PDA

View Full Version : Target practice on Nation Forrest?

mif_slim
04-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Okay, I think I've read this question somewhere, but I tried the search engine with really no results (maybe Im typing the wrong keywords?).

Can you target practice in natino forrest? like say, I hiked some 3 miles into no where...I place a target and fire away. legal or not? I tried to contact LE's but some dont even know what their talking about. As long as they hear "shoot" and "guns" they automatically say NO.

Bearclaw
04-02-2010, 10:28 AM
It's legal as long as it is not in an area specifically designated as "no shoot zone". Also, all the normal rules apply....not close to buildings, no shooting across roads, etc.

mif_slim
04-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Another question, can I carry a rifle thru shotgun/bow only zone to hunt in a diffrent zone? Given that I have it incased and all. The area I want to hunt in has a 60yard zone where its shotgun/bow only and past that its nation forrest..if not, I have to drive 1 hour around to get to the spot and hike another mile or two to get to where I want to hunt...these rules sucks dont they?! grr..

hnoppenberger
04-02-2010, 10:47 AM
guys, comon. the rules arent that up tight with game wardens. they all seem to be spirit of the law. You should be fine walking through a zone to get to were you gotta go. if you see a warden, which you will not, he may ask you what your doing, and understand.
Ive had them tell me i can hunt centerfire rifle in areas that are shotgun only for target shooting. you are no longer shooting, you are hunting.

olhunter
04-02-2010, 5:22 PM
From the Angeles National Forest web page...

"Target shooting is prohibited outside of designated shooting areas. Two concessionaire-operated shooting areas are located within the Angeles National Forest. These are fee areas under Special Use Permit with the Forest Service, and are the only designated shooting areas within the Angeles National Forest."

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/recreation/hunt-shoot.shtml

The two designated sites are Burro Canyon and A Place to Shoot.

Check the web page of whichever NF you're thinking of target shooting in.

jawbreaker
04-02-2010, 5:58 PM
There is a place in the CNF in Ramona that is designated for shooting also. There are usually signs on the roads int the NF that say no shooting unless in the lawfull pursuit of game.

5shot
04-02-2010, 9:47 PM
Designated shooting (target) areas in San Bernardino Forest
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/recreation/target/

LloydXmas250
04-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Designated shooting (target) areas in San Bernardino Forest
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/recreation/target/

I shoot there on Forest Rd 1N09. You know if they've opened it back up since it closed in February?

gotime
04-03-2010, 6:49 PM
^^ The 330 is closed until June. I've never shot there, but I've seen it on a map and I'm pretty sure the 330 is the only way to get to it, unless you want to hoof it from Highland.

spectr17
04-03-2010, 8:38 PM
I shoot there on Forest Rd 1N09. You know if they've opened it back up since it closed in February?

A couple weeks ago the range was open but they had the gate locked up top by the highway. Some shooters are walking in to use the range. 1/2 mile walk I'd guess.

LloydXmas250
04-04-2010, 12:31 AM
A couple weeks ago the range was open but they had the gate locked up top by the highway. Some shooters are walking in to use the range. 1/2 mile walk I'd guess.

It's actually two. That's what's posted and if you shoot before that two mile mark you will get cited. I measured it out with an odometer and once saw these guys getting a ticket for shooting at 1.8 miles. Hopefully 1N09 will be open by the time they re-open the 330.

Hunt
04-04-2010, 11:44 PM
There is a place in the CNF in Ramona that is designated for shooting also. There are usually signs on the roads int the NF that say no shooting unless in the lawfull pursuit of game.

the way I understand it is most the NF is hunting only no target shooting unless authorized shooting area. Same with BLM land in SoCa maybe a little more lenient in some of the remote BLM areas. The NF in San Diego has so many users that if you pop off more than a few rounds you would probably have a police call in for you.

spectr17
04-05-2010, 12:36 AM
Lloyd, I'll see if I can get a response from SBNF why the closure is still in place at 1N09 and when they expect it to open. Just curious what them citations for illegal shooting in the NF are running. Anyone know?

I'll also bring it up at the next San Bernardino Co Fish & Game Commission meeting to see if they can get NF to open up that range again. With Inland Fish & Game range still closed there aren't any ranges to shoot legally unless you head west to Lytle Creek Or Burro Canyon.

330 being closed is a PITA too.

LloydXmas250
04-05-2010, 7:52 AM
Lloyd, I'll see if I can get a response from SBNF why the closure is still in place at 1N09 and when they expect it to open. Just curious what them citations for illegal shooting in the NF are running. Anyone know?

I'll also bring it up at the next San Bernardino Co Fish & Game Commission meeting to see if they can get NF to open up that range again. With Inland Fish & Game range still closed there aren't any ranges to shoot legally unless you head west to Lytle Creek Or Burro Canyon.

330 being closed is a PITA too.

Thanks. It is pretty hard to drive to Lytle Creek when the shooting area is so much closer and free. I called back in early February about the road and they gave me the run-a-round about when it will be open and never gave me an answer.

mif_slim
04-05-2010, 11:49 AM
I've checked around Soquia and Kings Canyon National Forrest and they didnt say aynthing about designated shooting range... does that mean its okay to shoot?

5shot
04-05-2010, 1:51 PM
Thanks. It is pretty hard to drive to Lytle Creek when the shooting area is so much closer and free. I called back in early February about the road and they gave me the run-a-round about when it will be open and never gave me an answer.

SB Forest is not involved in the road closure. The 330 was closed by Cal-Trans FROM HIGHLAND AVE /IN SAN BERNARDINO/ TO 2 MI WEST OF RUNNING
SPRINGS. A water culvert is not handling the larger then normal amount of rain and snow we've gotten this season. So the roadway has been flooding, which causes dangerous ice patches.
Repairs/modifications are being done by Cal-Trans, and 330 is scheduled to be opened on June 18th.

spectr17
04-05-2010, 5:01 PM
Just so we're clear, Lloyd and I are talking about the 1N09 NF road closure that was closed before hwy 330 was closed. Shooters were having to walk 2 miles into the range at Manzanita Flats BEFORE 330 closed.

LloydXmas250
04-05-2010, 7:25 PM
It bugs me because sooner that later we'll be in "fire season" and they'll close that area to shooting and we can't go now when it is open. I understand if they only have so much resources for maintenance and can't afford to fix it but it is not much fun at all. Bills from the ranges are getting a bit big.

5shot
04-06-2010, 12:59 AM
It bugs me because sooner that later we'll be in "fire season" and they'll close that area to shooting and we can't go now when it is open. I understand if they only have so much resources for maintenance and can't afford to fix it but it is not much fun at all. Bills from the ranges are getting a bit big.

The SBNF is always going to be hit and miss. In dry years there will be some closures due to fire danger. In wet years there will be road damage and erosion that will cause some closures.
After fires there will be some closures to allow for regrowth of the forest. And then the next rainy season usually causes some erosion, mudslides, and road damage.
But normally, as long as the whole forest isn't closed there will be a few designated shooting areas open. They may not be the closest one's to you, but free shooting areas in all the So. Cal counties are pretty rare.
If you don't mind the drive, the desert areas of SB Co are probably your best bet. There's just about never any closures, and there's a lot of wide open spaces

LloydXmas250
04-06-2010, 6:54 AM
The SBNF is always going to be hit and miss. In dry years there will be some closures due to fire danger. In wet years there will be road damage and erosion that will cause some closures.
After fires there will be some closures to allow for regrowth of the forest. And then the next rainy season usually causes some erosion, mudslides, and road damage.
But normally, as long as the whole forest isn't closed there will be a few designated shooting areas open. They may not be the closest one's to you, but free shooting areas in all the So. Cal counties are pretty rare.
If you don't mind the drive, the desert areas of SB Co are probably your best bet. There's just about never any closures, and there's a lot of wide open spaces

Yeah. I've been driving to the desert as well but like you said, it's a but of a drive. I've been going north if the 58 to be able to shoot rifles. Does anyone know what the regulations on shotgun/rifle use are in the lower deserts around Palm Springs, Yucca Valley and 29 Palms?

Bearclaw
04-06-2010, 3:14 PM
I've checked around Soquia and Kings Canyon National Forrest and they didnt say aynthing about designated shooting range... does that mean its okay to shoot?

I'm not sure. I hunt there almost every deer season, but never gone just to target shoot...it's too far from me. But there is a USFS Ranger station in Porterville that I drive right by everytime I go up there. I'll see if I can dig up there phone number, or you can probably get it from the USFS website. I'd call them since it is the closest ranger station.

spectr17
04-06-2010, 6:44 PM
Lloyd, you can shoot rifles on BLM land east of hwy 62 out by Desert Hot Springs. We just tuck into those canyons back there. Bout a 45 minute ride from Redlands. If you're not sure where to go you can stop by Condor Guns and he can point you the right way. If you're wanting to head out there this weekend give me a holler, I've got a .22 I need to sight back in. I can also show you another spot that is 30 mins away.

64895 Pierson Boulevard, Desert Hot Spgs - (760) 329-6608
http://condorgun.com/

echo1
04-07-2010, 6:27 AM
Most NF and BLM managed areas north of Bakersfield allow shooting. There can be seasonal/temporary restrictions. Check with the District Ranger for the area you want to visit before you go.

LloydXmas250
04-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Lloyd, you can shoot rifles on BLM land east of hwy 62 out by Desert Hot Springs. We just tuck into those canyons back there. Bout a 45 minute ride from Redlands. If you're not sure where to go you can stop by Condor Guns and he can point you the right way. If you're wanting to head out there this weekend give me a holler, I've got a .22 I need to sight back in. I can also show you another spot that is 30 mins away.

64895 Pierson Boulevard, Desert Hot Spgs - (760) 329-6608
http://condorgun.com/

I'll keep that place in mind and try it out. Wish I could this weekend but I've got a bunch of backed-up plans regarding a wedding and cleaning that's I've been putting off. Maybe next time.