PDA

View Full Version : California Competition, Action Shooting, and Training (Non-Resident)

NSR500
04-02-2010, 4:08 PM
I was just looking at some threads about training and came upon this comment:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=3777786&postcount=29
Anyone outside CA can bring in their "evil" toys, SBRs, AW's etc for training in CA. As long as they take them back home after the course/class is over.
Magpul is in a free state, so they can own whatever.

I tried the search function to find more reference to this, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.
Can a non-resident come to train in California and use the following, really?

1. AW featured rifle/pistol/shotgun (No Magazine Locks)

2. Standard capacity magazines

3. NFA Items (Using just the BATFE request, but without needing a California request)

NiteQwill
04-02-2010, 5:00 PM
I've seen several out of state residents shoot 3 gun...

wildhawker
04-02-2010, 5:23 PM
What is common practice for major competitions and ignored (mainly due to LEOs being equally culpable), legally plausible by statute and advisable are all exclusive concepts.

bwiese
04-02-2010, 5:39 PM
Someone will get busted on this. People are making assumptions.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12280(m) PC. Subdivisions (a), and (b), and (c) shall not apply to the possession and importation of an
assault weapon or a .50 BMG rifle into this state by a nonresident if all of the following conditions are met:

(1) The person is attending or going directly to or coming directly from an organized competitive match or
league competition that involves the use of an assault weapon or a 50BMG rifle.

(2) The competition or match is conducted on the premises of one of the following:(A) A target range that holds a regulatory or business license
for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.

(B) A target range of a public or private club or organization that
is organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.
(3) The match or competition is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by, a law
enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes
education about, firearms.

(4) The assault weapon or 50BMG rifle is transported in accordance with Section 12026.1 or 12026.2.

(5) The person is 18 years of age or over and is not in a class of persons prohibited from possessing firearms
by virtue of Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "competiton exemption" is very murky, but clearly a "shoot" or "training" doesn't qualify - gotta be formal competition by a recognized entity (say, a CRPA or NRA match, IPSC, something like that - not the lower Hayward Roller Derby League Memorial Tin-Can Shoot.)

And most all 'training' is organized by the training and there's no real 'sponsor'. Combine that with the lack of a 'match' and it's going downhill fast.

IN ADDITION THE "COMPETITION EXEMPTION" ONLY REFERS TO AWs AND DOES NOT ALLOW IMPORTATION OF HICAP MAGS.

Out-of-staters coming directly to/from a legitimate, scheduled sanctioned match with no overnight stays or side shopping trips or visit to relatives might make it. It's certainly defendable, but I'd bet one bad traffic stop could put them in a world of hurt including bail and lawyer costs (and he may well not know about CGF).

"Training" DOES NOT COUNT. Even if it's cops. Remember, 12280(m) uses the phrase "all of the following". Missing one item makes it invalid.

I believe several trainers may well be way too loosey-goosey and coming into CA with unreg'd AWs. They think they're protected because they're training cops. And probably some of the cops there have unreg'd AWs.

ALSO THE ABOVE IS JUST FOR Calif-defined AWs. SBRs/MGs/SBSes/can laws in CA are even more strict.

bwiese
04-02-2010, 5:44 PM
I've seen several out of state residents shoot 3 gun...

Ask them how many felonies they committed that day.

NSR500
04-02-2010, 5:46 PM
Thanks Bill!

Wulf
04-02-2010, 6:20 PM
Of course if the competitor can reasonably claim that they had competed in the state (or been in the state for that matter) prior to the ban, their competition high caps would have been possessed in the state prior to the ban and so would be legal.

bwiese
04-02-2010, 6:33 PM
Of course if the competitor can reasonably claim that they had competed in the state (or been in the state for that matter) prior to the ban, their competition high caps would have been possessed in the state prior to the ban and so would be legal.

My experience with various CGF-associated matters is that unfortunately people friggin' talk when they should STFU in a stressful LE encounter/gun seizure. They forget everything and they do not handle themselves well (i.e, talk when questioned by LE).

NiteQwill
04-02-2010, 7:08 PM
Ask them how many felonies they committed that day.

Frankly, some of the folks I've encountered shooting competition [from out of state] flaunt the fact that we are hindered by the few RAWs or MMG-equipped rifles breezing the course. Even at the mere mention of them breaking the law (I wouldn't be the first), they shrug it off. :eek: Glad I'm not in the same car as them when they drive "home."