PDA

View Full Version : AR Front Sights and Optics

ArmedBear
02-14-2006, 1:29 PM
One thing I haven't seen much of here is a discussion of front sight options.

Some vendors (LMT, M&A) offer removable front sights; many offer Picatinny gas blocks.

If I want a flattop with a reflex sight but also want the option to put on a good ol' fashioned carry handle, how important is it to get a removable or flip-up front sight of one sort or another?

Traditional front sights appear to be more readily available (giving me more vendor options) and cheaper (always a good thing -- I really didn't have the money to buy those lowers to begin with). Do they get in the way?

elmo
02-14-2006, 2:09 PM
if you will run an aimpoint or eotech, might be best to go with a flip up front sight as it's less distracting. nevertheless, ido not find the front sight to be distracting at all using my eotech. you do want a flip up rear sight though.

it comes down to taste. You're asking a question that varys so much on opinion. Mine is stick with the standard front sight.

BigAL
02-14-2006, 2:16 PM
I run the standard front sight with my Aimpoint and have no distraction problems. You should be looking over the front sight. I also run a lower 1/3 cowitness so the front sight profile isn't as great.

bwiese
02-14-2006, 2:29 PM
I have used ACOG 4X scopes, an Elcan 3.4X scope, and an Aimpoint with a conventional fixed front sight base - and this is not an irritant.

For the magnified scopes, there is only a slight fuzzy area at the very bottom of the viewed image. For the Aimpoint, you're co-witnessed anyway (or maybe you wanna run the red dot a bit higher than the irons, personal choice and sight base is irrelevant as it's 1:1 so you'd be seeing a sight base without the Aimpoint, too).