PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to get the new .416 Barrett?

shooterx10
02-15-2006, 8:23 AM
I'll let the rest of you to say "stick it up to the anti's..." :rolleyes:

Anyhow here is the ad for the new .416 Barrett based on the M99 platform.

http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/images/uploads/barrett99-416.jpg

If Barrett sells it as a package deal as they had done with their Model 99 .50BMG model, with a bipod, scope, case, etc., GET ONE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone saw this at Shot Show 2006? A friend of mine did and he said the ballistics were incredible. The round stays supersonic at 1.3 miles!

bodyarmorguy27
02-15-2006, 8:27 AM
I saw it at SHOT and was very impressed. It's a bad a#& gun. Its the same cost as the 50 cal version.

I'm just wondering how much the ammo will cost.

tenpercentfirearms
02-15-2006, 8:31 AM
Hmmm. Could it be construed that Barrett is trying to target politicians living in Sacramento as receipients of .416 rounds? I mean look at the map, has a star right on Sacramento. Very interesting.

shopkeep
02-15-2006, 8:31 AM
I'm actually one of the few guys who didn't buy a .50 or even a lower to reg as a .50 before the ban and I still don't regret it. The cost is just too high... both in terms of parts and ammunition. Large bore guns are very exotic (due to their limited market) and are basically the Ferrari and Lamborghini of the rifle world.

The way I see it, by the time I've purchased a 99-416 along with a scope worthy of it and a bi-pod I will have spent close to $5000! For $5000 I can afford to build up almost all 8 of my lowers into rifles. The cost is just too high for me to get interested in these types of firearms.

I'm almost certain they'll be banning .416 Barret and .510 DC just like they added on SB-23 in 1999 to the AW ban. So if these rifles are something you're interested in you should move quickly. The PRK is no doubt in utter shock of these big bore rifles continuing to enter the state in addition to the flood of "Assault Weapons" now pouring in.

shopkeep
02-15-2006, 8:33 AM
Hmmm. Could it be construed that Barrett is trying to target politicians living in Sacramento as receipients of .416 rounds? I mean look at the map, has a star right on Sacramento. Very interesting.

What's even more interesting is that when you see the actual add in color the star in Sacramento is RED. This ad was definitely designed specifically to send a message to politicians in Sacramento.

TonyM
02-15-2006, 8:39 AM
I was very hot to buy one when it was first announced. I didn't get a BMG, mostly because I was of the mind that I wouldn't shoot it much. Then, after the ban I felt a little disappointed that I passed on one, so when the news of the .416 came out I was all over it.

Now I'm back in the mode of "How often will I really shoot it?". My guess is "Not Much", so I'm going to take the $7500 or so I would invest into it, bipod, scope, brass, dies, and everything else and buy some more handguns and the new Beretta .223 when it makes it to an FFL near by.

TonyM
02-15-2006, 8:48 AM
Oh, about the map, I know it has a great effectin this case, but that's an old standard to show the capital of a state... Likely just an old map image from stock that their advertising agency owns.

http://www.50states.com/maps/california.gif
http://www.50states.com/maps/nevada.gif

PanzerAce
02-15-2006, 9:05 AM
Well, i would just like to say that while I would not shoot it very often given my current finances, I would still get one of these, just to slap the politicos in the face.

Jeff Rambo
02-15-2006, 9:12 AM
As much as I would like one of these, unfortunately for me the meaning of a .416 Group Buy would have to imply me and a bunch of friends pitching in $400-$500. :D

SirMikeAlot
02-15-2006, 9:19 AM
Well, i would just like to say that while I would not shoot it very often given my current finances, I would still get one of these, just to slap the politicos in the face.

I too would like to slap them in the face. But I think it is better to slap em with multiple ar15 and ak lowers. :D Just my 2cents. Having said that, I wish I could afford a .416 just to spite em. As Rambo said . . .

As much as I would like one of these, unfortunately for me the meaning of a .416 Group Buy would have to imply me and a bunch of friends pitching in $400-$500. :D

:( me too.

s u b k 0 r
02-15-2006, 9:20 AM
As much as I would like one of these, unfortunately for me the meaning of a .416 Group Buy would have to imply me and a bunch of friends pitching in $400-$500.

Big bore time share :D

As much as I'd love to own one for the "stickin it to the antis" factor and I don't know how often I'd shoot it. I'd rather divert the funds to current and forthcoming legal fights ...

hrlrdr22
02-15-2006, 9:21 AM
What is the cost on the .416 ammo....got to be pretty expensive....and who is going to stock that size?

TonyM
02-15-2006, 9:26 AM
What is the cost on the .416 ammo....got to be pretty expensive....and who is going to stock that size?

Unknown at this time. It's a Barret custom round, so you would most likely need to invest in reloading equipment when dies become available.

joel1316
02-15-2006, 9:54 AM
Did Barret release an actual price yet?

hrlrdr22
02-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Did Barret release an actual price yet?

I saw a price on one of the online sited for about 3700 bucks...

http://www.thegunsource.com/shopping...dproduct=56184

C.G.
02-15-2006, 10:02 AM
If I were to get into a big gun I think I would go with .408 Chey-Tac. It has been around longer and more re-loading stuff is available for it, even ammo albeit expensive.

grammaton76
02-15-2006, 10:06 AM
I'm likewise going to hold off. If I had that kind of money to throw around I'd rather buy one of those nifty Cobb receivers from Pirate14, and have a rifle I'd actually shoot...

xenophobe
02-15-2006, 10:14 AM
If I were to get into a big gun I think I would go with .408 Chey-Tac. It has been around longer and more re-loading stuff is available for it, even ammo albeit expensive.

Absolutely, it's also in use by Marine snipers and it has confirmed kills out past 2200m in Iraq.

PanzerAce
02-15-2006, 10:18 AM
Can someone give a link for some good info on the .408? I keep hearing about it but never seen any real information.

hrlrdr22
02-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Can someone give a link for some good info on the .408? I keep hearing about it but never seen any real information.

try this i was searching to...
http://www.cheytac.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=3

shooterx10
02-15-2006, 10:22 AM
If you want to get the alternative .510DTC Europ caliber, Serbu and EDM Arms has them for sale:

http://www.serbu.com/wpSGNad1101.jpg

I spoke to reps from Spider, Safety Harbor, and Advanced Long Range Systems and all of them have stated that they will (or now) have the .510 DTC upper conversion available for your off-list AR lowers! So, you won't have to purchase another firearm outright and save money for ammo!

hrlrdr22
02-15-2006, 10:24 AM
If you want to get the alternative .510DTC Europ caliber, Serbu and EDM Arms has them for sale:

http://www.serbu.com/wpSGNad1101.jpg

I spoke to reps from Spider, Safety Harbor, and Advanced Long Range Systems and all of them have stated that they will (or now) have the .510 DTC upper conversion available for your off-list AR lowers! So, you won't have to purchase another firearm outright and save money for ammo!

How Much??????????

shooterx10
02-15-2006, 10:29 AM
Here are the links:

Safety Harbor Firearms: www.safetyharborfirearms.com
Advanced Long Range Systems: www.50bmg.net
Spider Firearms: www.ferret50.com

I have personally seen the ALS upper and it is a very high quality upper. As you can see from the pics:

http://www.50bmg.net/images/G003.JPG

mblat
02-15-2006, 11:16 AM
If I had so much free money I rather invest it into gathering RKBA petitions.... However pessimistic I may be about chances of it even getting on the ballot let alone wining I still invest considerable time gathering signatures...

If we manage to get it on the ballot and it will have decent showing that will have bigger effect as far as sticking it to Sacramento than me buying rifle I have no practical use for....

By the way - has anybody tried to contact Barret to get some money to hire signature gatherers?

Fjold
02-15-2006, 12:20 PM

Would it have been more appropriate to have a bullseye instead?

elsolo
02-15-2006, 12:23 PM
If you get any big bore rifle, you will need to load your own for it.

Keeping that in mind:
.50BMG : cheap and available components
.50DTC : cheap and available components, need to wildcat the brass
.50spotter: cheap and available componts, lower velocity
.408ct : more expensive components, limited choices

.416 barrett: you have one choice for powder, one choice for long range target bullets, and one choice for brass (unless you allready do multi-stage shortening and reforming)

If I were to buy another fifty: I would much rather fireform the nearly endless supply of cheap .50BMG brass, be able to use the multitude of .510 bullets out there, and be able to use the cheap and available powders; rather than make a several thousand dollar bet on pricing and availability of components for a chambering that might just be a short term fad, with limited choices for components, and higher prices for those components.

C.G.
02-15-2006, 12:56 PM
If you get any big bore rifle, you will need to load your own for it.

Keeping that in mind:
.50BMG : cheap and available components
.50DTC : cheap and available components, need to wildcat the brass
.50spotter: cheap and available componts, lower velocity
.408ct : more expensive components, limited choices

.416 barrett: you have one choice for powder, one choice for long range target bullets, and one choice for brass (unless you allready do multi-stage shortening and reforming)

If I were to buy another fifty: I would much rather fireform the nearly endless supply of cheap .50BMG brass, be able to use the multitude of .510 bullets out there, and be able to use the cheap and available powders; rather than make a several thousand dollar bet on pricing and availability of components for a chambering that might just be a short term fad, with limited choices for components, and higher prices for those components.

Good overview, plus the .510 DTC is now accepted in .50 matches.

82a1
02-15-2006, 9:09 PM
For anyone interested in the new Barrett .416, I'd suggest checking out the latest issue of Tactical Weapons. It's an awesome magazine with many articles of different kinds of Barrett rifles - including a detailed one of the .416.

Shoot-it
02-15-2006, 10:39 PM
as for the big bore bans what is a big bore? they could just continue the banning 416,375,30 cals then they could go after our 7mm 270 es.I hope this big bore banning issue will stop soon . I dont know why they even banned the .50 I dont think that many californians have them anyway.

Justang
02-15-2006, 11:19 PM
Can you just buy the receiver and build it up? That would save a lot of us money. Or does it being built on the M99 platform cause issues with that?

C.G.
02-15-2006, 11:43 PM
Can you just buy the receiver and build it up? That would save a lot of us money. Or does it being built on the M99 platform cause issues with that?
You could, but the action will run at least $1200 and I've seen it as high as $3000.

originally posted by Shoot-it (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=5369)

as for the big bore bans what is a big bore? they could just continue the banning 416,375,30 cals then they could go after our 7mm 270 es.I hope this big bore banning issue will stop soon . I dont know why they even banned the .50 I dont think that many californians have them anyway.

You are correct; the anti-gunners will start with the .50s figuring they can expand that to any gun eventually. One of the reasons they banned the .50s as that allegedly it can shoot down an airplane (yeah, right:rolleyes: ) and it is too big for hunting; the media helped them out a lot.

m98
02-16-2006, 12:16 AM
You could, but the action will run at least $1200 and I've seen it as high as $3000.

You are correct; the anti-gunners will start with the .50s figuring they can expand that to any gun eventually. One of the reasons they banned the .50s as that allegedly it can shoot down an airplane (yeah, right:rolleyes: ) and it is too big for hunting; the media helped them out a lot.

I would say one of the reason's why these ridiculous laws are passed so easily is because the PRK is full of soccer moms&grannies who's got no interest in the shooting/hunting/outdoorsports. they only experience what they see on rEaL tV and whatever the media throws at them.