PDA

View Full Version : AR reconfiguring project advice wanted

Gunfighter01
02-14-2006, 6:40 PM
I have a (REGISTERED) Colt sporter 20" HBAR MATCH, that i want to trim down. I contacted DOJ Firearms Div today and got clearence to make all the changes i have thought about making, now i would like some advice.
First i want to make it a shorter version, and cant decide on an M4 or midlength rifle, what are the pro's and con's of each. I also am having trouble picking out, either a flat top with removable carry handle, or going with the A2 version. I will be using my Eotech with it, and is concerned about the front post getting in the way of the circle and dot on the Eotech. Next problem is, this is a Colt, and i'm sure im going to have trouble finding one that will match up with the reciever holes, i havent measured yet, but im pretty sure i have the large hole reciever. I am leaning towards RRA over Stag, because i just read a couple of reviews on the Stag in AR15.com and a couple of people have recieved uppers with bent barrels, that concerns me, although they are giving good reviews on Stags' customer support on the issue. I did find a Colt supplier, but they are out of sight on prices. My current version also has the Delta Cheek Piece , which is great for optics, but there is no way to use iron sights with it on, and its quiet a job removing it. I am probably going to go with a 6 stage collapsable stock to go with the Eotech. The whole idea for this change is to make it lighter and quicker for 3-gun competition. My current set up is so damn heavy, with all the added attractions ie: quad rail, bi-pod, Pentagon Light and Mount, that by about two stages i cant carry the damn thing anymore. By going with a whole new upper, i can have a light version for 3-gun, and change out the upper with a tactical scope on the full size, and use it for long range stuff. ANY ADVICE ON THE ABOVE IDEAS WOULD BE APPRECIATED, THANKS!

Lon Moer
02-14-2006, 7:27 PM
ANY ADVICE ON THE ABOVE IDEAS WOULD BE APPRECIATED, THANKS!
Okay.
- sell your upper and stock. Its Colt so the kool-aid drinkers over at ARFcom should be all over it.
- go with the flat-top, especially for using the EOthingy. Stick with the regular FSB, You'll need it for.....
- skip the removeable carry handle and go with a BUIS (ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=206233) that you like. You'll need this and your FSB, if the EOthingy fails, batteries die, ect.
- M4, LW, or mid-length is personal preference, but I reccommend CMMG and their sweet 1/7 barrels (ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=307921) or uppers (ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=287767).
- Stocks (ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=188153), again are personal preference, and there are new versions on the market weekly.
Then there's rail handguards, grips, VFG's and weapon lights. :D

leego
02-15-2006, 8:25 AM
I have exactly what you have, Colt Sporter Match HB. I went with a RRA flat top upper w/ M4 handguards. For optics, a 512 Eotech on a LaRue mount. The LaRue was not only for a lower co-witness, but also to extend the Eotech over the M4 handguards. I found that the YHM BUIS was solid enough to use as a backup. On the back end, I used a Vltor "clubfoot" stock.
I went with the RRA because the barrel had a 1-9 twist, since the 55g bullets are cheaper to shoot.
This is a sweet setup and the only drawback is the color match between the colt and RRA, not perfect, but a light oil coating will mask it.

Gunfighter01
02-15-2006, 6:19 PM
As i understand your post, you went with the M4 version, and not the Mid Length?..How is your sight radius with iron sights? Does you front post hinder your using the Eotech? Have you had any feeding or extraction problems with the RRA? I am leaning towards the RRA also, not only because of the 1/9 twist, but also the reputation. Did you have any problems with different size bolt holes on the take down pins? Is the color that far off?,,,,,, it seems everbodies rifle is the darker black, even the new colts are much darker. I would love to see a picture of your set up, to see if i want to do the same. If you would rather email then post a pic on the forum, my Email is Gunfighter01@aol.com P.S. BIG QUESTION,,, DID YOU NOTICE A SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE IN WEIGHT ON YOUR NEW VERSION?

leego
02-15-2006, 11:20 PM
email and pictures sent.

Leego