PDA

View Full Version : Shocking.... State Laws and Published Ordninaces - Firearms....

Juniper Kid
02-14-2006, 6:31 PM
I was reading the BATF publication of all states laws and published ordinances regarding firearms and I was shocked to learn that our state have the most restrictive gun laws ever...

Get this,

California = 70+ pages

compare to

Vermont = barely 1 page

Texas = 3 pages

etc...

shopkeep
02-14-2006, 6:41 PM
Actually I'm going to have to disagree for a few reasons.

Maine, New Jersey, New York, and Illinois all have extremely sophisticated registration and tracking systems involving ID cards and various full time government staff that keep track of all weapons and IDs (or at least they ATTEMPT to do so).

Maine, New Jersey, New York, and Illinois already have "high capacity" magazine bans and I am already aware that Illinois is working hard to pass legislation IDENTICAL to SB-23 at this moment. New Jersey's AW Ban even names the M-1 Carbine and other WWI and WWII semi-auto rifles as Assault Weapons. In fact almost ANY semi-auto rifle is an AW in New Jersey. In New York you have to collect various stamps and qualifications just to purchase additional firearms.

I'd say that despite not being able to have a pistol grip on a semi-auto (for now) and having some silly handgun bans in place, we've got it pretty good compared to the other blue states. Despite what some might say there is still a significant pro-gun rural population in California and the Central Valley is only becomming more conservative according to recent studies.

I'm hoping that other states considering SB-23 type bans such as Hawaii and New Jersey are watching the off-list lower situation unfold. If they're not they better be ready for when their residents discover the joys of off-list ARs and AKs in their state :D!

grammaton76
02-14-2006, 6:49 PM
I thought Hawaii actually had worse bans than we do?

Juniper Kid
02-14-2006, 6:54 PM
oh... I wasn't reading just yet... I was flipping the pages... and noticed our state have over 70+ pages... =P

Juniper Kid
02-14-2006, 6:57 PM
Question for you guys.. ok what's with all these people that introduce/pass lame ca laws.. it seem like every month some ca assh** will try to pass some random anti gun law?

So, this means Vermont with only 1 page and Texas 3 pages, does that mean their legislature/reps. aren't doing any thing on the job?

grammaton76
02-14-2006, 7:03 PM
Question for you guys.. ok what's with all these people that introduce/pass lame ca laws.. it seem like every month some ca assh** will try to pass some random anti gun law?

So, this means Vermont with only 1 page and Texas 3 pages, does that mean their legislature/reps. aren't doing any thing on the job?

In other states, they figure if they want to keep their jobs, they better not try to introduce anti-gun laws. In this state, they figure if they want to keep their jobs, they better keep introducing anti-gun laws so that they fit in with the pack.

Juniper Kid
02-14-2006, 7:08 PM
In other states, they figure if they want to keep their jobs, they better not try to introduce anti-gun laws. In this state, they figure if they want to keep their jobs, they better keep introducing anti-gun laws so that they fit in with the pack.

sad... Besides, the usual stuff like, write your congressman, vote, etc.. what can we do to make our state more like, Texas?

After the uni, I plan to move to TX... been wanting to buy a class 3 title 2 gun.... before the price goes thru the roof.... :eek:

dwtt
02-14-2006, 7:17 PM
I thought Hawaii actually had worse bans than we do?
Hawaii is free compared to CA. Hawaii bans magazines of >10 rds, but you can still buy a regular AR-15. At least that was how it was in 2005.

Juniper Kid
02-14-2006, 7:21 PM
Hawaii is free compared to CA. Hawaii bans magazines of >10 rds, but you can still buy a regular AR-15. At least that was how it was in 2005.

Are they allowed to keep their pre-ban mags? seem like a nice place to live but too far away, plus the cost of living is probably expensive?

I'd like to live in a state with affordable housing for new homeowners.... I may be buying my first starter home soon... in Texas.

patman
02-14-2006, 8:10 PM
Hawaii is not cheap. Variety of food is great. You get to see a LOT of legs downtown during lunch time :) Aloha shirts instead of suit and tie [although some aloha shirts cost $80-$120, dry clean only]

Nice to visit, visit many times, but CA is still nicer overall to live (except for the hot spots).

1 bedroom condo near diamond head (http://www.cbpacific.com/PropertyDetail.asp?L=11551942&R=PropertyList.asp&A=1&P=10&fl=1&N=&AID=-1&GID=6500584&Sort=0&MA=&vm=1&selCity=-1&selStatus=9)

[snip]
I'd like to live in a state with affordable housing for new homeowners.... I may be buying my first starter home soon... in Texas.

Juniper Kid
02-14-2006, 8:23 PM
Hawaii is not cheap. Variety of food is great. You get to see a LOT of legs downtown during lunch time :) Aloha shirts instead of suit and tie [although some aloha shirts cost $80-$120, dry clean only]

Nice to visit, visit many times, but CA is still nicer overall to live (except for the hot spots).

1 bedroom condo near diamond head (http://www.cbpacific.com/PropertyDetail.asp?L=11551942&R=PropertyList.asp&A=1&P=10&fl=1&N=&AID=-1&GID=6500584&Sort=0&MA=&vm=1&selCity=-1&selStatus=9)

I couldn't possibly afford a 300K apartment/condo? :eek:

I think Tx and Az are the most affordable states to live for the new homeowners?

FreedomIsNotFree
02-15-2006, 12:21 AM
Uhhh.....Here in San Jose and many other parts of CA a crappy 1 room condo will run ya $300,000. Not saying I want to move to HI but this aint Diamond Head....its friggin east side San Jose. :DOH

shopkeep
02-15-2006, 9:05 AM

According to one former Hawaii resident I talked with, residents were not allowed to keep their "pre-ban mags" hence there are NO magazines larger than 10 rounds there. Just like Illinois, Hawaii is convinced that SB-23 is the way to go and is also in the process of adopting a .50 ban that will force residents to surrender, destroy, or move out of the state their .50 rifles.

The other blue states are impressed with CA's tough gun bans and are trying to up the ante. Expect to see gun bans by 2007 in other blue states MUCH tougher than ours.

grammaton76
02-15-2006, 9:37 AM
Eh, the prices of condos don't look bad at all compared to what I'm used to seeing.

As for first-time homeowners in CA, do what I did - buy a mobile home. Typically they run less than 6 figures, which at a CA pay scale you can generally pay off in 5 years if you're careful with your money AND get a roomie to take the edge off of the space rental fees.

When it's paid off, in 3.5 years, I'll probably be capable of hermit-crabbing into a condo without taking on a whole bunch of extra debt. And once that's paid off, it's time to hermit-crab into a small house.

1911_sfca
02-15-2006, 9:55 AM

Guess it depends on your perspective. I would rather have the CA state legislature sit around and twiddle their thumbs all day, or post all the CA laws up on the wall and take turns throwing darts at them, and then strike the section each dart hits. The state would be a much better place than with them doing what they do now.

mblat
02-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Guess it depends on your perspective. I would rather have the CA state legislature sit around and twiddle their thumbs all day, or post all the CA laws up on the wall and take turns throwing darts at them, and then strike the section each dart hits. The state would be a much better place than with them doing what they do now.

And that goes to everything, not only gun control. Majority of the problems we have now on state and federal levels is the result of having one party ruling all. That allows them to actually DO something and when politicians DO ANYTHING AT ALL it always ends up bad for common folks.

ObeOne
02-16-2006, 9:47 AM
Not to quibble points, but unless something changed that I haven't herd about, IL does not have a mag ban. Most of down state is pretty good just up near Chicago is the problem. (See any similarities?)
Obe One

Turbinator
02-17-2006, 6:06 AM
You guys looking at real estate should look into some of the high-rise condos going up in SF and Las Vegas. I have heard numbers in the $700k and $900k range for these properties, if you're into high-rise luxury living.

Turby

jmlivingston
02-17-2006, 6:12 AM
You guys looking at real estate should look into some of the high-rise condos going up in SF and Las Vegas. I have heard numbers in the $700k and $900k range for these properties, if you're into high-rise luxury living.

Actually I did, about 6 months ago. There's something like 25-30 towers going up in LV right now, all in various stages of planning. I decided that was too many at once and expect to see the market there get flooded. They've been seeing a similiar real estate boom that we've been seeing here in SoCal, it's just not sustainable long-term...

John

Juniper Kid
02-17-2006, 8:30 AM

LOL..... :D

I think I'll live with my parents for awhile until such time I can afford a small starter house around here or maybe move out of state.

Some of my friends have moved to Arizona for the cheaper housing, etc.

Thanks.

rips31
02-17-2006, 11:08 AM

Turby
lol...in sf, 1000 sqft, 60 yr old homes in the higher-crime areas sell for $700k. hawaii doesn't have anything on us.

spunk2
02-21-2006, 12:30 PM
Vermont requires no permit to carry a concealed weapon. Vermont has almost the lowest crime in the country, at number 49. Almost every other Red state is "shall issue".

---------------------------------------------------------------
Those that would give up liberty for security deserve neither.

wangankin
02-21-2006, 3:02 PM

Where do you shoot such weapons when a .50 BMG can go across the entire island...