PDA

View Full Version : Opinion of LMT Lowers???

jp.cherokee
02-14-2006, 11:39 AM
Newby looking for some info. I am looking at a LMT lower to purchase through a SOCAL dealer. What is your opinion of the LMT lowers and LMT uppers?
Thanks,
Sean

Jeff Rambo
02-14-2006, 11:56 AM
At this point a lower is a lower is a lower. I would jump on it while you can and then afterwards once you have at least one, worry about selection.

Friday's are always regarded as the potential days for a ban, so you have three days to get the DROS started on a lower without worry... ideally.

ArmedBear
02-14-2006, 1:05 PM
Lauer Custom lowers (aka LMT, AFAIK) are good lowers. They look, well, exactly the same as the other lowers. I think the Lauer finish is a bit better than some of the others. If anything, they're a top choice.

Rascal
02-14-2006, 3:04 PM
LMT (Lewis Machine & Tools) is not the same as Lauer Custom lowers.
LMT does not sell stripped lowers, but Lauer does. If you don't have one by this point in time, you shouldn't be too picky. Almost all the lowers available are comparable to each other, and all are very good.

Justang
02-14-2006, 5:06 PM
LMT does not sell stripped lowers, but Lauer does. If you don't have one by this point in time, you shouldn't be too picky. Almost all the lowers available are comparable to each other, and all are very good.

LMT cuts the Lauers.

Rascal
02-14-2006, 7:53 PM
Thanks Justang!
I just learned something new today. :)

Justang
02-14-2006, 8:09 PM
Thanks Justang!
I just learned something new today. :)

No Prob...
Some more info... Stag is cut by CMT.

And both the Stag and Lauers are forged by the same company.

I was told this by CWS, then have read it numerous places. But I've never read the company that forges them. If anybody knows, I'm very curious.

And in all honesty, most lowers are gonna be great. With technology in forging and CNC advanced as it is, most lowers will be top quality. I chose my lowers because I like LMT.

subroutine
02-14-2006, 8:43 PM
At this point a lower is a lower is a lower. I would jump on it while you can and then afterwards once you have at least one, worry about selection.

Friday's are always regarded as the potential days for a ban, so you have three days to get the DROS started on a lower without worry... ideally.

never heard this, but then again i'm new. when they implement a new "ban" does that mean that anyone who doesn't have on presently is SOL?....even if they are in state? so if one guy in CA has one then he can't transfer it to another guy, or is there still a grace period..........?

when is the motly likely time for the next ban?

subroutine
02-14-2006, 8:50 PM
how does lauer compare to stag?

Justang
02-14-2006, 8:51 PM
never heard this, but then again i'm new. when they implement a new "ban" does that mean that anyone who doesn't have on presently is SOL?....even if they are in state? so if one guy in CA has one then he can't transfer it to another guy, or is there still a grace period..........?

Yes, you have to own the lower before the ban is in place.

The ban can happen at any time. We don't know when it's going to happen. The DOJ said 2weeks back in December.

Justang
02-14-2006, 8:59 PM
how does lauer compare to stag?

Virtually the same.

subroutine
02-14-2006, 9:09 PM
Yes, you have to own the lower before the ban is in place.

The ban can happen at any time. We don't know when it's going to happen. The DOJ said 2weeks back in December.

'nother question. to technically own the lower, does that just mean you have to have DROS'd it or do you have to actually have it in your possession?....when you DROS it, does that included documentation of the serial number?.....

also, when they are banned, can one person in CA transfer a banned AW to another, or are you stuck w/ it for life?

Jeff Rambo
02-14-2006, 9:14 PM

Once the ban comes, no you will not be able to transfer it to another person. You and any other party it is registered to is stuck with it, unless it is sold/moved out of state.

You need to have initiated the DROS process on the lower before the ban is implemented. So if you DROS tonight and the ban happens tomorrow, you are safe since precedent says taht the lower (or any other firearm for the matter) is yours once you DROS it, not when you pick it up after the ten day wait period. Furthermore, there is no serial number required on the DROS (which is sent to the DOJ), but only on the 4473 (which is kept at the FFL for federal records).

As far as there being a grace period, we do not know that. There may be (memo to FFLs: "you are to stop sales on lower receivers by 12:01AM 2/18/2006.") or there may not be (memo to FFLs: "you are immediately to stop all sales on lower receivers.") Time will soon tell.

Justang
02-14-2006, 9:14 PM
'nother question. to technically own the lower, does that just mean you have to have DROS'd it or do you have to actually have it in your possession?....when you DROS it, does that included documentation of the serial number?.....

also, when they are banned, can one person in CA transfer a banned AW to another, or are you stuck w/ it for life?

You just have to start the dros. No long arm dros include serial number.

Once banned the receiver is yours forever. You cannot transfer it within the state of California once it is banned.

xenophobe
02-15-2006, 1:24 AM

As you've been told... LMT makes lower receivers for Lauer. They've also make them for a number of other manufacturers, though I couldn't get Angela @ LMT to tell me who else they cut them for, she only said that the list of companies that buy from them would probably surprise me.

Lauer uses Duracoat to finish their receivers. LMT does not. I'm not sure what they use, but I'm sure if you called they would tell you.

PIRATE14
02-15-2006, 10:46 PM
No Prob...
Some more info... Stag is cut by CMT.

And both the Stag and Lauers are forged by the same company.

I was told this by CWS, then have read it numerous places. But I've never read the company that forges them. If anybody knows, I'm very curious.

And in all honesty, most lowers are gonna be great. With technology in forging and CNC advanced as it is, most lowers will be top quality. I chose my lowers because I like LMT.

LMT forges their own LMT, and Lauer

CMT forges for RRA and Stag

Similar in many ways -
Coatings different ...

:)

CWS

Justang
02-15-2006, 11:05 PM
LMT forges their own LMT, and Lauer

CMT forges for RRA and Stag

Similar in many ways -
Coatings different ...

:)

CWS

Hmm, maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. oh well... thanks for the clarification.

jp.cherokee
02-16-2006, 10:58 AM

WOOHO, just DROS (10:32 am) my LMT lower receiver with detatched (for shipping) SOPMOD stock. COOL, now I have half a gun:confused: Time to start saving for the other half I guess...:cool:

Hillbillly
02-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Continental Machine & Tool
533 John Downey Drive
New Britain, CT 06051

Stag
515 John Downey Dr.
New Britain, CT 06051

Separated by less than 175 ft

Just adding to the proof!
http://www.newbritainchamber.com/PositivelyNB.pdf

CMT started Stagg Arms.

6172crew
02-16-2006, 3:21 PM
The forgings all come from 3 places, Alcoa and 2 others.....anyone?:rolleyes:

Just wanted to sound smart, I dont know the other 2.:)

CMMG looks close to DPMS as they have a paint type finish.

xenophobe
02-16-2006, 6:10 PM
The forgings all come from 3 places, Alcoa and 2 others.....anyone?:rolleyes:

Just wanted to sound smart, I dont know the other 2.:)

CMMG looks close to DPMS as they have a paint type finish.

Smith & Wesson probably makes their own now, since they have their own foundry and have been producing rough forgings for a number of handgun manufacturers though I'm not sure if they'll sell their unfinished AR forgings to others, it's altogether possible.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&content=33310&sectionId=10002

I found this on the net:

AF – Alcoa Forge
AH – Anchor Harvey
Bird – Cardinal Forge
Keyhole – Cerro Metal Products