PDA

View Full Version : 4/3/10 hunting update. One rattlesnake down!

Big Jake
04-03-2010, 3:42 PM
So I headed out this morning to Mojave. Arrived on first stand around 0700 hours. Hit the rabbit distress call on the new Foxpro. Nothing! Second stand nothing! I left the Mojave area and headed up I-14 just before Jawbone Canyon. Went up one of the utility roads and hit several more stands. Still nothing. It was a horribly windy day and I did not even call in a mouse!

As I was walking back to my truck from my last stand around 1400 hours I came across a two foot or so Diamondback. He had just taken out a field mouse and when he saw me he let go of the mouse and coiled up. I was about fifteen feet from him. I watched him a while and pondered if I should let him be and go on my way. Unfortunately for him the hunter in me got the best of me so I put two rounds in him with my Mini .14!

Notice that there is a before and after picture! He was a bit less threatening in the after picture so I got a bit closer. Very brave of me don't you think? :rolleyes: Oh well, the day was not a total loss. A bad day hunting is better than a good day working! ;)

center_x
04-03-2010, 4:42 PM
Nice.....you should start a carnage thread on snake killls

bluestaterebel
04-03-2010, 5:15 PM
I'm more impressed with the before photo!

Big Jake
04-03-2010, 5:16 PM
I wish PCH was with me as he makes jerky out of anything that was alive. LOL!

Henry Shooter
04-03-2010, 5:54 PM
Thats rude, You interupted his breakfast....... would have made a nice skin for the loading room...........

Big Jake
04-03-2010, 6:14 PM
Thats rude, You interupted his breakfast....... would have made a nice skin for the loading room...........

I walked up on him kind of sudden like... I usually have a keen eye for snakes, however, I was not expecting one to be out this early in the year as it was still pretty cold!

His mistake I guess!:rolleyes:

gigahertz
04-03-2010, 6:37 PM
It will probably be better if stir fried! :D

I wish PCH was with me as he makes jerky out of anything that was alive. LOL!

Big Jake
04-03-2010, 6:50 PM
It will probably be better if stir fried! :D

:puke:

gigahertz
04-03-2010, 7:01 PM
but they say that snakes taste like chicken so stir fry should be good. :):puke:

theseacow
04-04-2010, 4:11 PM
did u measure that spawn of satan?

Big Jake
04-04-2010, 5:01 PM
did u measure that spawn of satan?

I did not, however, I am guessing he was around two feet or so in length with pleanty of attitude to spare!

theseacow
04-04-2010, 7:11 PM
I did not, however, I am guessing he was around two feet or so in length with pleanty of attitude to spare!

good action pic. man, i hate those things.

rcschummers
04-05-2010, 10:33 AM
I don't want to be the whistle blower, but I'm calling peta....I'm sure they will be as jealous of your kill as I am.:biggrinjester:

hnoppenberger
04-05-2010, 11:18 AM
im all for killing stuff but man, did ya have to mutilate it, it woulda been a rad skin. i wish i could find one sometime.

Deluhathol
04-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Head up to the bay area. they are all over the place, especially where i go for rattlers. Cant shoot there though.

empty
04-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Nice pics, sorry you were skunked for the rest of your hunt.

Motz
04-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Man you are lucky you did not spend the night out there. It was COLD with that wind! My father and I went out that same day and once the sun set it was bitter cold. But we fared even worse than you, not even a snake.

Timberwolf
04-05-2010, 11:56 AM
From the snake's tint in the 1st pic couple with your comment that he had attitude I believe you may have found a "green". Guess its time to start watching where I step but swore its been too chilly for then.

professionalcoyotehunter
04-05-2010, 11:58 AM
I have seen 3 in the last week on the roads but all the cars won.

snakes are good eating.

mif_slim
04-05-2010, 12:13 PM

snakes are good eating.

I saw one latch on to a car's tire. It almost won, until the tire did a full 360 turn when its head was under. It tapped out immediately. lol

OP: True, a bad day of hunting is better then a good day at work! :D:cheers2:

Renowilly
04-05-2010, 2:58 PM
Head up to the bay area. they are all over the place, especially where i go for rattlers. Cant shoot there though.

Where are you going? I'm in the Bay area too, and haven't seen one for a couple years in the hills around here. Maybe I'm not going in far enough...

Bearclaw
04-05-2010, 4:02 PM

snakes are good eating.

They taste pretty good, but I just cant figure out how to deal with all those stupid little bones. I can never seem to get rid of em all and then I end up chewing on them....no fun.

pieeater
04-05-2010, 4:18 PM
I only eat the bigger ones you should be able to either peel it off the bones or eat it off pretty easy.

Big Jake
04-05-2010, 5:16 PM
I don't want to be the whistle blower, but I'm calling peta....I'm sure they will be as jealous of your kill as I am.:biggrinjester:

PETA= People Eating Tasty Animals! :eek:

Deluhathol
04-06-2010, 7:21 AM
Where are you going? I'm in the Bay area too, and haven't seen one for a couple years in the hills around here. Maybe I'm not going in far enough...

In in the east bay over in Antioch. I head up to Black Diamond Mines / Contra Loma every spring and summer. They are all over the place if you know where to look. I have found quite a few 3-4 footers. In Mid to late spring they babies are all over the place. I have one of them in my family room, great conversation starter.

professionalcoyotehunter
04-06-2010, 7:22 AM
I only eat the bigger ones you should be able to either peel it off the bones or eat it off pretty easy.

+1

Just pull the meat from the backstrap and the inside tenderloins.:D

Bearclaw
04-06-2010, 3:11 PM
+1

Just pull the meat from the backstrap and the inside tenderloins.:D

Do snakes really have loins??? Since they have no legs! :43:

77bawls
04-06-2010, 5:28 PM
Yea one shot to the head would have been better. Then you have the skin and the meat.

silenthunter
04-06-2010, 7:13 PM
i didnt know there are kangaroo rats in the states.

ar15robert
04-06-2010, 7:46 PM
Looks more like a mohave green.

pieeater
04-06-2010, 7:56 PM
Yea one shot to the head would have been better. Then you have the skin and the meat.

Out of all the snakes ive killed ive only shot 2, usualy just smash the head with a rock or stick.