PDA

View Full Version : Putting scope on non-collectible M44

Cos
04-03-2010, 2:18 PM
Hi there.

I have a non-collectible (non matched) Hungarian M44, which I don't mind to turn into a scout rifle. Have tried to tap out the pin of rear sight to replace it with a rail mount. However, it doesn't won't to come out... at all.

Is there's anyone in Bay Area who have successfully removed the rear-sight from M44 and willing to help me to do the same? Or can anyone suggest a good gunsmith for the service?

Thanks in advance,
Cos

Cos
04-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Please disregard - a little C-clamp has helped me to remove the sight. Thanks a CalGun fellow for the hint.

And feeling the hit coming my way from C&R crowd I want to make myself clear :) : I'm not "sporterizing" a good and historically valuable rifle: Hungarian piece of junk made in 48 or so. However, the bore is perfect, so it seems to be a good shooter after all :-)

Jimmy310
04-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Cos, i'll trade you my 1944 Izzy M44 for your Hungarian ;) Its in great shape!

knucklehead0202
04-07-2010, 11:15 PM
screw anybody who cracks your nuts about "sporterizing" a good gun. you paid for it, do what you want with it. if somebody's that upset about it, they'll pay you a handsome amount of money for the gun and you can buy something less "collectable" to mess with. i run something of a sporter "rescue", because i love old sporters, that is, old military rifles that were sporterized a long time ago, or recently but in a classy fashion. not some cobbled-together ugly piece of crap with lame camo paint, a muzzle break and a red-dot sight on. that's just stupid. i'm sure i offended at least a few people there but tough rocks, i've only personally sported one rifle, a nothing, mismatched 91/30 barreled action i bought from a fellow calgunner for the express purpose of building a sporter. otherwise, i own 4 other sporterized military rifles that are an absolute pleasure to shoot, very accurate, and aesthetically pleasing. anyhow, enjoy your gun the way you can enjoy it best, and if that means modifying it, go for it!

Cos
04-07-2010, 11:28 PM
that is, old military rifles that were sporterized a long time ago, or recently but in a classy fashion. not some cobbled-together ugly piece of crap with lame camo paint, a muzzle break and a red-dot sight on. that's just stupid.
I couldn't tell better myself! Great point, man. Ruining a collectible rifle is silly, but making a good shooter to shoot better might make sense if you're comfortable with it :)

Enjoy your collection!

Palimino Stripe
04-07-2010, 11:33 PM
It's your gun and you can do what you wish with it (and it doesn't sound like you're really doing anything drastic)- but please don't classify it with it's MUCH more common brother- the Russian M44.

Hungarian M44's are (despite what you think) fairly difficult to find- compared to a 1945 Russian.

-Palimino

P.s. Oh, and you must be mistaken- Russian M44's were made from 1943-1948. Hungarian M44's were ONLY made in 1952 & 1953.

Cos
04-07-2010, 11:52 PM
Well, I'm clearly not going to apologize for what I'm doing to my rifle (and yes - nothing drastic). Let's start with the fact that rifle was 'beautified' by the previous owner: stock was re-finished, bayonet and metal parts were parkerized, and so on.

The numbers on the rifle aren't matching, so it seems like a bad case of arsenal rebuilt. I can't the link handy, but somewhere on 7.62x54r.net I've seen that such a rifle's collectibility is about 2 on scale of 1 to 10. So, yes - it is pretty rare (were made for less than 2 years only), but this particular one doesn't belong to the collectors corner anyway.

Speaking of Russian made M44s: I'm looking for one, so if you have an extra Tula of 1944 in good shape or Izhevsk of 1943 - I'll get it gladly!

BatBoy2 75
04-08-2010, 1:34 AM
I recently purchased a M44 from a guy that over heard a conversation of mine about M44s at a Big 5 gun counter.

This idiot had removed the rear sight and welded on a rail. I say idiot, only because he could have easily installed a scout scope rail with jacking up the rear sights. However, for $70.00, I couldn't say no. I took it home, cleaned it, installed a inexpensive scout scope on it, zeroed it, and then shot the hell out of it. I love this rifle.

The next mod was hack sawing off the bayonet, using a grinder to sooth things out, and cold bluing the grind marks.

Next I'm going to install a muzzle break and maybe even a recoil pad.

It's your rifle and when it comes to Mosins, they made 4 million of the damn things. Buy a couple for collecting, buy a couple to sporterize, & then go to town sporterizing the damn things. It's your money, your rifle, and sporterizing a rifle is damn fun.

Tell the purist to go STFU.

Palimino Stripe
04-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Well, I'm clearly not going to apologize for what I'm doing to my rifle

I agree- you don't have to. Have fun with it...

One more thing to point out though- 7.62X54R.net's rarity scale is AT LEAST a decade old now. What was common in the year 2000 isn't quite as easily found anymore...

-Palimino

Tho_Sun
04-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Back to the thread,

I had trouble too with this. It's easyer to use a good solid punch and a rubber mallet to take out the pins. After that, give it a gentle tap with the rubber mallet toward the stock to take off the site completely. You'll have a hard time finding rings that will grab onto the rail without sliding forward with every shot so you might want to use one of the pins as a stop to prevent the rings from drifting forward. Let me know how it turns out and if it works out for ya~

Alex$
04-08-2010, 11:19 AM
I agree- you don't have to. Have fun with it...

One more thing to point out though- 7.62X54R.net's rarity scale is AT LEAST a decade old now. What was common in the year 2000 isn't quite as easily found anymore...

-Palimino

How is this possible when 7.62x54R.net didn't exist in 2000?

Ted does a great job keeping an up to date site with relevant information on serious collecting of MN's. Not a collector? Stay away from that site, they are purists. I do not know of a more authoritative and informative site.

Back to topic: as far as sporterizing goes, I wouldn't do it but more power to you. Each sporterized/bubba'ed MN just increases the value of the original ones.

Palimino Stripe
04-08-2010, 5:20 PM
Ok- I exaggerated- 2004. Still, a lot can happen in 6 years. Besides- Ted himself has mentioned that the rarity guide is out of date (and this was a couple years ago)...

Ok I've said my peace :)

-Palimno

knucklehead0202
04-10-2010, 1:01 AM
thanks to the others who say screw 'em and do what they want with their rifles. i'm sporting a $40 '91/30 barreled action right now and if some clown hassled me about "bubba-izing" my rifle i'd slap the taste out of their mouth. sporterizing and bubba are exclusive things and should not be mistaken for each other. anyone who lumps them together is not only an elitist fool, but an ignorant twit who has no business owning any firearm, much less a fine, military-surplus sporter, which used to be the premier hunting rifle in this country. i'm not keen on these spray-painted, muzzle-break, tactical sling bolt rifles, but if that's your goal, it's your gun and good on you for making it yours. elitism is for the democrats people, have some damned respect for yourselves...

jms
04-10-2010, 12:15 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/jms999/Mosin%20Nagant/M44_Lam-Sniper_Conversion.jpg

gorblimey
04-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Also check out Mojo sights. Their new MicroClick type is sweet. Nice clicky wheel for elevation adjustment, windage uses a worm gear operated with a tiny allen wrench. Can keep the front sight or install one of their apertures. I went with the aperture, oh and by the way both front and rear apertures use threaded inserts to you can modify aperture diameter to taste.

Z ME FLY
04-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Hey Cos! I'm glad I could help you out. Make sure you post some pictures of it when it is done. I like the iron sights better because of the position my head is. When I had the scope, my head was raised a bit and it wasn't that comfortable for me to shoot. I do want a 91/30 similar to what jms posted.