PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Bushmaster Carbon 15 Top Loading Carbine

jp.cherokee
02-14-2006, 9:54 AM
Hi Folks,
I really do not have the time or knowledge to put together a BIY .223 carbine, before any more bans hit. But, I do want an AR type BEFORE any more bans. What is your opinion of the Bushmaster Carbon 15 CA legal model.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b212/som-59/Bushmaster.jpg
Details:Lightweight Carbon Fiber Composite Receivers 40% stronger and 40% lighter than comparable aircraft aluminum receivers unaffected by moisture will not corrode matte black throughout (no surface finish to wear off). Upper Receiver includes anodized aluminum Picatinny rail for unlimited sight, or optics mounting.
16" M4 Profile Barrel chambered for 5.56mm NATO/.223 Rem. caliber Chrome Lined in both Bore and Chamber for long wear and ease of maintenance standard threaded muzzle (1/2 x 28 T.p.I.) fitted with Izzy Flash Suppressor. Barrel.
Rear Sight is a Dual Aperture type adjustable for windage. Front Sight is AR Type Base with Square Post adjustable for elevation
6 Position Telestock offers light weight, carrying ease and quick handling. Carbine length Handguards have internal aluminum shields to protect against heat build-up in rapid fire sequences.
Shipped in a Lockable Hard Case with Operation and Safety Manual, and Black Web Sling. One Year Bushmaster Warranty

I like the warranty...
Thanks for you time...

GTKrockeTT
02-14-2006, 10:07 AM
do yourself a favor and get a self loading lower. the time and knowledge required is minimal, especially since you've got such a great resource in this forum and ar15.com. not only will you save a bundle of $$$, you'll have the pride in building your own rifle to YOUR configuration, not some neutered rifle that will still be neutered even if you move out of state. besides, why not learn the intricacies of your rifle? knowing and understanding how all the parts fit will help you troubleshoot any potential issues with the rifle.

ArmedBear
02-14-2006, 10:07 AM
If you have the cash, it's nice enough.

Nobody really knows about carbon fiber AR longevity, since the things haven't been around as long as the military guns.

I'd still grab a lower or two. Who cares if you can build it right away? I could, but I'd rather buy a trap gun. The idea is to get 'em while you can. But nothing says you can't also get the Bushmaster.

Consider, however, the Kel-Tec SU-16CA. It's just over half the price, light, compact, and it has a detachable magazine and legal folding stock. Uses regular AR mags, and the new version has a rail on the upper and nicer sights than the original.

http://www.kel-tec.com/su-16ca_rifle.htm

Also, Beretta is coming out with a CA-legal semiauto .223 that uses AR magazines. See the SHOT Show thread.

My personal opinion is this: if the Bushie was a metal gun, I'd buy that and an off-list lower or two to stick in the safe. But it's not. The Kel-Tec is a more useful tool for less money. Depends what you want it for. Either way, there's no rush. It's CA-legal unless they pass a new law.

BTW if you don't have the knowledge to slap a lower together with instructions, it would be worth doing it just to gain that knowledge. It's not too hard and what you learn will serve you well with whatever firearms you will own and maintain in the future.

PanzerAce
02-14-2006, 10:08 AM
+1 to the reply. I myself know almost nothing about BIY ARs, but I have two lowers to be built up eventually. I was also looking at the Bushie, but my current build price is about 300 bucks cheaper than that, and it will be more versitile.

ArmedBear
02-14-2006, 10:16 AM
Oh wait...

You've already got a Kel-Tec CA.

I'd buy the lowers, stick 'em in a safe, and let someone else buy the Bushie.

The whole point of the AR platform, as far as I'm concerned, is versatility. There are plenty of other ways to get lead downrange. If you're stuck with a .223 magazine, then it's a $1000 plinker. Nothing wrong with that, but you've already got a more useful .223, without spending another dime.

shopkeep
02-14-2006, 10:35 AM
There are basically a couple things to consider:

1. You would be totally insane if you wanted an AR and did not drop $200 to buy the ability to possibly have a REAL AR at some time in the future. For one these stripped lowers are the real deal even if they can't currently legally be built into it.

2. You can also buy a Vulcan Carbon Fiber stripped lower to register as an AW and have the potential to someday rebuild your Bushmaster CARBON-15 into the real deal if the DOJ memo doesn't stick around (and there's a good chance it won't last in court).

3. Because according to the DOJ's intentions the new "Assault Weapons" will be fixed-mag rifles, the Carbon-15 is identical in functionality. This gives you a pretty good reason to buy it because you won't have to reg it and can do more with it (i.e. go hunting, etc.).

ArmedBear
02-14-2006, 10:38 AM
3. Because according to the DOJ's intentions the new "Assault Weapons" will be fixed-mag rifles, the Carbon-15 is identical in functionality. This gives you a pretty good reason to buy it because you won't have to reg it and can do more with it (i.e. go hunting, etc.).

It will still be available for sale later, though. There's just no good reason to buy it now, especially for a grand.

jp.cherokee
02-14-2006, 10:59 AM
do yourself a favor and get a self loading lower. the time and knowledge required is minimal, especially since you've got such a great resource in this forum and ar15.com. not only will you save a bundle of $$$, you'll have the pride in building your own rifle to YOUR configuration, not some neutered rifle that will still be neutered even if you move out of state. besides, why not learn the intricacies of your rifle? knowing and understanding how all the parts fit will help you troubleshoot any potential issues with the rifle.

This statement is very true! The problem is that sometime's there is TOO much good info at this site, and it gets confusing. Can someone tell me a good lower to buy to build and/or put in the safe. What price range should they be in, and where can I aquire them? How about any of the bushi lowers? http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/ I would love to build my own.
Sean

jp.cherokee
02-14-2006, 11:03 AM
[/QUOTE]BTW if you don't have the knowledge to slap a lower together with instructions, it would be worth doing it just to gain that knowledge. It's not too hard and what you learn will serve you well with whatever firearms you will own and maintain in the future.[/QUOTE]

Very true also.

GTKrockeTT
02-14-2006, 11:06 AM
This statement is very true! The problem is that sometime's there is TOO much good info at this site, and it gets confusing. Can someone tell me a good lower to buy to build and/or put in the safe. What price range should they be in, and where can I aquire them? How about any of the bushi lowers? http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/ I would love to build my own.
Sean

NO! they are named lowers.

The ones you should be looking for are STAG, Mega, Sun Devil, Lauer, Double Star, Ameetec, GSE. In SoCal, contact Hector at Cold War Shooters (see this thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=28612). Or you can check the FS forum, there's a good amount being sold PPT as of late. These lowers are all essentially the same, so go for the cheapest, unless you truly care about the manufacturer.

Also, check out Bill's FAQ, http://www.calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm, regarding these lowers and what is legal vs illegal in building them up.

GTKrockeTT
02-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Step-by-step guides for assemblying the lower with a lower parts kit (LPK)

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782
http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

jp.cherokee
02-14-2006, 12:05 PM
How about LMT lowers? I was talking to Michele at Cold War Shooters.
Sean

GTKrockeTT
02-14-2006, 12:07 PM
How about LMT lowers? I was talking to Michele at Cold War Shooters.
Sean

LMT Lower = Lauer Custom Weaponry Lower (LCW-15)

these will do just fine.

ArmedBear
02-14-2006, 2:19 PM
LMT Lower = Lauer Custom Weaponry Lower (LCW-15)

these will do just fine.
I think they have the best finish by a very small margin, among a collection nearly-identical competitors.