PDA

View Full Version : Instead of "Microstamping"..

Falstaff
04-02-2010, 9:42 AM
Every new pistol comes with an empty shell casing. What happens to the test bullet fired from that casing? Couldnt they just save it, put it in a bag with the serial number of the gun it came from and give that to the boffers for their ballistic database?

Merc1138
04-02-2010, 9:59 AM
Every new pistol comes with an empty shell casing. What happens to the test bullet fired from that casing? Couldnt they just save it, put it in a bag with the serial number of the gun it came from and give that to the boffers for their ballistic database?

They already do that in one state don't they? Although it doesn't amount to anything because it's too easy to make a change to a firearm to alter how it marks the bullet anyway, can't prove anything with it. Most of the crap you see on CSI, NCIS, etc is nonsense.

SixPointEight
04-02-2010, 10:04 AM
LOL at looking at the rifling and knowing what gun specifically it came out of. You could likely tell what KIND of gun it came out of, but I highly doubt rifling is as "like fingerprints" as TV makes it seem.

One kid was so convinced about it that he tried to tell me each shotgun patterns a specific way, so if you shoot someone, they look at the pattern, and can trace it to your shotgun. I was just like...dude....go home.

Flopper
04-02-2010, 10:09 AM

This is a horrible idea, and the kind that we used to put up with as a "compromise," which only led to the mess we're in right now.

Maryland does this stupid-*** practice, and it has never solved a crime.

Are you proposing this because you're worried about micro-stamping? Please do some searching; microstamping will almost assuredly never happen.

ZombieTactics
04-02-2010, 10:11 AM
... it's too easy to make a change to a firearm to alter how it marks the bullet anyway, can't prove anything with it. Most of the crap you see on CSI, NCIS, etc is nonsense.
Yep, fun nonsense, but nonsense nonetheless. The marking profile of a handgun barrel is just far too inconsistent to be dispositive, even under fairly ideal circumstances. Simply cleaning the barrel will alter the profile in many cases. About all you can determine is caliber and weapon type. Sometimes you're lucky and get an exact match for rifle markings, but this is more a "happy accident" than a common occurance.

Bill Carson
04-02-2010, 10:14 AM
500 rounds down the tube will change the striations on slugs fired

demnogis
04-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Rifling-identifying techniques also do not take into account if/when you change a barrel due to it being worn or damaged. Just like any metal material they wear over time and need to be replaced.

Dr Rockso
04-02-2010, 12:02 PM

Last I heard Maryland's state police were actually lobbying to get rid of the ballistics fingerprinting law on the basis that it costs way too much money and they've never used it to solve a crime.

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=97&issue=078

Merc1138
04-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Yep, fun nonsense, but nonsense nonetheless. The marking profile of a handgun barrel is just far too inconsistent to be dispositive, even under fairly ideal circumstances. Simply cleaning the barrel will alter the profile in many cases. About all you can determine is caliber and weapon type. Sometimes you're lucky and get an exact match for rifle markings, but this is more a "happy accident" than a common occurance.

Yeah, makes for entertaining TV, that's about it. Same thing as the "quick, load up that poor resolution image, enhance, enhance, enhance, now apply some filters, enhance, magnify, enhance, alright now we can see the contents of that duffel bag based on the outline!"

Cnynrat
04-02-2010, 12:32 PM
They already do that in one state don't they?

Yes, I believe a requirement for getting a handgun permit in NJ is that the local LE agency takes a sample bullet fired from your handgun. Crazy.

ZombieTactics
04-02-2010, 12:45 PM
... Same thing as the "quick, load up that poor resolution image, enhance, enhance, enhance, now apply some filters, enhance, magnify, enhance, alright now we can see the contents of that duffel bag based on the outline!"
My other favorite (and keep in mind I am an audio engineer among other things) is how they can always load up a phone recording, instantly filter out anything they want leaving only the "clue background sound" that identifies the warehouse where the hostage is being held, etc.

And then on 24 (for instance) how they can instantly pull up a complete 3-D "schematic" of any building identifying any particular feature they want ... wiring diagrams, plumbing lines, etc.

Damn! I wants me THAT software, I am tellin' you!

todd2968
04-02-2010, 2:05 PM
Your all a bunch of buzz kills. You mean I can't get a job where all I do is shoot random guns into ballistic jell?

JDay
04-02-2010, 3:11 PM
They already do this in New Jersey and it hasn't solved any crimes.

Merc1138
04-02-2010, 3:32 PM
Your all a bunch of buzz kills. You mean I can't get a job where all I do is shoot random guns into ballistic jell?

Gel now? What happened to the water tank?

loather
04-02-2010, 7:11 PM
The water tank is replaced with a bead bin in a lot of places. Does less damage to the slug or something.

And yeah, rifling profiles are weak at best.