PDA

View Full Version : Cosmoline...

68Datsun510
04-03-2010, 1:48 PM
Hey folks, picking up my Mosin Nagant this weekekend. It has cosmo, but not tons on it. I was thinking of tackling it this way.

1 Completely disassemble gun
2 place all metal parts in a bucket of diesel fuel
3 wrap stock in paper towels and tape, oven at 160 degrees or so

remove, blast all metal with rem-oil spray, do proper cleaning/oil, reassemble.

Sound like a solid plan?

Milsurp Collector
04-03-2010, 3:22 PM
The diesel fuel will work but is messy. Heat from a blow drier and a wipedown with paper towels works well and is easy. Some guys soak the metal parts in boiling water. See http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/lowheatmethod/index.asp

paul0660
04-03-2010, 3:32 PM
Regular unleaded. Outside. No smoking. Diesel is oil, not a solvent like gas, and a poor choice.

Spiggy
04-03-2010, 3:34 PM
damn, weather isn't good enough for solar oven(aka, black aluminum trash can)...

But black aluminum trash can with heat lamps may do the trick!

68Datsun510
04-03-2010, 5:41 PM
Yeah unfortunately its been downright COLD lately here in Placerville. Thanks for the links. Saw another forum that suggested the Diesel, then after i posted i started thinking differently.

gunboat
04-03-2010, 6:00 PM
Actually, diesel is an excellent solvent, better than gas and much safer too. The only downside is smell and a rinse/wipe down with a more volatile solvent to remove it.

paul0660
04-03-2010, 6:13 PM
gunboat, it is called diesel OIL for a reason......it isn't a solvent but it does thin heavier oils. Gasoline isn't completely safe but in the proper hands, like guns, perfectly safe.

rromeo
04-03-2010, 6:47 PM
What works the best for getting cosmoline off of my sling? I ran it throught he dishwasher, but that didn't too much.

Jerkdog
04-03-2010, 7:15 PM
Mineral spirits. Enjoy.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu23.htm

mls343
04-03-2010, 8:23 PM
Hair dryer (heat), brake cleaner, Q-tips, CLP, WD-40, elbo grease, paitence, and lots of rags = Cosmo cleaner.

Cosmoline is actually good stuff. There is no better way to really learn your weapon than to clean all to cosmo off. Take your time, heat is your friend, and enjoy.

Not too many people actually experience, or even know what cosmo is, so consider yourself lucky.

Interloper
04-03-2010, 9:08 PM
I seriously doubt your oven will accommodate a 91/30 stock.
Mineral spirits and Denatured alcohol work well on the metal but don't use DA on the stock because it will melt the shellac finish!

Zomgie
04-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Just got my Mosin yesterday and here's how I treated it:

Cranked up the heat on my bathtub as hot as it would go (hotter than you can touch) and placed all the metal in 4~ inches of water and then poured in about a 1/4 gallon of pure ammonia.

It let it sit for about 10 minutes and then pulled each piece out and rubbed it down / dried it with some old rags.

The metal was PERFECT after this. A lot of the cosmoline seemed to 'bubble' away with the ammonia and some came off on the rags when I dried them. EDIT: Also make sure to use a bore snake / cloth pad to dry the inside of the barrel.

For the wood I just sprayed them down with an ammonia/water blend and wiped them down because I don't have a way to heat the wood and didn't want it to become saturated.

After oiling down everything nice with gun oil and reassembling I couldn't be happier with the way the metal looks/feels. No greasy gunk at all :)

7.62x54R
04-03-2010, 11:02 PM
I have used mineral spirits, brake cleaner, and boiling water. They all did the job.

johnthomas
04-03-2010, 11:14 PM
I have used the diswasher 5 times on different rifles, never a problem.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/dishwashermethod/index.asp

AngryPossum
04-04-2010, 8:28 AM
The diesel fuel will work but is messy. Heat from a blow drier and a wipedown with paper towels works well and is easy. Some guys soak the metal parts in boiling water. See http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/lowheatmethod/index.asp

+1 for a blow dryer. I'd take it apart and clean piece by piece. I just got some parts for my 1903A3 and they were covered in so much cosmo I thought I'd be at it for hours. Plugged in the girl friends hair dryer and the cosmoline practically dripped off all by itself. I wiped the remainder off with an old shirt and 15-20 minutes later....the pieces look brand new.

AnimalMother
04-04-2010, 9:48 AM
I fought this battle also with my CMP Garand. I used the surplus rifle method. I bought a big cheap pot from walmart than put all the parts that could fit in the pot and boiled them in water. Cosmos comes right off while its being boiled. For the barrel and other big parts I put them outside and boiled water than poured it on. Worked great. No harsh chemicals but it does take some time since you're mostly waiting for the water to boil.

Fate
04-04-2010, 10:09 AM
I have used the diswasher 5 times on different rifles, never a problem.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/dishwashermethod/index.asp

The dishwasher method on stocks is the WORST. You'll raise/eliminate cartouches, get "fuzzies" on the wood that require sanding and the whole shebang will have to be refinished after losing everything original to the finish. Bad, bad.

Wrap stock in paper towels, put in black plastic bag and leave in rear window of your car for a few days (change out the towels daily). Much will leech out. No finish loss.

Metal= boiling water, paper towels and Q-tips. Then CLP to prevent rust.

Rekrab
04-04-2010, 10:17 AM
I learned something interesting with a recent Mosin purchase: Cosmoline makes your hands really soft.

When I did mine I just took a heat gun to the metal. The wood I've just wiped down. So it feels oily, but not too bad.

pullnshoot25
04-04-2010, 10:33 AM
I fought this battle also with my CMP Garand. I used the surplus rifle method. I bought a big cheap pot from walmart than put all the parts that could fit in the pot and boiled them in water. Cosmos comes right off while its being boiled. For the barrel and other big parts I put them outside and boiled water than poured it on. Worked great. No harsh chemicals but it does take some time since you're mostly waiting for the water to boil.

Pyrex and 4min on high= boiling water :)

2Cute2Shoot
04-04-2010, 10:45 AM
And here's me thinking that the cosmoline you were talking about was the online version of Cosmo Magazine :rofl2:

Super Spy
04-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Just got my Mosin yesterday and here's how I treated it:

Cranked up the heat on my bathtub as hot as it would go (hotter than you can touch) and placed all the metal in 4~ inches of water and then poured in about a 1/4 gallon of pure ammonia.

It let it sit for about 10 minutes and then pulled each piece out and rubbed it down / dried it with some old rags.

The metal was PERFECT after this. A lot of the cosmoline seemed to 'bubble' away with the ammonia and some came off on the rags when I dried them. EDIT: Also make sure to use a bore snake / cloth pad to dry the inside of the barrel.

For the wood I just sprayed them down with an ammonia/water blend and wiped them down because I don't have a way to heat the wood and didn't want it to become saturated.

After oiling down everything nice with gun oil and reassembling I couldn't be happier with the way the metal looks/feels. No greasy gunk at all :)

So how nasty was the bathtub after? My wife would wring my neck.......

I like Gunzilla, cuts Cosmoline well, not nearly as stinky as Hoppes, and you need way less of it. I've been buying Swiss rifles lately and they don't seem to come soaked in Cosmoline so I've just been disassembling them and cleaning them.

BatBoy2 75
04-04-2010, 12:03 PM
I just put together a trash can easy bake oven. It cost me $50.00 in parts and 45 minutes of my time to put together. So far, it's done a wonderful job on two SKS rifles and a Mosin M38. The two SKS rifles had a ton of cosmoline come pouring out; particularly the out of the butt-stock/cleaning kit areas. Ninety minutes at 150-175 degrees F with a wipe down and rotation every 15 minutes did the trick.

pullnshoot25
04-04-2010, 12:09 PM
And here's me thinking that the cosmoline you were talking about was the online version of Cosmo Magazine :rofl2:

This could be a good pun...

Spiggy
04-04-2010, 12:21 PM

There's a running joke about C&R collectors and the love of cosmo...

Zomgie
04-05-2010, 9:57 AM
So how nasty was the bathtub after? My wife would wring my neck.......

Heh. I worried a little bit about that, but the ammonia actually left it cleaner than when I started! =)

Someguy925
04-05-2010, 10:44 AM
My roommate and I built a cosmoline easy bake oven.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/lowheatmethod2/index.asp

Good when you don't want to fudge around with an oven or dishwasher. I suppose the only problem is that I can't really control the temperate of the thing, so I have to watch it so often to make sure the cosmoline doesn't catch fire.