PDA

View Full Version : best shopping cart software

JaMail
04-01-2010, 7:46 PM
My wife is starting a small home business, im looking for shopping cart software.

My requirements

Hosted
Members Only
CHEAP
Cheap
Cheap
Ease of use

She is not allowed to sell online to new customers, only to previous customers, so it needs to be password protected, membership style, where once someone buys from her, they can buy more online after she approves their membership. At least 200 items, im looking for 25.00 to 50.00 a month in pricing.

RawImpact
04-01-2010, 10:53 PM
ecommerce?

artherd
04-02-2010, 12:42 AM
Shameless plugs, I own both companies :)

GUNPAL officially supports Zen Cart (and it's Free!)

contact sales@geovario.com for hosting.

ChopperX
04-04-2010, 12:06 PM
I use magento. Its free. Fully customizable but it can be a challenge. Tricky to use but once you learn its easy.

mrboma
04-04-2010, 1:39 PM
Shameless plugs, I own both companies :)

GUNPAL officially supports Zen Cart (and it's Free!)

contact sales@geovario.com for hosting.

+1

Zen Cart hands down.

Great to hear GunPal is supported now.
Regards,
Mike

AlliedArmory
04-05-2010, 11:35 PM
We use ZenCart. Somewhat limited, but there are tons of addons and support for it. It is all setup for PayPal, GunPal authorize.net etc. Fairly user-friendly.

I tried designing Magento as I heard it is the best, I just don't have the complete knowledge to use it.

Good hosting with SSL will cost you in the $30/mo range, then tack on merchant account.

I tried out godaddy, but their control panel really sucks.

So now we use ZenCart, authorize.net & Blue Host as our hosting company.

peter0379
04-09-2010, 3:53 AM
I don't understand your requirement with the emphasis on cheap - I mean yes, I do get it, but I don't understand the concept. So basically you're looking to make money from this membership website but you don't really want to invest in it. We're all looking for the best deal, but trust me - you'll get what you pay for if you go the cheap route.

If you really want your online business to work for you - INVEST in it. If you had an off-line business such as a store on a street, you would do your best to make sure it's in a nice location, and has nice decor and operates efficiently, right? Take the time to research solutions and make sure they have the features that you need and don't be too cheap and expect for it to pay you dividends.

A couple solutions for you http://www.haikuob.com - has the ability for member only areas - some investment will be required to get it going. Or http://www.volusion.com - not sure if there are member areas. Both are great hosted solutions, so you don't have to worry about installing technical things yourself.

Good luck!

the_natterjack
04-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Host Gator for hosting. Less then $15 a month and Zen cart installs with a couple of clicks.

DON"T USE GODADDY!

Brian

Barabas
04-09-2010, 10:37 AM
GoDaddy isn't so bad if you have more than a handful of domains. They will assign an account rep to you that will handle just about any request you might have. We dumped CPanel because of overhead, they had no problem with it. At our peak, we had 900+/- domains, but we were getting personalized service (no extra charge) at 40, if I recall correctly. It's been a couple of years since we built our own data center, so things may have changed.