PDA

View Full Version : SKS front sight removal

Pido11
02-14-2006, 2:50 PM
Just got a Yugo SKS, love the way it shoots. Does anybody knows how to take the front sight completely out. I am planning to shorten the barrel just a few inches. It just seem a little long for me. Was planning to get the paratrooper but it was hard to find and came across this one. Please any suggestion would help.

Stanze
02-14-2006, 3:08 PM
Just got a Yugo SKS, love the way it shoots. Does anybody knows how to take the front sight completely out. I am planning to shorten the barrel just a few inches. It just seem a little long for me. Was planning to get the paratrooper but it was hard to find and came across this one. Please any suggestion would help.

Try your question here: http://www.sksboards.com

grammaton76
02-14-2006, 5:25 PM
Try your question here: http://www.sksboards.com

*evilgrin* Yes, I agree you should post that question there. And follow it up with a bath in boiling oil to cool down afterwards.

Naw, they're not nearly as bad as many of the C&R forums out there.

railroader
02-14-2006, 9:55 PM
There are two pins to knock out then you can pound the front sight assembly off. How much are you going to cut off? The reason I ask is because the front sight assembly won't go back on farther up the barrel. The diameter is larger farther up. Here's a pic of my 59/66 that I chopped and replaced the front sight assembly with a russian one.http://img355.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mod59105cs.jpgMark

Kestryll
02-19-2006, 11:25 AM
I just found this thread, railroader that looks so clean and nice!
Does the Russian front sight fit the cut down barrel and how did you reset it?
Damn, I had just about sold myself on a Stevens 200 bolt action but now I think I want an SKS!

Rascal
02-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Kestryll,
A word of warning. Once you buy one, they will multiply. Cheap, great shooters and loads of fun. Can't have just one. :)

Railroader, That's a clean gun. Great job!

blkA4alb
02-19-2006, 11:47 AM
i love my sks, its a yugo like yours and its awesome. i replaced the stock with the sks dragunov stock. as soon as i get a red dot and mount for it i was planning on taking off the grenade launcher, flash "hider" (it doesnt do anything but make it legal and piss off the people next to me, not a good thing) and front sight. i can shoot about 3" groups at 100 yards with open sights:D

Rascal
02-19-2006, 12:01 PM
i love my sks, its a yugo like yours and its awesome. i replaced the stock with the sks dragunov stock.

I hope that you have added all the U.S.A. made parts to make it a U.S.A. made weapon or you will be in violation of FED Law 922(r), as the dragunov stock IS CONSIDERED a "non-sporting" feature.
Removing your SKS from it's original configuration voids it from C&R status and then is subject to 922(r) regulations.
U.S.A. made weapons are not subject to 922(r) regulations

blkA4alb
02-19-2006, 12:33 PM
er...no i havnt. i would say im fairly competant about the cali gun laws but didnt know about this one. so which parts would i have to replace with US ones to make it legal now?

Mesa Tactical
02-19-2006, 1:07 PM
er...no i havnt. i would say im fairly competant about the cali gun laws but didnt know about this one. so which parts would i have to replace with US ones to make it legal now?

Read this, it is definitely worth the time: http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html

It's actually very difficult to make a compliant SKS in California as one of the compliant parts is usually a detachable magazine, which we can't have.

Note that no one has ever been prosecuted for 922(r) violations. Personally, since we are in the business, we don't like taking any chances.

blkA4alb
02-19-2006, 1:14 PM
ah but my sks is a 10 round fixed magazine, loaded with stripper clips. not a detachable magazine.

Mesa Tactical
02-19-2006, 1:16 PM
ah but my sks is a 10 round fixed magazine, loaded with stripper clips. not a detachable magazine.

As is any other legal SKS in California.

Read that FAQ I posted.

Rascal
02-19-2006, 1:26 PM
It doesn't make any differance if it is a fixed mag or not.
922(r) is a Fedral law that does not allow certain "non-sporting" features on foreign made weapons.
The reason that you have 10 or less foreign made parts on your SKS is to make it a U.S.A. made rifle, so it IS NOT SUBJECT TO 922(r) regulations.
IF you change to following items with U.S.A. made parts, you will make your SKS a U.S.A. made rifle and no longer be subject to 922(r) regulations.

Here are the relevant parts in an SKS Carbine:

1. Receiver

2. Barrel

3. Bolt

4. Bolt carrier

5. Operating rod [aka: driving rod; aka: gas piston extension] U.S.A. made Tapco

6. Gas piston U.S.A. made Tapco

7. Trigger housing

8. Trigger

9. Hammer

10. Sear

11. Disconnector, bolt follower

12. Disconnector, rebound [aka: trigger mount arm]

13. Stock U.S.A. made

14. Handguard U.S.A. made

15. Magazine body U.S.A. made

16. Follower U.S.A. made

17. Floorplate U.S.A. made

blkA4alb
02-19-2006, 1:35 PM
hm, well your right. so how hard is it to get 10 parts made in the USA to make it exempt from 922 :confused: ? the stock should already count as one.

Rascal
02-19-2006, 1:45 PM
As is any other legal SKS in California.

Read that FAQ I posted.

ONLY an SKS with detatchable magazine is illegal in Kalifornia.
All others are fine.
Most SKS's are here because they are C&R, Only Chinese are not C&R.
The C&R SKS's have the bayonet and lug, night sites, and granade launcher, Kali modes either have a shield welded over the orginal GL or have a muzzle brake welded on. This is why they can have "non-sporting" features, because they have value in their original Military configuration.
If you change a C&R rifle from it's original configuration, it is no longer a C&R rifle and then falls under FED Law 922(r), which states that NO foreign made weapon may be imported into the U.S. with "non-sporting" features.

These are the "non-sporting" features.
1. Ability to accept a large capacity magazine

2. Folding/telescoping stocks

3. Separate pistol grips

4. Ability to accept a bayonet (bayonet mount)

5. Flash suppressors

6. Bipods

7. Grenade launchers

8. Night sights

If you have a foreign made rifle with any of these features, then you are in violation of 922(r)

Rascal
02-19-2006, 1:49 PM
hm, well your right. so how hard is it to get 10 parts made in the USA to make it exempt from 922 :confused: ? the stock should already count as one.

It's NOT 10 U.S.A. made parts, it's 10 or less FOREIGN parts.
You need 7 of those parts that I listed to be compliant.
The parts that I wrote U.S.A. made are parts that I know exsist and can be bought right now.

blkA4alb
02-19-2006, 1:56 PM
sorry to sound ignorant i just had no idea this law existed. well ill get right on making it legal again. thanks for your help though guys.

Rascal
02-19-2006, 2:06 PM
You can't learn if you don't ask.
Being a gun owner in Kali has taught me that I cannot just assume anything. Know the laws or loose your rights.

Mesa Tactical
02-20-2006, 5:44 AM
ONLY an SKS with detatchable magazine is illegal in Kalifornia.
All others are fine.

Er, re-read my post. That's what I was saying. Except California doesn't have a K in it.

crs1
02-20-2006, 2:14 PM
Check this out...

Very well done IMO...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=27707&highlight=sks

Sorry if its already been posted!

Rascal
02-20-2006, 4:23 PM
Er, re-read my post. That's what I was saying. Except California doesn't have a K in it.

I was agreeing with you. I like "K" in Kalifornia. :p :D

blkA4alb
02-22-2006, 5:51 PM
i was just at tapcos website and saw this awesome sks stock http://www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=STK66167T&back=yes&dept=20&last= but is it legal to have the pistol grip and collapsable stock with a fixed magazine? i know this but for some reason i cant think right now, and yes im ordering the 922 compliant parts to make mine legal again.:)

Mesa Tactical
02-23-2006, 5:00 AM
i was just at tapcos website and saw this awesome sks stock http://www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=STK66167T&back=yes&dept=20&last= but is it legal to have the pistol grip and collapsable stock with a fixed magazine? i know this but for some reason i cant think right now, and yes im ordering the 922 compliant parts to make mine legal again.:)

I have one of those stocks and tried it out (a year or so ago I was thinking of developing one myself). I was disappointed with the quality of the assembly, but then the challenge with making SKS accessories is they have to be super cheap or no one will buy them. So I guess I wasn't surprised by the shoddiness.

The set-up violates no California laws, but would indeed run afoul of 922. It's hard to make an SKS compliant in California, since a detachable magazine is usually one of the compliant parts. Because my SKSes are not compliant I took the stock off once I had tried it out. To my knowledge no one has ever been prosecuted for 922(r) violations, but since I'm in the business I'm a little paranoid. Every time I go to the range I see lots of SKSes with evil features on them (especially bipods). I doubt anyone really cares.