PDA

View Full Version : Pre-owned full capicity mags on new lower.

SSDriver
02-14-2006, 2:38 PM
Before they banned full capacity magazines I purchased as many that I could get my hands on. Would it be legal for me to assemble one of these mags on my newly aquired off-list lowers and permanitly attach it with the use of a tool. Thanks.

Deuce22
02-14-2006, 2:39 PM
As long as you mean the mags you are looking to do this with only hold 10 max. Then by all means go ahead.

SSDriver
02-14-2006, 2:41 PM
As long as you mean the mags you are looking to do this with only hold 10 max. Then by all means go ahead.

If you notice I used the terms "full capacity" so I obviously wasn't refering to only 10 rounds ;). Is there something I'm missing? I legally purchased the mags before they were banned. Are these mags now useless to me?

EBWhite
02-14-2006, 2:47 PM
According to prior posts, that is legal to do as you owned them before the ban. so the answer for now is a quiet yes, but wait for others to chime in.

jeffrice6
02-14-2006, 2:47 PM
I think you are good to go.:)

SSDriver
02-14-2006, 2:48 PM
Right now I have the rifle built with a BM 10 rnd mag to be on the safe side. Last thing I want to do is loose my rights as a gun owner over breaking a rediculous law.

TKo_Productions
02-14-2006, 2:48 PM
If you notice I used the terms "full capacity" so I obviously wasn't refering to only 10 rounds ;). Is there something I'm missing? I legally purchased the mags before they were banned. Are these mags now useless to me?

That would be illegal. You risk the possibility of being charged with illegal manufacturer of an assault weapon if you were to do so.

The law defines semiautomatic centerfire rifles with fixed magazines that have the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds as "assault weapons."

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:

(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

Deuce22
02-14-2006, 2:50 PM
You can not use "full cap" mags with even 1 "evil feature" If you have no evil things on your gun then there is no need to pin a mag in. If you have even 1 evil item ...a ten round "fixed" mag is all you can use at this time.

SSDriver
02-14-2006, 2:51 PM
Ok well that answers my question. I guess there only good for su-16's as of right now(refuse to buy one of those POS).

PIRATE14
02-14-2006, 3:18 PM
Ok well that answers my question. I guess there only good for su-16's as of right now(refuse to buy one of those POS).

Pretty crazy u can get a keltec and blast away but don't get over 10 rds in self-loading lower rcvr.......

grammaton76
02-14-2006, 3:44 PM

Eh, the A and B are kinda POS'es, but you should get a look at the CA version. Regardless, there's the Sig 556 and some other nifty rifle they were talking about recently on here, which accept AR mags.

You'd be well advised to sit tight on the mags for the time being; as others have observed, our protection from the "assault weapn" category with pinned mags only works if the mag capacity is 10 or less. Maybe eventually you can unpin the mag...

ldivinag
02-14-2006, 3:51 PM
save you full cap mags for that "rainy" day...

range time? 10 rounders will do...

Super_tactical
02-14-2006, 4:03 PM
I have the SU-16B.

Not a bad gun. I wouldn't take it into combat, but it's a perfect plinker.

odysseus
02-14-2006, 4:04 PM
Me thinks many here are not getting the idea of what is in the FAQ and countless threads here. Why is it hard to understand? Why are some people so eager to push the envelope as early as possible to use bullet-as-a-tool mag locks and high-cap mags locked into these new off-list lowers?

Hey - I guess someone has to give someone else the precedent in case law. :rolleyes:

fuddle
02-14-2006, 5:39 PM
I believe that this applies from 12276.1:
(a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

Therefore, I don' think that you should do it.

Spdjunkie
02-14-2006, 6:03 PM
IMO -

Lower is currently registered to you as a long gun with only "intent" is to have a fixed ten round magazine. Therefore adding a "FULL Pre-ban Capacity Magazine would cancel out the "fixed" portion that keeps it from being a AW, of course being that you have "evil features, smiple LPK". When/if, cross fingers, praying, - updated list comes out then use of the "full-capicity" mags would be okay once registration card comes back. Then toss that bolt and "FREEDOM" Since your lower is then registered as a AW allowing, hopefully, use of "FREEDOM" mags. ;)

** At work, excuse anything I left out. Love this site. Got to go.

- BOTTOMLINE - WAIT !!!!!!!!!!!

Justang
02-14-2006, 6:12 PM
It's illegal. Otherwise every Cali SKS would have a 20rd star magazine on it.

metalhead357
02-15-2006, 12:50 AM
It's illegal. Otherwise every Cali SKS would have a 20rd star magazine on it.

+1 GREAT Post & without all the verbage:rolleyes:

If you REALLY want the detachable mag...then NO SB23 characteristics AND NO PISTOL GRIP..................