PDA

View Full Version : .50 BMG Reg

]-|-[ GunBomB
02-14-2006, 2:51 PM
Would anyone PM with an FFL that is willing to register a FAB-10 lower as a fifty? I've had my FAB since 2002, my FFL is only willing to get the Barrett
.416, but I just wanted to reg this lower for future's sake. I live in the Bay Area and would travel to get this done, I'm just hoping to find a local FFL. Thanks in advance to anyone that helps!!

EBWhite
02-14-2006, 3:04 PM
Yes, call the DOJ and they send you a registration card, fill it out and send it back. No need to visit an FFL.
Hurry, it ends around march i think.

383green
02-14-2006, 3:07 PM
FFLs don't register AWs or .50BMGs; you do that yourself. I don't think you need an FFL to do anything for you.

If you had the lower in CA before 1/1/05 and it's not an AW, then you should be able to register it before the registration cutoff (4/30/06 if I'm not mistaken). You just need the proper registration card, which can be ordered from DOJ.

Somebody please chime in if I've offered any bad information here.

bu-bye
02-14-2006, 3:20 PM
Just go down to the local dealer and ask for a 50BMG reg card. You take it home, fill it out yourself and write a $25 check out to the DOJ and mail it in. You do not need an FFL to do this. Like said above, you can request a form from the DOJ and they will send you one. I just pickd up my form for my FAB-10 at my local dealer. No money for a 50BMG upper yet but there is no reason to miss the boat. I just know that as soon as the red period ends I'll somehow get the money for a nice upper. Thats the way it always works out, and trust me, after the 2000 AW ban I know all to well.

Rascal
02-14-2006, 4:13 PM
Don't forget that you have to put your fingerprint on the card.

Rumpled
02-14-2006, 4:59 PM
Just got mine back from DOJ.
Rolling your own fingerprint is just fine, mine was accepted.

]-|-[ GunBomB
02-14-2006, 5:17 PM
Just go down to the local dealer and ask for a 50BMG reg card. You take it home, fill it out yourself and write a $25 check out to the DOJ and mail it in. You do not need an FFL to do this. Like said above, you can request a form from the DOJ and they will send you one. I just pickd up my form for my FAB-10 at my local dealer. No money for a 50BMG upper yet but there is no reason to miss the boat. I just know that as soon as the red period ends I'll somehow get the money for a nice upper. Thats the way it always works out, and trust me, after the 2000 AW ban I know all to well.

So should I call a dealer for the reg cards or will they all have them? I'd rather not rely on the DOJ to get the cards, but if that is the best way, so be it.

bu-bye
02-14-2006, 5:20 PM
-|-[ GunBomB']So should I call a dealer for the reg cards or will they all have them? I'd rather not rely on the DOJ to get the cards, but if that is the best way, so be it.

You can call to see if they have them before you drive down but the DOJ should have sent them out to the FFL's.

GTKrockeTT
02-14-2006, 5:33 PM
most dealers i've inquired with do not have them, or have run out. contact the DOJ, they won't bite.

DRM6000
02-14-2006, 5:34 PM
sorry if this question is slightly off topic, but i have a couple of fab10's and if reg'd as .50bmg's, could i still use them with .223 uppers?

i have a serbu and a ferret 50 receiver and i may not feel so bad if i don't build them up if i can register the fab10's.

btw, i got my card from marin firearms in novato if that helps anyone.

Rumpled
02-14-2006, 6:09 PM
You could still use them as .223 or any other caliber. You must realize that there are different laws regarding storage, use and transportation of registered AW's. If you had more than one FAB10, you might not want to register all of them.

383green
02-14-2006, 6:51 PM
You could still use them as .223 or any other caliber. You must realize that there are different laws regarding storage, use and transportation of registered AW's. If you had more than one FAB10, you might not want to register all of them.

Also note that "assault weapon" and ".50 BMG rifle" are two different things in the CA laws (although most of the same restrictions apply to each). In other words, registering your lower as a .50 BMG rifle does not mean that it's now a registered assault weapon, and thus can have a detachable magazine and other "evil" features.

]-|-[ GunBomB
02-14-2006, 8:32 PM
So it will remain a long rifle until I physically attach the .50 BMG upper? A fab10 will not be considered a .50 bmg by anyone if it has a .223 upper on it, correct?

Rumpled
02-15-2006, 12:05 AM
If you register it, that lower will always have to comply with .50 BMG restrictions; no matter what upper you have on it at any given time.