PDA

View Full Version : Hunting

Jeff Rambo
02-14-2006, 2:56 AM
Me and a few friends are taking the HSC on March 11th so that we can get our license and enter into the world of hunting. Just out of curiosity though, what is the ideal round(s)/platform(s) for hunting the following:

- Deer
- Bear
- Bobcat
- Wild Pig

Also, what are ideal spots in SoCal to hunt with the option to camp overnight being available?

Prospector
02-14-2006, 7:32 AM
For me I would use my 30-06.

capitol
02-14-2006, 9:47 AM
Deer 30-06 is very common
Bear 308, 12 guage shotgun slug
Bobcat-Depends if you want the pelt? 223 on down
Wild Pig- Slug, 50 Beowulf, 7mm, 44 mag, 308

glen avon
02-14-2006, 9:58 AM
.30-06 is awfully tough to beat for flexibility, effectiveness, and a host of other reasons.

blacklisted
02-16-2006, 12:25 AM
I'll be taking the class on March 4 if all goes well.

m98
02-16-2006, 1:56 AM
for beginner hunters I'd say go big bore i.e. 30-06/308/7mm. I myself have been hunting deer/bear with my .223 with 68-77gr otm loads. I've bagged 5 bucks so far with the .223-all one shot kills and 1 bear-about 180lbs. most important thing to remember is shot placement but using a bigger bore helps take up a little more slack than compared to a .224 round when a bullet doesn't strike kill zone. one example that I have is 2yrs ago a cousin of mines had the opportunity to bag a Boone/crockett record setter buck in zone d-5. he was planning to carry his mini14 along so I loaded him up some special buck medicine and helped him sight in the rifle. well the first day of hunting he spotted an 8pt buck but didn't have a shot. so the next day he went back to look for the buck but this time he thought that .224 with my special loads weren't enough milk to land this buck so he insisted on carrying his dads rem700 in 30-06. sure enough this time he stumbled upon another huge-huge buck. from what his dad explained the buck was atleast 8x8 and spread in the 36"+ zone. his dad had gotten a glance at the buck as it hopped by and he didn't get a shot either. before he had seen the buck run by a shot went off nearby and he'd got a radio from his son that he had shot at this buck that ran by. so now his dad thought that it was all good UNTIL they discovered that my cousin didn't even put a scratch on the buck. he had a perfectly steady shot at about 100yds using a downed tree as a rest and he blew it because of jerking the trigger. He didn't admit at first and used other things as excuses but I knew that he tends to flintch when pulling the trigger especially if he knows he's behind a heavy recoiling rifle. I knew that he shot the mini with my loads alot better because of low recoil and I told him that if he had trust in his rifle(the mini)and himself that he would of landed that record buck no doubt because of the easy broadside shot and not shooting offhand. to this day he has been kicking himself everytime we have a discussion about hunting/firearms:D

triaged
02-16-2006, 8:37 PM
I got a Savage in 308...and a new 243 barrel and wrench.

Savages are quite easy to swap barrels at home.

caduckgunner
02-16-2006, 8:58 PM
Me and a few friends are taking the HSC on March 11th so that we can get our license and enter into the world of hunting. Just out of curiosity though, what is the ideal round(s)/platform(s) for hunting the following:

- Deer
- Bear
- Bobcat
- Wild Pig

Also, what are ideal spots in SoCal to hunt with the option to camp overnight being available?

I would look for a 30-06. It is a very versitile round. It will wasly bring down all the animals you have listed and many more. It might be to big for teh Bobcat, but it will still work as long as you don't want to save a lot of it:eek: . Here is great deal on one. I would buy it myseld, but I already have 2 30-06's

http://www.turners.com/shop/gundetail.php?id=532

(P.S. I don't work at Turners, hell I don't even like them much, but this is a good deal!)

Prospector
02-16-2006, 9:03 PM
+1 for savage

sohijiro
02-22-2006, 5:05 PM
id only go for 308 ove 30-06 because its easy to get surplus ammo for it to shoot at the range,. basically 308 replaced the 30-06 for those of you who dont belive me, they both fire the same bullet, and basically have the same powder charge in them, but 30-06 has extra space inside .

glen avon
02-22-2006, 5:14 PM
they both fire the same bullet, and basically have the same powder charge in them, but 30-06 has extra space inside .

not when using over 180-gr loads. that's when the .30-'06 outperforms the .308. otherwise you are right, not a whole lot of difference.

TonyM
02-22-2006, 5:41 PM
and basically have the same powder charge in them, but 30-06 has extra space inside .

Two of my reloading manuals disagree with you. The 30-06 has quite a bit more powder for starting and max loads.

Also, the unused cartridge space, in regards to the powder charge will change the pressures in the cartridge. For instance, from the Lyman manual:

.308:

168 grain Sierra HPBT Bullet (#2200)
IMR-3031 powder, starting load: 37 grains
velocity: 2336
pressure: 35,000C

IMR-3031 powder, max load: 42 grains
velocity: 2645
pressure: 49,600C

30-06:

IMR-3031 powder, starting load: 42 grains
velocity: 2463
pressure: 34,000C

IMR-3031 powder, max load: 48 grains
velocity: 2808
pressure: 49,600C

xYourLocalAR15x
02-22-2006, 5:54 PM
PM me when you plan a hunting trip... I'd like to go too :)

Go my Hunter safety license awhile back. Dont worry I'm not Dick Chen. :)

I've been trying to setup a boar hunting trip but all my buddies dont have setups. I'll be using my m1a

sohijiro
02-22-2006, 6:04 PM
yeah i didnt say it was EXACTLY the same. lol thats why i said basically they are the same. im not saying 30-06 sucks, but the 308's availibility is greater now that the military switched over to that round, on the plus side if you get a M1a/FAL/precision rifles youll probably be using 308 also, so might as well get the same for your hunting rig. not trying to start a arguement here.

plus more powder isnt always great thing unless you want to walk around carrying a 30 inch barrel to reap the benifits of all that powder burning, i got a 22 inch barrel but i should be running a 26 inch barrel to gain more velocity out my 308 ie PSS over LTR. , my point is this; over on the impact side, theres almost no difference between 308 and 3006, theres even people in snipercountry that will argue the benifits of 300 winmag over 308 are minimal considering recoil, availibility, price,. and barrel life

TonyM
02-22-2006, 6:27 PM
I like .308 better myself, but the numbers do speak for themselves. Both the .308 and the 30-06 were measured with the same 24" barrel.

All that, and I'd still use .308, since I have alot of it here. ;)

big jon
03-13-2006, 7:15 PM
Wow what a loaded question i use to be asked that all the time i booked hog hunts and also did my share of guiding in the late 80s and early 90s I had acces to large ranches with deer hogs cats varments birds, What stays with me the most in regards to your question is what is your intent of the hunt? are you a trophy hunter or are you more into meat on the table. I have done both. Lets start with trophy hunters he would be more interested in taking the game down hard one shot one kill that realy means that one shot any where on the animal will bring it down your talking 458s,all the 300s,7mm you get the idea it just comes down to maximum hitting guns.Onthe other hand someone interested in harvesting some game for food will usualy use 270s,3030s,44s,357, something less than the big mags you got to keep in mind the distruction any round can do.Rember most hunters waite for that broad side shot behind the sholder those hot mag loads will turn that whole area in to a big mess that will need to be removed so even with the best shooting your lucky to harvest the back straps and the back leggs.Iam not even going to talk about buck fever witch usualy means massdistruction for some poor thing with a bunch of missplaced shots because it was still moving. Anyway what i would recomend are 270s for deer, pigs, varmits and for a bear 3006 or better the may be related to pigs but i have yet to taste one that taste good.If you asked me what i shoot ied have to say i use a 4570 1886 for everything it hits hard and you can just abought cut around the bullet hole. But the most inportant thing is shot placement ive taken around 55or6o hogs with a 38spc mostly because most folks say it cant be done,let me tell you it aint the 38 its the 5 to 10 yard shots you need to get the job done right, anyways iam heading up north for a hog hunt in a couple weeks ill let you know how it goes. Happy hunting

CowtownBallin
03-15-2006, 11:16 PM
What kind of pressure measure is "C" ? Man, I'm an engineering student and I don't even know! Silly imperial system, just use kilopascals, and life is easy ;)

As for hunting rounds, from a ballistics standpoint, I like 7.92x57 and 7.62x54R, but I have yet to go hunting. When I do, it'll probably be with the 12ga Mossy, 7.62 Mosin, and 357 Smith for backup. Miran doesn't mess around :D

triaged
03-16-2006, 8:11 AM
What kind of pressure measure is "C" ?
It is short for Copper Units of Pressure (CUP). Here is some info
http://hunting.about.com/od/ammo/f/faq_pressure.htm

metalhead357
03-16-2006, 9:20 AM
For your list-o-critters...just about any of the rounds might suffice, but the "real world" of BIG deer, BIG bear and tuff hogs, I know it'll cause some flack but I dont think there is tooooooo much in the 20 cal range up to the task but 25-06, 270, and maybe what, 257 roberts. Methinks for all the game mentioned a 30 cal is absolute minimum....with bobcat MAYBE being the exception.

I've personally seen, and read, and seen the photos and heard the stories of friends that drop stuff (like hogs) with .223 one day and the next they cant get the bugger to buckle. Another hunt, I'll just call him a friend's kid, hit a Hog square in the friggin head with a 30-30...sucker got "bonked" on the head and got up and kept running...took two more rounds from the 30-30 to drop it. Then the very next day the 30-30 functioned flawlessly and did the one shot drop on an actually bigger hog than the day before.......
have a couple of nearly identical stories with Shotgun slugs and sabots- them hogs are real tuff in places:cool:

SHOT PLACEMENT is the absolute key...then the wound chamber and bullet weight, etc all come into play.

For MULE deer I wont go with anything less than a 308, for Blacktail I've hunted with a bolt action 7.62x39 or 243 and with a 30-30 as the backup.......

For Bear? Bigger is always better. For bobcat....ONLY if you're concerned about the pelt would I "scale down" and consider some of the 20 cals

WHATEVER you hunt with...know its capabilities and limitations. Above all- PRACTICE and practice some more from off hand stances NOT from the bench!!!!! Shoot at unknown distances and practice at judging distances......

Good luck..........

And Oh, BTW....no fee for this advice....just a couple pounds of meat and some decent photos though would be nice:D An invite would be stellar...I too am No Dick Cheney and have never shot anyone....there WAS this one incident invovling some chickens once but its over and I feel MUCH better now:p