PDA

View Full Version : C&R SKS

BestGuess
04-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Hello All,
I'm a newbie to the site. I have purchased three bolt action rifles using my C & R. All were a good experience. I am now looking into buying an SKS for plinking. Not exactly sure about the CA rules on a C & R SKS? Seems like grenade launchers,flash supressors,detachable mags are a no-no. Could you guys set me straight on what is a go vs no go on having one shipped to me from out of state?

Thanks for all your help,

CR

TRICKSTER
04-03-2010, 1:00 PM
Russian are all OK. Romanian built 1959 or earlier are also OK. These are 50+ years old and don't have "evil" features.

hifiguns
04-03-2010, 5:40 PM
The Russian SKS is an excellent SKS and fairly plentiful. They are all C&R. Generally, you can get them in better shape than the Romanian version. The refurbs with the BBQ black paint on the metal and bolt carrier and laminated stocks should be cheaper, and may be in better functional condition. Hardwood birch stocks, bluing on the metal and unblued bolt carrier/bolt with all matching numbers are the most desireable and collectable. You might get lucky with a "Buy It Now" on the auction sites. http://www.flickr.com/photos/follow-the-edge/2874800237/sizes/o/

Forgot to mention the Yugo SKS M59 which is C&R, CA legal and very hard to find.

mls343
04-03-2010, 8:29 PM
+ 1 on the Russian. I have one and she is sweet. You will not be disappointed.

paul0660
04-03-2010, 8:37 PM
Forgot to mention the Yugo SKS M59 which is C&R, CA legal and very hard to find.

AFAIK, it is impossible to date M59's, and I have heard that none were actually manufactured until the 60's, so they are not a rock solid 50 years old.

SanPedroShooter
04-03-2010, 8:38 PM
What about yugos with grenade launchers etc.. I've seen quite a few for sale here on CGN, so i assume its good to go. Am i wrong. can they be ordered on my c&r from out of state, grenade launcher and all??

TRICKSTER
04-03-2010, 9:00 PM
What about yugos with grenade launchers etc.. I've seen quite a few for sale here on CGN, so i assume its good to go. Am i wrong. can they be ordered on my c&r from out of state, grenade launcher and all??
No, they are not 50+ years old so you can't have them shipped to you. The ones you see here in CA have the grenade launcher modified and are sold in CA through a 01FFL. You can go out of state and buy one in person with your C&R, but you must neuter the grenade launcher before you bring it into CA.

Interloper
04-03-2010, 9:04 PM

The Yugo 59/66 is no-go as long as the grenade launcher is intact. You could ask the seller to unscrew it or drill holes in it but they will probably balk.
No Chinese SKS is C&R.
I like the Soviets myself but they seem to be priced as much as the rarer Romanian ones lately. Albanian SkS's are pretty cool but they were manufactured in the 70's and are not C&R.

Rob454
04-03-2010, 9:05 PM

Be careful because the out of state ones may or may NOT be cali compliant. You're better off with one from here. The grenade launcher ones are Yugo M59/66 and there are a ton of them for sale. The california models do not have the grenade launcher because its classified as a destructive device ( the reason/thinking of that law is because you can walk in anywhere and purchase the rifle grenades in the state. I think Albertsons had a sale on them last week) Some are better than others.

IF you get one that is not all in factory form make sure it has not been bubbafied( by bubbafied I mean its still able to be put back in its original configuration)
Yugo M59s are very hard to find. once in a while one pops up on here. i have one and it always catches my eye when i see one.
AFAIK the Russian SKS is the only one that is C&R but not all of them. Pretty much all SKS rifles will have to go through a FFL. There are some that are in better overall shape than others. I would look for the best one you can afford to buy. Don't buy a hacked up one to simply have a SKS.
There are still some reasonably priced ones out there. you can get a Chinese for about 300$
And for gods sake IF you do decide to get one and think its gonna be tactical KEEP all your stock parts and DONT cut anything off. make sure you can bring the rifle back to factory condition. You can thank me later when you realize what a mistake you made when you tacticool your SKS. Reason i know is because I did the same thing. I was ableto bring my SKS back to factory condition. The only thing that sucks about mine is the factory stock cracked and was unfixable so I had to put it on a yugo 59/66 stock. so its not in all numbers matching shape but I dont care cause i dont plan on selling it

TRICKSTER
04-03-2010, 9:32 PM
All Russian SKS's are C&R. They stopped making them in 1956.
This site has some good info as to when each countries SKS's were made.
http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-24.htm

Rem222
04-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks for all the info you guys have shared. I'm also looking at picking up a SKS and more knowledge can't hurt.

jaq
04-04-2010, 6:47 AM
The Yugo 59/66 is no-go as long as the grenade launcher is intact. You could ask the seller to unscrew it or drill holes in it but they will probably balk.
No Chinese SKS is C&R.
I like the Soviets myself but they seem to be priced as much as the rarer Romanian ones lately. Albanian SkS's are pretty cool but they were manufactured in the 70's and are not C&R.

Can you expand on why Chinese SKS' are not C & R? I was looking at one at a gun store the other day and the store owner did not know whether or not it was C & R. We looked for a date and couldn't find one.

EDIT: Nevermind, I checked out the Yooper John site. Resolved.

SanPedroShooter
04-04-2010, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=Rob454;4066437]Be careful because the out of state ones may or may NOT be cali compliant. You're better off with one from here. The grenade launcher ones are Yugo M59/66 and there are a ton of them for sale. The california models do not have the grenade launcher because its classified as a destructive device"
IF you get one that is not all in factory form make sure it has not been bubbafied( by bubbafied I mean its still able to be put back in its original configuration)
Yugo M59s are very hard to find. once in a while one pops up on here."

Im a little confused. Are there a ton for sale, or a they hard to find?
Did you mean a ton for sale out of state? Or are they two different guns? Also, the ones i've seen for sale on CGN should have the grenade launcher modified in some way, correct?

Mssr. Eleganté
04-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Im a little confused. Are there a ton for sale, or a they hard to find?
Did you mean a ton for sale out of state? Or are they two different guns? Also, the ones i've seen for sale on CGN should have the grenade launcher modified in some way, correct?

They are two different guns. The Yugo M59 is the earlier, rare version that looks just like a standard SKS. The Yugo M59/66 is the later, common version with the grenade launcher and sight. The M59/66 rifles you see for sale in California have the grenade launcher removed or disabled.

paul0660
04-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Also, the 59/66 has a gas valve (switch) to make the gun a single shot for the grenade launcher function. The valve is problematic, but parts to fix it are available.

CEDaytonaRydr
04-04-2010, 2:13 PM
This has always been a confusing topic for me...

My question has always been "Which SKSs can I have shipped to my door, with and 03 FFL?"

I can't seem to ever get a handle on that... :confused:

TRICKSTER
04-04-2010, 2:19 PM
This has always been a confusing topic for me...

My question has always been "Which SKSs can I have shipped to my door, with and 03 FFL?"

I can't seem to ever get a handle on that... :confused:

Asked and answered. See post #2.

CEDaytonaRydr
04-04-2010, 2:25 PM
Asked and answered. See post #2.

That's it?

No other options exist?

TRICKSTER
04-04-2010, 2:34 PM
That's it?

No other options exist?

All the information that you need is in this thread and the posted link.
http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-24.htm
Read it all and your questions will be answered.

Interloper
04-04-2010, 5:51 PM
That's it?

No other options exist?

It's pretty simple. The gun must be 50+ years old and cannot have a detachable magazine or a functional grenade launcher.
The issue with Chinese SKS's is that they cannot be dated. Even though the Chinese have been making them since the '50's, there is no way to date individual carbines, at least not as far as the ATF is concerned. This is not a California specific issue. Chinese SKS's are non C&R in all 50 States.

bigthaiboy
04-04-2010, 9:20 PM
It's pretty simple. The gun must be 50+ years old and cannot have a detachable magazine or a functional grenade launcher.
The issue with Chinese SKS's is that they cannot be dated. Even though the Chinese have been making them since the '50's, there is no way to date individual carbines, at least not as far as the ATF is concerned. This is not a California specific issue. Chinese SKS's are non C&R in all 50 States.

Plus very large numbers of Chinese SKSs imported into the US during the 80's and 90's (up to 1996) were made by Norinco, and were new commercially built rifles for export.