PDA

View Full Version : Outsourcing Gun Info?

BRANCHER
04-02-2010, 7:26 AM
Got Guns & Ammo yesterday and didn't want to post with all the april fools...
Didn't see so hoping not a dupe.
May 2010 Pg12 Titled Outsourcing Gun Info?

To track illegal drug cartel firearms, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives has implemented “a Spanish-language version of eTrace, a computer system that law enforcement agencies use to request traces of weapons by the ATF,” the Arizona Republic reports. Among initial users are police in Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Mexico. Trace information can include “the first retailer to handle the gun and the first purchaser, along with any subsequent sales the ATF…can document.” Says John Velleco, of Gun Owners of America, of Mexican government corruption, “For the U.S. to give that type of government access to our records of gun owners is an outrage.”

Yeah Scary...:eek:

Pyrodyne
04-02-2010, 8:54 AM
:TFH: Oh dear, nothing good can come of that.

thempopresense
04-02-2010, 1:42 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-01-06-mexico-guns-Spanish-tracer-system_N.htm

Apocalypsenerd
04-02-2010, 7:59 PM
wow, that's extremely frightening. Suppose those of us gun owners on the Mexican border begin getting robbed or otherwise attacked by drug cartels or simply Mexican gun thieves. Has this happened already? Exactly how much info do they get? I was under the impression that for long gun purchases, at least, the info was destroyed within 48 hours of the NICS inquiry.

G17GUY
04-02-2010, 8:41 PM
Its all part of the new world order.:TFH:

bwiese
04-02-2010, 8:48 PM
Aw crap it's from GOA so it's likely exaggerated or wrong.

I'm sure this does NOT let Mexico see that Joe Blow has a S&W Model 66 or whatever.

It may allow DFJP (when they're not running car-theft rings) to trace provenance of a gun from mfgr to distributor.

knicks602
04-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Aw crap it's from GOA so it's likely exaggerated or wrong.

I'm sure this does NOT let Mexico see that Joe Blow has a S&W Model 66 or whatever.

It may allow DFJP (when they're not running car-theft rings) to trace provenance of a gun from mfgr to distributor.

Actually, I did some quick research and, while I didn't find anything about this outrage at the GOA website, I did easily find a news report on it from USA Today ("Nations to test gun-tracing software in Spanish" dates 1/7/10 at http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-01-06-mexico-guns-Spanish-tracer-system_N.htm)

From my reading of that report I'd say the OP was *not* exaggerating at all.

Here are a few choice excerpts that should concern any U.S. firearms owner familiar with the way things work in the narcorepublic to the south:

"The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
(ATF) said Wednesday that it is about to begin testing a
Spanish-language version of eTrace, the computer system
that helps police trace who buys U.S. firearms."

"Where a gun came from and who bought it is valuable data
for Mexico"

"The National Rifle Association (NRA) says it worries that
expanded use of eTrace could lead to private information
about [U.S.] gun owners being leaked."

"Thomasson said there were no known cases of trace
information being misused by foreign authorities. He said
that only a few foreign police officers are allowed to use
the system and that the ATF had vetted them."*

[*Comment: This should NOT be reassuring to anyone aware that even the highest-ranking military and law enforcement officials in Mexico are widely believed to be in the employ of the cartels!]