PDA

View Full Version : For **** sake! Quit saying "Hi-Cap!"

Stanze
02-14-2006, 5:23 PM
I cringe when I hear the word, "high capacity" magazine, even more than the word, "clip" used incorrectly. Both n00b mistakes IMO.

The term "High-Capacity magazine" implies that 10 rounds is the standard, and that "high" capacity is a bonus feature that anti-gun nazis of this once great state have deemed us untrustyworthy to purchase or acquire after the ban.:mad:

These are STANDARD capacity magazines people, saying "hi-cap", is just as bad as saying, "Assualt Weapon", "Saturday Night Special" or any other whack term, the anti-gunners concocted for us to dig our own graves with.

I'm not trying to act all high and mighty, but just think about what's being said, and ask if you're playing right into their hands. Don't let em' win your minds. Die standing up!

Am, I alone in this?

TonyM
02-14-2006, 5:25 PM
Am, I alone in this?

Nope...........

Charliegone
02-14-2006, 5:26 PM
Am, I alone in this?

No. Hi-cap is an anti-gunner word. We should just be calling them standard capacity magazines. I think it is the way the laws are written, is why people refer to them as "hi-cap." Shoot. We should be calling the 10rds low cap mags.:D

TonyM
02-14-2006, 5:29 PM
We should be calling the 10rds low cap mags.:D

I prefer Handi-Cap Mags.

GTKrockeTT
02-14-2006, 5:32 PM
i don't know, using CLIP when referring to a MAGAZINE bugs me much more.

shopkeep
02-14-2006, 5:36 PM
i don't know, using CLIP when referring to a MAGAZINE bugs me much more.

The use of CLIP instead of MAGAZINE is one of my top 5 pet peeves of all time. It drives me crazy!

As far as "high cap" goes, it is used by the anti-gun crowd to demonize the mags. It's only used by some in the pro-gun crowd to discuss the ammunition capacity of pre-ban magazines... meaning both pre-1994 AW ban mags and pre-1999 CA mags.

Keep in mind Magazines are much more heavily regulated through out the country than anything else. "High cap" mag bans are part of every blue state. Not surprisingly, SB-23 is now comming to IL and other locations. After 6 years others have deemed the ban to be "effective"... we'll just have to show 'em otherwise :D!

Rascal
02-14-2006, 5:48 PM
It doesn't upset me as much as someone typing "prolly" for probably, but I don't like it. Just my $0.02

6172crew
02-14-2006, 5:49 PM
Regular-cap mags sounds lame.

Standard-cap sounds lame

Low-cap is the ghey

10 rounder is OK

What should I call a magazine that has the abilty to hold more than liberals like?:cool:

caliar15
02-14-2006, 6:08 PM

Standard-cap sounds lame

Low-cap is the ghey

10 rounder is OK

What should I call a magazine that has the abilty to hold more than liberals like?:cool:
How about freedom mags:D

grammaton76
02-14-2006, 6:08 PM

Standard-cap sounds lame

Low-cap is the ghey

10 rounder is OK

I've been calling them full-cap mags for years, myself...

HEUER
02-14-2006, 6:09 PM
Too many young ones watching re-runs of the A Team. Magazine talk in general around here makes me cringe.

Matt C
02-14-2006, 6:11 PM
The use of CLIP instead of MAGAZINE is one of my top 5 pet peeves of all time. It drives me crazy!
Oh comon, get over yourselves. I have since learned how silly it is to confuse the two, and I grin when I hear someone do it, but in the army we did it all the time.

Rumpled
02-14-2006, 6:14 PM
Stanze,
I understand you loud and clear, and mostly agree. But, to be consistent with DOJ and CA lawspeak here in CA I generally use AW and hi-cap.

Ted - hope he wasn't grading you!

6172crew
02-14-2006, 6:33 PM
:p How about freedom mags:D

LOL

"hand me one of those freedom caps"

Fjold
02-14-2006, 6:36 PM
I always say "normal capacity" magazines.

leelaw
02-14-2006, 6:36 PM
You mean this ISN'T a high-cap banana clip for this assault weapon?

Shoot, I learn something new every day. :D

ADDICTEDto.223LOWERS
02-14-2006, 6:51 PM
whats wrong with clip? :confused:

colossians323
02-14-2006, 6:59 PM
I think they don't offer hi-cap clips, but if you shoot a garand, I bet you have lots of clips.
hi-cap
clip
High cap
klip
High Capacity
clipp
:D

383green
02-14-2006, 7:12 PM

"Clip" is most properly used to describe either a stripper clip which is used to speed loading of ammunition into a magazine (either fixed or detachable), or an en-bloc clip which is inserted into a magazine along with the ammunition.

A "magazine", on the other hand, is the spring-loaded thing that feeds rounds to the gun. It may be detachable (like on a non-neutered AR-15) or a permanent part of the gun (like on a bolt-action rifle, M1 Garand, etc.).

The word "clip" is very frequently misused (I'm guilty of that myself) to refer to a magazine.

ohsmily
02-14-2006, 7:18 PM

Clip is incorrect. Clips are what go into M1 Garands. They hold rounds for purpose of loading but don't have the feeding component ie a spring and follower like a magazine does.
There are regular clips like on an M1 Garand that are inserted into the magazine of the gun and there are also stripper clips which are intended to hold the ammunition which is then stripped off of the clip into the magazine of the gun...

but CLIPS ARE NOT MAGAZINES...that is what is wrong with CLIP...(it is what non-gun people and gangsters call them, and a few gun owners who don't know better)...as you can see, it is a pet peeve of ALOT of people...

by the way, all this is tongue in cheek...sort of...it is annoying, but not like anyone would yell at anyone about it (I don't think).

ghostrider4evr
02-14-2006, 7:24 PM
Heck, I usually just call them magazines or mags. If its a "low cap" mag I'll call it a 10 rounder or my fairy mag.

socalguns
02-14-2006, 7:27 PM
Read http://www.thegunzone.com/clips-mags.html
It certainly helped me sort it out

JHC
02-14-2006, 7:37 PM
Call them what you want, I think "banannna clip" when I see a curved mag and when I hear the word "magazine", I picture a room where all the bombs and missiles are stored and assembled.:)

phish
02-14-2006, 8:00 PM
Too many young ones watching re-runs of the A Team.

ROFLMAO :D

I think it was that episode where B.A. Barakus (sp) was hypnotized into falling asleep whenever somebody said "eclipse". They were in a firefight when Face yelled to B.A. :

"I need some clips!"
"what?!"
"Some clips!"
"WHAT?!"
"SOME CLIPS!"

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzz.........

What's even scarier was that I remember that episode even if it was 23 years ago. :o

+1, the 'cap horse has been beaten (6.02214 x 10^23) times already. :p

ohsmily
02-14-2006, 9:09 PM
Call them what you want, I think "banannna clip" when I see a curved mag and when I hear the word "magazine", I picture a room where all the bombs and missiles are stored and assembled.:)

Well, you can call it what you want too, but it is a magazine and banana only has 2 N's, not 4.

Mike Searson
02-14-2006, 9:18 PM
Only antis say "high caps".

10 round magazines are gay and I'm not into ***-specific magazines.

Can't give the damn things away either!

Creeping Incrementalism
02-14-2006, 9:29 PM
Remington sells "magazine clips"

http://www.remington.com/products/accessories/gun_parts/magazine_clips.asp

Stanze
02-14-2006, 10:54 PM
I prefer saying "standard capacity mags", or "over 10 round mags" as an alternative to Big Brother Doublespeak.:D

Clips load magazines, magazines load firearms.

blacklisted
02-14-2006, 11:04 PM
+1. Same here.

BTW In September 2004 I got into a "discussion" with a liberal professional acquaintance regarding the sunset of the Fed AWB. He refused to take my word that "high-capacity" magazines do not make a firearm into a machine gun. He wasn't open minded enough to accept my attempt at explanation, so I told him he was a ****ing moron and cut off the converstation.

What a 'tard. :mad:

People like that are the power base of the anti-gun groups.

zatoh
02-14-2006, 11:15 PM
What should I call a magazine that has the abilty to hold more than liberals like?

How about "free-caps"? as in unrestricted. Sort of like"freedom caps" as mentioned earlier. California mags you can call "hobbled caps" or "hob caps". Maybe get the term "hoplophobe" somewhere in there.

Rumpled
02-15-2006, 12:23 AM
Mike Searson
Yes you can.

phish
Did you have to bring Avogadro into it?

Old Fud
02-15-2006, 9:22 PM
What do you call a 10-round magazine stuffed into a single-stack 1911?
(and where can I buy some?)

Isn't that "excessive Capacity" loading? --- sometimes called "high cap"?

On the other hand, I am not pleased that I have to use 10-round magazines in my fat Beretta 92.

Just assuring you that I DO understand the frustration of the stupid laws.
But making the point that "High capacity magazines" has a valid application.

Fud

wolfsong
02-15-2006, 10:18 PM
Ain't nobody's damn business how many damn bullets are in my gun. :mad: Enough to take care of business, I'll guarantee. Wolfsong.

NeoWeird
02-16-2006, 4:26 AM
I rarely use "high capacity" outside of legal talk with someone (ie "that would be a high capacity mag according to the law"). I usually call them Factory mags to denote that they hold what the factory intended them to hold (as someone pointed out a 10 round 1911 single stack mag isn't high cap in the eyes of the law, but it holds more than factory spec). So I usually only refer to factory capacity magazines and will mention that there are mags that hold more than that; if the question of less than factory comes up I usually give a quick "yeah, because of gay laws" or something along those lines. Personally I am very comfortable with factory capacity.

Also, Freedom Mags sounds even gayer than high capcity if you ask me. We're American after all, not French.

Bling Bling 2.0
02-16-2006, 10:09 AM
The gauge here should be what comes with the rifle/pistol when it is purchased new from the factory. If a Glock comes with a standard 10 round magazine then a 11 round magazine is a high-capacity magazine regardless of legal designation. A 10 round 1911 magazine is a hi-cap as far as I'm concerned. My bushmaster came with a 30-rounder when I bought it, and that is pretty much standard anywhere but here.

rips31
02-16-2006, 11:54 AM
the 'cap horse has been beaten (6.02214 x 10^23) times already. :p
don't you mean the 'cap mole? :D

for me, whatever comes with the gun, in a red state, is 'standard.' anything less is 'clintonized.'

JHC
02-16-2006, 8:49 PM
don't you mean the 'cap mole? :D

for me, whatever comes with the gun, in a red state, is 'standard.' anything less is 'clintonized.'

If it is "Clintonized", wouldn't is be covered in gooey stuff?

gloxter
02-16-2006, 8:59 PM
When I say Hi-Cap it's usually when I address my Captain in the morning during briefing. Lighten up. If you really were concerned about negative portrayals regarding weaponry, we should concentrate our efforts on negating the use of "ASSAULT", particularly as it pertains to the anti-gun media.

I wonder what David Gregory thinks about the assault-gauge Cheney used against his friend in an attempt to overshadow the country's efforts in the sandbox.

Don't lose any sleep over it folks.

-gloxter

stealthmode
02-16-2006, 11:52 PM
i like the term full capacity also

blkA4alb
02-19-2006, 12:44 AM
to clear it all up, every gun has a magazine (except single shots and revolvers of course) the clip goes in the magazine, magazine in the gun. whether its removable or not it is still a magazine. even if in a gun like the ar-15 where there is no visable clip inside the magazine, i do believe the inside is called the clip. at least to my knowledge

markymark
02-19-2006, 2:45 AM
...(6.02214 x 10^23) ...
abogadro's #? it's been a long time since chem. :o

i just call them what i feel like calling them.