PDA

View Full Version : What is the proper way to sell a firearm?

ambiguous216
02-14-2006, 8:53 PM
I am looking into selling a firearm to a customer in northern CA. I am in southern CA. I am just an ordinary guy just trying to clean out the safe. A very reliable source says all I have to do is get the customer to send me copy of the FFL license and the money of course, verify the license is valid on the DOJ website and send it out. Can anyone verify this?

ohsmily
02-14-2006, 10:15 PM
I am looking into selling a firearm to a customer in northern CA. I am in southern CA. I am just an ordinary guy just trying to clean out the safe. A very reliable source says all I have to do is get the customer to send me copy of the FFL license and the money of course, verify the license is valid on the DOJ website and send it out. Can anyone verify this?

SEARCH FUNCTION

its been covered MANY times.

(but, since I am patient and nice) get a copy of the dealers FFL in the mail or via fax that you are sending it to and then ship the gun. It is more restricted if it is a handgun. Handguns must go through common carrier like UPS or Fed Ex. Technically, handguns are supposed go overnight shipping, but I never do that, too expensive.
If it is a long gun, you can even use the post office (unless someone knows for a fact that this is wrong) I KNOW you can NOT ship a handgun via the post office, but I believe long guns are ok.

Whatever you do, make sure to declare what is in the package, but make sure they do not mark it on the outside what it is.

And don't bring it to a UPS Store or Postal Annex or something, bring it to the central shipping spots, not the retail locations.

RRangel
02-14-2006, 10:23 PM
A good dealer can take care of most of it. Find a dealer who ships. If you're selling get the buyers FFL paper work to your FFL. Once you're paid the package gets sent to the buyers FFL and you're all set.

Get insurance and it would be wise to ship overnight. This will cut down on the time the firearm is vulnerable to theft or damage.

This is probably the easiest way.