PDA

View Full Version : Opinion of Mueller or Swift scopes?

joel1316
02-15-2006, 8:58 AM
I'm thinking of getting a Mueller scope:
Mueller 8.5-25x44AO Tactical™
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/joel1316/MT852544.jpg
It goes for about $150.

Another scope that I am interested in is a Swift:
Swift Model 669, 6-18X44
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/joel1316/S669M3.gif
Goes for about $190.

Anyone have any personal experience with either scope? Any opinion about the overall reputation of the manufacturers would be appreciated also.

Thanks!

bu-bye
02-15-2006, 9:27 AM
I was looking at buying a Mueller about a year ago. A trusted friend at my local shop did not have many good things to say about them. He did not say anything bad about them but said its just not a scope you buy and go WOW. He said it gets the job done but just isn't as nice as many other scope out there. To put it in perspective, he suggest I buy a Tasco over the Mueller. He said i would save a few bucks and not miss anything that the Mueller has.

For $299 you can get a Super Sniper which is a GREAT scope for the money with quality that you only see in $800-$1000 scopes.

joel1316
02-15-2006, 9:49 AM
I've been contemplating a Super Sniper also, but was looking for more power and adjustability (more magnification) for possible varmint shooting. I'm under the impression that I would be at a disadvantage with a 10X scope shooting at 6" squirrels at 100-200+ yards away.

NwG
02-15-2006, 3:03 PM
I have a Swift scope.. They are cheap and some people don't like them.. I have neve had any problems with mine at all. The crosshairs are etched on the glass vs a wire. The glass is very clear and bright.

I do want to try the super sniper tho... I am thinking it would be nice for my M1-a

maxicon
02-15-2006, 8:55 PM
I have a Mueller 4-16x50 AO Sportsdot that I got used over at rimfirecentral. Unfortunately, I haven't taken it out yet, since I forgot my whole bag of scopes the last time I went to the range :o .

I have mounted it up on a few rifles and played around with it, and here's my take on it:

- It seems fine for an inexpensive scope. It's not as clear and bright as my Leupold VXIs and VXIIs, but it's a good bit less expensive, too.

- The red dot isn't very bright on mine with new batteries (the power was on when it arrived in the mail). I don't know if this is typical, since it's the only one I've tried, but it feels more like a low-light crosshair locater than an actual red dot. That is, as things start getting dim, it's pretty visible, but when the light's bright and the crosshairs are clear, it's not very strong. Anyone else who has one can clarify if this is usual for them.

I'm hoping to take it out over the next week or so and get some real stick time on it, so take all that with a grain of salt.

max

Pablo
02-15-2006, 11:20 PM
Are you planning on getting this scope for the hunting trip? If so I have a cheapo 4-12X50 illuminated reticle scope that I can let you use if you want.
Let me know... ;)

joel1316
02-16-2006, 5:27 AM
The model I'm thinking of getting does not have a red dot included, so hopefully if I do decide on it, that's one thing I won't have to deal with :) For its price, I'm just hoping that its decently bright and clear.

Pablo - the scope is for a new project, I've got the hunting rig all set to go :)
I do appreciate the offer!

capitol
02-16-2006, 7:56 AM
I own two Mueller scopes and really like them both. The Eraticator sits on top of my VQ 17HMR. Its clear and bright up to about 20x power. In my opinion there isnt a better scope with that type of magnification for $225
My other Mueller is the 3x10x44 Sport Dot. I will mount this scope on a .50 Beowulf just to see if I can break it :)
I own Leupolds that cost four times my Mueller Eraticator scope and trust me they're not 4 times better.

joel1316
02-16-2006, 9:32 AM
Thanks Mark! I think I might just give the Mueller a try. My credit card says that I need to wait until next month to make my decision ;)