PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Here The Bigger Gun Nut Than The Guy?

Sajedene
04-02-2010, 5:02 PM
Hi ladies!

Anyone else here is - or come off as the bigger gun nut than their significant other? Like, I was the one who took my bf to the range for a date. I'm the one who owns a gun and I'm the one who is all over the Internet about it and am already saving up for my next gun as we speak.

I don't think its weird or wrong - but its also out of the ordinary.

Also, any tips on how to get the guy more into it? I see questions on how to get the girl into shooting but what about guys? I know the bf enjoyed the one time he went and he wants to go again - but I feel like he just wants to go because I do, since he knows how much I love it. It's sweet, but I want him to want to go because he wants to not because I want to. (gosh I re-read that and I hope it makes sense)

pax
04-02-2010, 6:52 PM
I probably qualify as being more enthusiastic than DH. I think that time is a big factor here, as well as prioritizing available time. Luckily in a strong relationship, it is not necessary to do everything together as a couple. But if you want to shoot as a couple, here are some suggestions: You already did the "shooting date", try taking different firearms classes together. Try different shooting events (Cowboy Action Shooting, IDPA, skeet) maybe something will appeal. Go to a gun show together. I dragged DH to the NRA Annual Members Meeting in Phoenix last year, he really enjoyed it! But if shooting isn't his cup of tea, don't push it.

Super Spy
04-02-2010, 7:55 PM
Sajedene, you have one lucky guy. I wish my lady was into guns......but she hates them.

Sajedene
04-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Aw she probably just hasn't met the right gun yet.

Pax: I totally agree. Me time is very important. I don't want to push him to doing anything he doesn't like. And so far, it seems like he enjoys going to the range. I guess his passion is just not as high as it is mine. But I will definitely try some of those suggestions -especially the events. Thank you!

cntrolsguy
04-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Hi ladies!

Anyone else here is - or come off as the bigger gun nut than their significant other? Like, I was the one who took my bf to the range for a date. I'm the one who owns a gun and I'm the one who is all over the Internet about it and am already saving up for my next gun as we speak.

I don't think its weird or wrong - but its also out of the ordinary.

Also, any tips on how to get the guy more into it? I see questions on how to get the girl into shooting but what about guys? I know the bf enjoyed the one time he went and he wants to go again - but I feel like he just wants to go because I do, since he knows how much I love it. It's sweet, but I want him to want to go because he wants to not because I want to. (gosh I re-read that and I hope it makes sense)

When it comes to a "Guy" there is not trick to get them more interested in guns. They either are or they aren't.

Sajedene
04-02-2010, 10:56 PM
When it comes to a "Guy" there is not trick to get them more interested in guns. They either are or they aren't.

Well he is. Just not as much as me, I feel like. He's been around guns more than I have because of his family and I have a feeling he is more into rifles - we'll see.

I'm at least happy he enjoys shooting. Even if his passion is lukewarm and mine is boiling at least there is something.

johnthomas
04-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Go down to big5, let him buy a mosin nagant, tell him how much better if would look if he could refinish it, explore sites on how to do it, after his first project is done, he will be hooked.
Here is a pic of a steel target 1/4 inch thick, hit at 75 yards. Near the hole is a dime and nickle.

Sajedene
04-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Thank you! I like the idea of a project. I think that will be fantastic!

Super Spy
04-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Have you triend any shooting sports? I just took an IPSC intro class and tried my first IDPA competition, later this month I'll try my first USPSA competition......Lots of fun, and far more engaging than paper targets. If your BF has any kind of competitive spirit that should get him hooked.

Sajedene
04-04-2010, 3:19 PM
Not yet. He is competitive but I definitely have the bigger competitive spirit. For now, as we try to get better, we'll be competing between each other. That is something we've joked about. But I am sure we'll be entering competitions sooner than we both think.

rromeo
04-04-2010, 3:35 PM
My wife isn't a bigger gun nut, but she has actually used guns for more than just killing paper.

Steyrlp10
04-06-2010, 6:35 AM
Me, me, me - lol The 1911 is the tool of his trade, but I introduced him to competitive shooting. I'm fishing a bass tournament as his partner this weekend; he's shooting on my team in two weeks.

You'd be really surprised, but there are many, many couples who put in a lot of range time together.

For us, it's the fun people we get to hang out with.

Tho_Sun
04-19-2010, 9:08 PM
My gf hated guns when we first started. I tried making her a recoiless big boomer in hopes of getting her into the sound and excitement but soon found it didn't interest her (STILL a bad *** gun, I'm so proud.)

So I took a step back and thought what she would like from a day out with me. So I found that the best way to get your significant other into the sport is cooperation! I built a easy 9mm rifle, nothing too extream, n took her out to burros. I tossed a bunch of potatoes onto the hill side and spray painted them red. Here's the fun part. You pass your partner the rifle and say "Here's a game, call a target and I'll spot for you. If you can take out 8 with 8 shots, you get a reward at home~" lol. So through out the game, you get to spot for them telling him/her if the shots are to the left/right etc al. Makes it feel like a couples thing and makes them feel like a champ when they see the potato blown to itty bitty pieces. Best part is when they nail it, everyone cheers.

Oh and if your a gun nut like I am, try to lay off the technical stuff. God knows I could go on and on, shooting ideas back and forth with the other shooting buddies I've met here at range meets, but for people not into guns like us, you might as well talk about water boiling. Oh and if he's one of those man's man, try not to show him up. Guys like that tend to like to be the hero. Personally, I think it's awesome when my lady out shoots me, but then again not everyone is the same.

Lastly, if he ends up enjoying the day out, invite him to make a rifle with you. I'm thinking about selling my 9mm ar to make a new one for my gf. Deep purple with paint splatters and maybe even a purple rose if I can find a good duracoater. Anyways, yea... maybe a project would spark up a interest. Going out testing the project rifle would be fun too~

Again, I know it's been said, but that guy is very lucky~

Sajedene
04-19-2010, 10:53 PM
:) We spent all weekend shooting. Fun times! He's a rifleman. That is what we have discovered.

Our anniversary is coming up. We will be hitting up the range :D

Thank you :) but I feel like the lucky one.

2Cute2Shoot
04-21-2010, 12:41 PM
All boys like guns :). You just have to bring it out of them!

tacticalcity
04-21-2010, 1:28 PM
Pretty sure all boys will like what ever the heck you want them to like. I'll sit through Mama Mia or Swan Lake without complaint if will make the woman I am dating at the time happy...both are pure torture.

I do think it is very cool that you are a gun nut and wish there were more like you. With any luck he'll become a full on gun nut as well. Congrats on the upcoming anniversary.

BHP FAN
05-03-2010, 2:08 PM
a lot of guys are recoil senitive,but don't want to admit it,because we're supposed to be macho.Let him shoot a 9mm carbine,or a .357 levergun loaded with .38's,or that old standby,the 10/22.he'll be hooked.

1911whore
05-06-2010, 2:10 PM
I wish I could find a woman that was actually in to shooting. Maybe that is why I am single:)

Steyrlp10
05-06-2010, 3:05 PM
I wish I could find a woman that was actually in to shooting. Maybe that is why I am single:)

That's why you're on Calguns -- repeat that in person when we have the Calguns dinner. I'm sure the available ladies will find you :)

Sajedene
05-06-2010, 6:53 PM
^^ That. And I know a lot of my friends and cousins who are fascinated / interested in shooting but would never be the one to initialize going to the range until I or someone else takes (drags) them there. Also, some who never even thought of shooting or owning a gun until they see me post pictures up and see how fun it looks then become interested and are now just looking for the invite.

mswanson223
05-06-2010, 8:34 PM
Does this mean that calguns will have a dating section? We could call it Gun Harmony.

8bitnintendo
05-06-2010, 8:40 PM
AK Cupid has better matching algorithms.

GunLover
06-10-2010, 12:28 PM
My cousin back east is about 30 and she is a gun nut. It is totaly backward. She has to hid things she buys from the husband who knows nothing about guns. She can bring home a Les Bauer and tell him it cost 300.00 and he believes her.

It reminds me of a club brother of mine told his wife he won his harley in a raffel that was held by my club. She believed her. The reall funny thing is he got the money from equity from his home and got the equity loan from the bank the wife works at. Now he has some balls.

Steyrlp10
06-10-2010, 1:51 PM
Does this mean that calguns will have a dating section? We could call it Gun Harmony.

Run that by Kes to open another section of the forums - lol

Steyrlp10
06-10-2010, 1:53 PM
It reminds me of a club brother of mine told his wife he won his harley in a raffel that was held by my club. She believed her. The reall funny thing is he got the money from equity from his home and got the equity loan from the bank the wife works at. Now he has some balls.

Yeah, until the IRS wants to know why the tax return doesn't match the 1098 that somehow never arrived in the mail.

GunLover
06-10-2010, 9:54 PM
Yeah, until the IRS wants to know why the tax return doesn't match the 1098 that somehow never arrived in the mail.

That was about 3 years ago. Anyway, He does all the bills and house stuff and she does about everything else. She never sees any bills and just signs on the dotted line during tax time.