PDA

View Full Version : garand tanker question

badfish71
04-03-2010, 12:01 AM
I dont remember where i heard it but... is it true a tanker garand is not eligable for cash and carry?? im not very familiar with garands and im just starting to learn. Thank you.

hunteran
04-03-2010, 12:41 AM
The Tanker Garands are modified Garands (the actual Tanker Garands made by the military never got past the experimental stage, they're exceedingly rare). If I recall correctly in order for something to be cash and carry it has to be in its original condition.

badfish71
04-03-2010, 12:59 AM
thats what i was afraid of. i have one i want to sell but im sure most people dont wanna go through the dros hassle. anyone know what they roughly sell for?

microwaveguy
04-03-2010, 8:59 AM
Well one of the companies that build them is asking $1245.00

Article here : http://www.tactical-life.com/online/exclusives/mini-g-conversion-30-06/?hp=exclusives_title

And Mfg here : http://www.shuffsparkerizing.com/Conversion_Tanker_Sniper.php

I am certain it needs a DROS since it has been modified

smle-man
04-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Tanker Garands generally haven't been successful and have functioning problems. I had one and spent a couple years trying to get it to work reliably. Stay away from them.

TRICKSTER
04-03-2010, 12:51 PM
I think it depends on the receiver. Fulton Armory is still selling them to 03 FFLs.
Tim Schuff makes the Mini-G. You send him your garand and he modifies it.
He has overcome the functioning problems associated with the tankers.
http://www.shuffsparkerizing.com/Conversion_Tanker_Sniper.php

vf111
04-03-2010, 4:41 PM
Tanker Garands generally haven't been successful and have functioning problems. I had one and spent a couple years trying to get it to work reliably. Stay away from them.

Mine in 308 works fine - built on a 86XXX Springfield receiver w/ Tanker parts kit Numrich used to sell.

badfish71
04-03-2010, 7:27 PM
The tanker I have actually functions great. Its built on a springfield reciever (early forty's) forgot exactly what year. I was just thinkin about selling it since I don't shoot it at all. Figured someone could give it a good home.

mocos
04-05-2011, 7:23 PM
I recently purchased a tanker and the c&r question came up...I emailed Fulton Armory and their reply was that the receiver determines the age for c&r qualification regardless of any modifications to it that may have been done. Face to Face is ok however if it should go ffl to ffl via some method of shipping, the ffl's would opt for dros just in case. The tanker I bought was local and it was FTF with the letter from Fulton Amory. I also have a Mini-G from Shufflin and that was a ffl to ffl n dros...

Paul_R
04-05-2011, 7:48 PM
There aren't that many people who know how to build one, most are complete hack jobs (anything made by Federal Ordinance for example). An adjustable gas system is a must as is a smith who knows how to modify an op rod. You definitely get what you pay for.

My .308 was built by Roland Beaver and it runs flawless.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h312/pjriss/DSC00387.jpg

Geodetic
04-05-2011, 9:09 PM
Can you ship an M1 to Tim Shufflin yourself and then have it shipped directly back to you in Mini G form? Or do you need it shipped back to an FFL?

Eat Dirt
04-05-2011, 9:23 PM

This Man would know ................

I'll take his advice

cmichini
04-05-2011, 9:42 PM
The Tanker Garands are modified Garands (the actual Tanker Garands made by the military never got past the experimental stage, they're exceedingly rare). If I recall correctly in order for something to be cash and carry it has to be in its original condition configuration.

I believe the change above is the verbage commonly used. So to me a Garand, made to be a 'tanker', wouldn't qualify as C&R unless made so by the US Gov't. I don't work for ATF, INAL, but if it were a deal I was doing I wouldn't consider it C&R for my bound book.

I think it depends on the receiver. Fulton Armory is still selling them to 03 FFLs.
Tim Schuff makes the Mini-G. You send him your garand and he modifies it.
He has overcome the functioning problems associated with the tankers.
http://www.shuffsparkerizing.com/Conversion_Tanker_Sniper.php

If FA is selling them as C&R, cool. I'd be hesitant as my understanding is different than theirs. Of course they'd pay lawyers from the Co. coffer, I'd be scraping it from the lint in my pockets.

TRICKSTER
04-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Can you ship an M1 to Tim Shufflin yourself and then have it shipped directly back to you in Mini G form? Or do you need it shipped back to an FFL?

You ship it to him and when he is done, which is just a few days later, he ships it directly back to you. I always just ship it via USPS and he returns it the same way.:D

TRICKSTER
04-06-2011, 12:11 AM
I believe the change above is the verbage commonly used. So to me a Garand, made to be a 'tanker', wouldn't qualify as C&R unless made so by the US Gov't. I don't work for ATF, INAL, but if it were a deal I was doing I wouldn't consider it C&R for my bound book.

If FA is selling them as C&R, cool. I'd be hesitant as my understanding is different than theirs. Of course they'd pay lawyers from the Co. coffer, I'd be scraping it from the lint in my pockets.

I believe that since the army did convert about 150 Garands to the T26 configuration and that it is documented, one could argue that this is an original configuration.

Markus
04-06-2011, 2:23 AM
Hmmm that mini g conversion looks amazing and has my poor credit card looking to be used. Do you guys think using a service grade m1 would overboard or should just use a field grade since its going to be worked over anyways?

TRICKSTER
04-06-2011, 1:32 PM
Hmmm that mini g conversion looks amazing and has my poor credit card looking to be used. Do you guys think using a service grade m1 would overboard or should just use a field grade since its going to be worked over anyways?

I used a service grade for mine, but only because it was a serious mixmaster and had a CMP birch stock. My field grade actually gauged better and has a nice USGI stock.
http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr233/RLH178/MINI-GRIGHT.jpg
http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr233/RLH178/MINI-GLEFT.jpg

morrcarr67
04-06-2011, 2:47 PM
I recently purchased a tanker and the c&r question came up...I emailed Fulton Armory and their reply was that the receiver determines the age for c&r qualification regardless of any modifications to it that may have been done. Face to Face is ok however if it should go ffl to ffl via some method of shipping, the ffl's would opt for dros just in case. The tanker I bought was local and it was FTF with the letter from Fulton Amory. I also have a Mini-G from Shufflin and that was a ffl to ffl n dros...

Here is a the opinion of a major retailer in the C&R business

http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=12&name=Surplus+Long+Guns

One 03 is C&R the other is not.

TRICKSTER
04-06-2011, 4:22 PM
Here is a the opinion of a major retailer in the C&R business

http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=12&name=Surplus+Long+Guns

One 03 is C&R the other is not.

Not a valid comparison as most "Tankers" are made with all original M1 Garand parts, not replica parts. They are just modified to another documented M1 Garand configuration.

morrcarr67
04-06-2011, 4:35 PM
Not a valid comparison as most "Tankers" are made with all original M1 Garand parts, not replica parts. They are just modified to another documented M1 Garand configuration.

This is in response to the FA letter stating that it is the receiver's age that determines if it's a C&R. Not true.

Orlando
04-06-2011, 4:40 PM

I would use a Field Grade as rifle will be completly refinished, barrel cut back

TRICKSTER
04-06-2011, 4:50 PM
This Man would know ................

I'll take his advice

Go ahead, but you are missing out on a really fun gun to shoot.
There are several smiths out there that have overcome the problems associated with tankers. Take the Mini-G for example, if I fell for the FUD, would have missed out on a great rifle.

tempdrummer
04-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Another plus 1 for the mini g. Tim is awesome to deal with. He can also convert your garand to take magazines ;)

timshufflin
06-08-2011, 8:14 PM
Hello folks, my name is Tim Shufflin and I make the Mini-G. I fully understand that apprehension involved in trying something new. All I can say to alleviate such apprehension is that if a Mini-G is shot with proper ammo, NO reloads, and it has function issues, send it back to me and I'll fix it. I have had three rifles in three years come back to me for fixes and I'm under the impression that all three worked perfectly after I made adjustments. I have a full 30 day warranty which also covers shipping should you need me to perform warranty work. If the rifle is outside the 30 day period, I'll still fix it with no charge except the shipping for the original owner.

Why does the Mini-G work?

1. I use a proper size 3/32 gas port so that any full power ammo will function the gas system.
2. I use an adjustable gas lock screw to vent off excess gas for loads that just don't need all that gas operating the oprod.
3. I bend the oprod to work without binding.
4. I modify the follower rod to take the proper spring pre-load and to stack enough spring to run the gun. Every follower rod is modified exactly the same and my springs are plug and play, NO MODIFYING new springs.
5. I do NOT use a shortened standard Garand spring. I use a spring made to work with my gun. It has thinner coils with more power. The thinner coils allow the spring to stack in the shorter area and thus, function.
6. Finally, I test fire every Mini-G two full enblocs until both eblocs run without fail.

Again I'm not saying I'm perfect BUT, if I fall short, I will fix it.

Thanks for indulging me by reading this.

Orlando
06-09-2011, 4:11 AM
Hey Tim
Glad to see you found your way here

smle-man
06-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Point #4 is what stopped my Arlington Ordnance tanker from working. Glad to see Tim is on top of that issue.