PDA

View Full Version : can i actually shoot my AR AW at a range??

subroutine
02-15-2006, 10:44 AM
when the AR's become AW's, will ranges allow you to shoot them there???

.....side note, what does it cost to regester your AR as an AW w/ the DOJ?

50 Freak
02-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Sure, I shoot my registered AK and AR's at both public and private ranges all the time.

grammaton76
02-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Ranges that'll kick you out for having a registered AW are the exception, not the rule.

Heck, sometimes it seems like ranges that care if it's legal at all are the exception...

xrMike
02-15-2006, 11:19 AM
At the range I frequent in the Monterey area, the woman who runs the place told me that unless somebody's acting stupid or dangerous, she assumes anyone with an AR is registered and legal, and so she never asks about it.

C.G.
02-15-2006, 12:03 PM
At the range I frequent in the Monterey area, the woman who runs the place told me that unless somebody's acting stupid or dangerous, she assumes anyone with an AR is registered and legal, and so she never asks about it.

Yeah, she is an excellent range master!:)

-hanko
02-15-2006, 12:34 PM
when the AR's become AW's, will ranges allow you to shoot them there???
They already are "AW's", and ranges will let you shoot 'em. Coyote Point south of SFO may want to check your papers...avoid.

-hanko

elmo
02-15-2006, 12:39 PM
They already are "AW's", and ranges will let you shoot 'em. Coyote Point south of SFO may want to check your papers...avoid.

-hanko

adding to the above, this is b/c they are there from the sherrifs office.

antarius
02-15-2006, 1:15 PM

-hanko
Why avoid? You have a legal fixed magazine self loading .223 rifle... nothing wrong with it.

I understand that it might be a pain to explain the situation to them, but if you printed out your DROS registration, PC 12276.1, PC 12276, and the DOJ's current letter, you'd probably be able to make it pretty clear to them that you're within' the law.

I'm not saying that's the best route if you want to go shoot, because it is a pain in the ***; But really, why run and hide? They're legal, we should act like it.

bu-bye
02-15-2006, 4:52 PM

That would be Vera. She is a doll for sure and not a bad shot either. She is a member of our club and shoots in the pistol matches.

If you are over 18 and following the rules nobody will say anything other then "nice rifle". Most shooter are on the same side as us.

50 Freak
02-15-2006, 5:05 PM

Problem with Coyote Point is they have no set rules. I think they base their rules on what you look like.

I've been there twice and the first time, I was told no flash-hiders, muzzle brakes okay. Let me see your papers.

Second time, I was told no Flash hiders, no muzzle brakes. Let me see your papers.

Screw that.

caliar15
02-15-2006, 5:10 PM
That would be Vera. She is a doll for sure and not a bad shot either. She is a member of our club and shoots in the pistol matches.

If you are over 18 and following the rules nobody will say anything other then "nice rifle". Most shooter are on the same side as us.
I remember when she couldn't hit the broadside of a barn;) , just goes to show how important practice is as she has become a really good shooter.

C.G.
02-15-2006, 6:21 PM
I remember when she couldn't hit the broadside of a barn;) , just goes to show how important practice is as she has become a really good shooter.

She shoots a handgun a lot better than me.

Army
02-15-2006, 6:30 PM
C'mon down to SLOSA. We don't care what the heck you want to shoot. We accomodate from .50 down to one members .10 literal mouse gun!

It's just the cutest thing. Miniature Mauser action. The cases are necked down .25ACP. Don't know the speed, but it seems very .22 magnum like.

We have even allowed bowling ball mortars. Another member brings his 1" mini deck gun and fires salute loads just for the noise of it.

bu-bye
02-15-2006, 10:54 PM
You mean the one on Blanca in Watsonville, right?

No, Laguna Seca. Markleys is on Blanca in Wats

xrMike
02-16-2006, 10:18 AM
>>Yeah, she is an excellent range master!

Yes, she's a sweetheart. A few months ago she spent 10-15 minutes out of her day, watching me shoot, so she could sign off my CMP form and I could order my Garand. She could've said, "No, I'm really busy" (it was a very busy Saturday afternoon) but she didn't... That reminds me, I should bring her some cookies or flowers or something next time I go...

>>That would be Vera. She is a doll for sure and not a bad shot either.
>>She is a member of our club and shoots in the pistol matches.

Cool, I didn't know she could shoot too. I also know her husband, Bill. He's a great guy also. He did some work on my 1911 -- new barrel, trigger, hammer, beavertail. Turned out very nice.

>>You mean the one on Blanca in Watsonville, right?

No, like bu-bye said, I was talking about Laguna Seca. I love that place! Especially since they put the reactive steel targets in on the pistol side. I don't even shoot paper with my pistol anymore.

I notice that I go through a lot more ammo now though... Heheh. Something about missing a steel plate, you just have to keep shooting at the darn thing 'til you hit it...

xrMike
02-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Forgot to say... After starting DROS on my self-loading receiver yesterday, I can't stop smiling and thinking about the near-future, when I'll be bouncing .223's off those big steel plates they've got hanging out there at 300 yards... :D