-04-2010, 5:12 AM
DONE!

If you want to lathe a fake can that is an option. Let me know! Need one about 10 inches for an ak 47

VictorFranko
04-04-2010, 6:00 AM
I am looking for some good cheap work if that is possible.

Now this is just in fun, sort of, but being a lifelong general machinist / tool and die maker, it has ALWAYS amazed me that people expect a skilled machinist to work for little or no profit.
And the people doing the asking are usually WAY overpaid in their own professions.
Friends also think nothing of asking "Can you make this for me?" That means for free of course. They just don't realize the time involved in these "simple projects."
My last project for a buddy was a couple custom clamps for a Harley Davidson windshield. Design, manufacture, polishing, hardware and material. Took me total about 4.5 hours.
He bought me a $7 margarita.
I bet if I told my friend he could come and do 4.5 hours of housework or 4.5 hours of yard work, he would say "never mind."

Rant off.

Z ME FLY
04-04-2010, 6:09 AM
Now this is just in fun, sort of, but being a lifelong general machinist / tool and die maker, it has ALWAYS amazed me that people expect a skilled machinist to work for little or no profit.
And the people doing the asking are usually WAY overpaid in their own professions.
Friends also think nothing of asking "Can you make this for me?" That means for free of course. They just don't realize the time involved in these "simple projects."
My last project for a buddy was a couple custom clamps for a Harley Davidson windshield. Design, manufacture, polishing, hardware and material. Took me total about 4.5 hours.
I bet if I told my friend he could come and do 4.5 hours of housework or 4.5 hours of yard work, he would say "never mind."

Rant off.

Wow maybe instead of crapping on my thread you could keep that to yourself. If you would have PMed me instead of ****thing on my thread you would have known how much I would have paid.

Also there are people on the ak forums who are professional lifelong machinists that would do this if they were local for a 6 pack.

G38xOC
04-04-2010, 6:59 AM
thought you needed ur rotors cut on ur car or something ...

good luck on ur project

VictorFranko
04-04-2010, 8:14 AM
To the OP:
I guess you missed the beginning of my post: "NOW THIS IS JUST IN FUN".
I didn't cr*p on your thread. I didn't say YOU were cheap, YOU admitted that yourself when you advertised for "cheap work" and then added "if you are going to charge a good amount per barrel, I will pass and send it to restorit1 instead".
Since you were offended by my post, I would have happily deleted it, but after reading the rude, foul-language filled PM you sent me, you can forget that!

Rob454
04-06-2010, 7:06 PM

WOW. All that huh? Hey i need some stuff made and Ill give you 5$ CASH. You work cheap my friend. JK

psssniper
04-06-2010, 10:50 PM
BTW, if you are going to charge a good amount per barrel, I will pass and send it to restorit1 instead

it has ALWAYS amazed me that people expect a skilled machinist to work for little or no profit.

I think what the original poster is saying here is that there is a known entity (restorit1) doing the type of work that the Op needs, for a price that is fair. If anyone local could do the same work for the same price or less then he would give them the business. restorit1 does great work at a fair price, that is a known fact.

VictorFranko I know exactly how you feel. I am a contractor and get asked to "help out" on peoples projects or to loan them my tools or truck all the time. People amaze me sometimes.

Z ME FLY
04-07-2010, 12:39 AM
To the OP:
I guess you missed the beginning of my post: "NOW THIS IS JUST IN FUN".
I didn't cr*p on your thread. I didn't say YOU were cheap, YOU admitted that yourself when you advertised for "cheap work" and then added "if you are going to charge a good amount per barrel, I will pass and send it to restorit1 instead".
Since you were offended by my post, I would have happily deleted it, but after reading the rude, foul-language filled PM you sent me, you can forget that!

I have gotten offers on different aks forums that IF I was local... guess what they would charge me? 1/5 of jack and a six pack.

RANGER295
04-08-2010, 5:29 PM
I...

VictorFranko I know exactly how you feel. I am a contractor and get asked to "help out" on peoples projects or to loan them my tools or truck all the time. People amaze me sometimes.

+1 I am an ag mechanics teacher and (recently expired certified) welder and all around jack of all trades when it comes to working with my hands. I have a good deal of equipment too. It seems like people are always asking favors. The other day my neighbor was trying to change the starter in his truck. The dealer wanted $750 so he decided to do it himself and came over asking to borrow some sockets which led to me “helping” him do (‘cough’ me doing) the job. Including driving him in my truck to get a different starter because he had gotten the wrong one. He offered me $20 after the fact for what took about 3 hours. It would have been way faster if he had stayed out of my way (and had the right part to begin with).

By and large I don’t mind helping my good friends. I have a lot of friends that help me with things when I need it and I help them back. We just exchange favors and don’t keep track. That is part of being a real friend. I have helped Calgunners before and have been helped by them too. I like to do things for fellow Calgunners when I can and usually just ask that they cover any costs and they pass the favor along and help someone else when they need it. I don’t have access to a lathe right now so I can help the OP. Sorry for the ranting.

GMG
04-08-2010, 6:46 PM
I have gotten offers on different aks forums that IF I was local... guess what they would charge me? 1/5 of jack and a six pack.

If it were me I would look into that deal!:rolleyes:

Z ME FLY
04-08-2010, 8:12 PM
DONE!

If you want to lathe a fake can that is an option. Let me know! Need one about 10 inches for an ak 47

LIKE I SAID DONE!

KEEP YOUR COMMENTS TO YOURSELF