PDA

View Full Version : Need opinion on a Wifey Gun

armandolo
04-01-2010, 7:21 PM
I want to buy a gun for my wife and want to hear ladies opinion of couple that I selected. She is 5'4" 120lb. 357mag is out. She shot my python and could not handle 357. 38SP was fine. Please let me know. Thanks. Here are the options:

S&W 60LS (357/38)
S&W 686 (357/38)
SA EMP (9mm)
Walther PPK (.380)
Beretta 85FS (.380)

9mmepiphany
04-01-2010, 8:01 PM
the only one i'm not familiar with is the M626

of the ones you've listed, i think the most controllable are the EMP and the 85F. a common misunderstanding about guns for women is that a smaller gun is better...it really just means less control in recoil.

a better way to go, in a compact gun, might be a H&K P7 PSP or the Sig P6 that are currently on the surplus market. in a new gun, the steel framed Kahrs are very reliable, controllable and accurate

a great woman's gun that is often overlooked is the 1911. adding a short trigger and lowered thumb safety makes it very small hand friendly

NorCalMama
04-01-2010, 9:03 PM
I KNOW you listed specific guns, but for me, I love the Glock G19. The grip isn't too big (common misconception that scares people) and the recoil is totally doable. For me it's ideal-affordable, lightweight, reliable, durable, easy to disassemble, FUN, and cute. :D
I'm curious, why did you select the models you did? Are those ones she's specified or you chose?

TKM
04-01-2010, 9:20 PM
I have an extremely petite friend who loves the 1911.

Uses both hands, but does so very well.

ab-man
04-01-2010, 11:24 PM
My brother made the mistake of letting his wife shoot my HK P7M8 she liked it so much he ended up having to shell out and get her one.

Canute
04-01-2010, 11:35 PM
I would almost think that for residential use bigger would be better? I would think that the point would be to intimidate an attacker, plus they hurt less to shoot.

BigDogatPlay
04-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Experienced shooter or not an experienced shooter? If not, then I would steer away from small frame revolvers with stout loads. I've seen experienced shooters have difficulty.

My wife, who is 5-4, moderately experienced and enjoys shooting, prefers a medium frame .357 revolver stoked with +P ammo. She was not terribly fond of +P+ when that was my duty ammo way back when, and is definitely not keen on magnum ammo. She'll shoot autos, but doesn't feel comfortable with them. We toyed for a bit with a .45 revolver using moon clips, but the S&W N frame was just too much weight in the hand for her although she found the .45 in the bigger frame very comfortable to shoot.

Gotta find what works for the lady, go with it.

MotherGoose
04-02-2010, 12:21 AM
if your local range has a good selection of rental guns, that might be a good place to start, I personally own a Taurus 9mm, Sig mosquito 22L and my favorite is my Rugar gp100 38/357, it's all about how the gun feels in her hand,

2Cute2Shoot
04-02-2010, 1:16 AM
I want to buy a gun for my wife and want to hear ladies opinion of couple that I selected. She is 5'4" 120lb. 357mag is out. She shot my python and could not handle 357. 38SP was fine. Please let me know. Thanks. Here are the options:

S&W 60LS (357/38)
S&W 626 (357/38)
SA EMP (9mm)
Walther PPK (.380)
Beretta 85FS (.380)

I'm even smaller than your wife, and I don't like the 38 or the .380s. They sting too much in my hand when I shoot them. Not only that, but the bullets are so little, I would be scared they wouldn't stop an attacker.

I like my Springfield 1911. It's big in my hand, and the kick is big, but it doesn't feel as sharp as with a little walther. Plus, I know my bullet will make a BIG HOLE!! If she will be using it for protection at home, I think you should let her try a 1911 or .45 :) But I'm a girl who likes a big bang!:13:

TRICKSTER
04-02-2010, 1:56 AM
I let my wife shoot all my handguns,(380, 9MM makarov, 9mm, 38, 357, 44, & 45ACP) and pick out the one she wanted. She liked my S&W 642. I put a set of Crimson Trace Laser Grips on it and it is now her home defense weapon.

SickofSoCal
04-02-2010, 2:04 AM
I vote Colt 1903...................you'll just never be able to find ammo for it.

novabrian
04-02-2010, 10:42 AM
I have an extremely petite friend who loves the 1911.

Uses both hands, but does so very well.

This +++ 100, My wife loves my 1911. .45 cal.

sorensen440
04-02-2010, 10:44 AM
If she is good with a python loaded with 38s why not get her that ?

armandolo
04-02-2010, 11:18 AM
She is very very moderately experienced. I have a Mak in 9x18 which she hates., 92FS which she likes the recoil and hates the gun, had a Baer TR Special and P220 in .45 which she did not like. She liked the python (6in) with 38spl but there is no way in hell I'm giving her that. So I'm thinking a Revolver but the EMP looks attractive as well

armandolo
04-02-2010, 11:22 AM
the only one i'm not familiar with is the M626

of ...

Sorry, I meant 686 ( I was initially thinking of the 627). Don't know how to edit the poll though.

9mmepiphany
04-02-2010, 11:39 AM
She liked the python (6in) with 38spl but there is no way in hell I'm giving her that. So I'm thinking a Revolver but the EMP looks attractive as well
if she like the trigger pull of the Python, i think she'd be very happy with a Kahr K9 in stainless

if you're willing the buy a LE trade-in the H&K P7 PSP is an outstanding SA pistol

either would be about half the price of the EMP and require less maintance

armandolo
04-02-2010, 11:43 AM

if you're willing the buy a LE trade-in the H&K P7 PSP is an outstanding SA pistol

I though P7s are around 2grand used in many cases

9mmepiphany
04-02-2010, 11:57 AM
2 grand for a P7???? you gotta be kidding. last i checked the P7M13 was <$1500 and the M8 was just a bit more than $1200

i'm talking about the PSP models that are from European LE agencies that they traded-in recently. you'd have to find one as a PPT because they aren't on the list anymore, my FL source told me he had sold several to LEOs in CA...so they are around. they were going for <$600 when i last looked.

i paid <$700 for my NJSP P7M8 when they traded theirs' in

Steyrlp10
04-02-2010, 12:35 PM
As always, I'd like to add my vote to the 1911. But then, I'm not shooting ball ammo offhand either.

To the OP, are you reloading the rounds for your wife or are they all factory loads?

In addition to the Python, there's always the S&W Model 66 with the .38 rounds.

The .22 is absolutely not to her taste?

And as far as the size of the woman, I know firsthand that it doesn't have much influence on the ability of the gal being able to shoot well. Focus is an amazing thing when it comes to trigger squeeze and watching that front sight.

Vacaville
04-02-2010, 3:30 PM
I said the 686. I've got a .38 spl snubbie that's a lot harder for my wife to control than my full-sized .357, especially when it's loaded with .38 spl. Unless she's going concealed, I'd go with a heavier gun.

9mmepiphany
04-02-2010, 4:35 PM
As always, I'd like to add my vote to the 1911. But then, I'm not shooting ball ammo offhand either.
we know that's true when you let hubby load the mag ;)

And as far as the size of the woman, I know firsthand that it doesn't have much influence on the ability of the gal being able to shoot well. Focus is an amazing thing when it comes to trigger squeeze and watching that front sight.
this is absolutely true, when you understand recoil management, you can shoot a 1911 accurately using just your trigger finger and your middle finger around the grip pushing the grip safety into the palm of your hand

bomb_on_bus
04-02-2010, 5:30 PM
my wife loves shootng the FN 5.7. it kicks like a .22 but punches more like a 40cal. she is a dead eye with it so potential muggers beware lol.

she wants to get a ps90 but I dont know about all the hoopla making one CA legal.

microwaveguy
04-03-2010, 10:09 AM
My wife is also 5'4 and likes her polymer frame 45acp. The single stack does fit her smaller hands better than say a double stack 9mm and recoil really is less than a full size 1911.

Steyrlp10
04-03-2010, 11:00 PM
we know that's true when you let hubby load the mag ;)

You must admit, you had plenty of laughs that day! And as far as my other half goes, he's got job security - lol

johnthomas
04-03-2010, 11:09 PM
I KNOW you listed specific guns, but for me, I love the Glock G19. The grip isn't too big (common misconception that scares people) and the recoil is totally doable. For me it's ideal-affordable, lightweight, reliable, durable, easy to disassemble, FUN, and cute. :D
I'm curious, why did you select the models you did? Are those ones she's specified or you chose?

Good questions. I have never bought into the idea of girl guns. My wife can shoot her 1911 well, she happens to like the cz82. I would take her to a range and try out different guns and let her choose.

sd_shooter
04-04-2010, 5:59 AM
Good questions. I have never bought into the idea of girl guns. My wife can shoot her 1911 well, she happens to like the cz82. I would take her to a range and try out different guns and let her choose.

This.

I can only wish my wife wanted her own gun. If one day she wants one, I would:
1) Take her on a tour of all the local gun stores
2) Set no spending limit
3) Let her pick whatever caliber, size, color gun she wants
4) Buy her flowers
5) Buy her chocolates
6) Take her out for a steak dinner
7) Get her a spa coupon
8)

todd2968
04-04-2010, 8:27 AM
I've been told for wife a revolver is less hassle point and shoot, but I don't agree. I sounds kind of wrong like thier feble mind cannot figure out moving parts.
Sorry not on the group I like the Bersa thunder .380

Quiet
04-04-2010, 8:27 AM
Why not let the wife decide?
It's going to be her gun and what she likes (handling/felt recoild/etc.) may be vastly different than what you think she'll like.

davester00
04-04-2010, 8:30 AM
May I make a suggestion?
If she is not opposed to polymer pistols I would suggest a M&P 9 or 45 with the small grip installed.
They are not too expensive and the 9mm comes in different barrel lengths and the 45 comes in black and FDE frame colored.
The small grip has a similar feel to a single stack 1911 so it would fit a smaller hand.

If I had to choose between the choices you posted I would go EMP 9mm.

Hope this helps

9mmepiphany
04-04-2010, 2:41 PM
You must admit, you had plenty of laughs that day! And as far as my other half goes, he's got job security - lol
i had a great time and would happily come down your way if you have an event planned.

is bass fishing a job :stuart:

katokat
04-11-2010, 8:58 PM
May I make a suggestion?
If she is not opposed to polymer pistols I would suggest a M&P 9 or 45 with the small grip installed.
They are not too expensive and the 9mm comes in different barrel lengths and the 45 comes in black and FDE frame colored.
The small grip has a similar feel to a single stack 1911 so it would fit a smaller hand.

Ditto. I just bought a S&W 9mm M&P and just love it. It came with three grip sizes, and my husband put each in to see which fit my hand the best. Made a huge difference.

Dooly
04-17-2010, 8:28 PM
I think glock 19 or glock 26 might be good for her.

six10
04-29-2010, 2:16 AM
This question always irks me. Would any of you guys let some other guy pick out a gun for you?

I'm in agreement with those who recommended having your wife make the decision, and not just from the models on your list, but from her own experience. It's her life (and possibly yours/your children's) that's at stake, and she has to be supremely comfortable and confident with whichever gun she selects, and only she can determine what feels right in her own hands.

Ed_Hazard
04-29-2010, 2:34 AM
Of the guns you have listed I'd say go with the 686 first and the EMP next. Can always tailor the loads closer to her prefrence in the 686, use 38's instead of full power magnums. Plus more grip options and different style/material grips will make a huge difference here. And you just cant beat a 1911, but the compact design and lightweight might be an issue.

As always it holds true to let her decide on which she would prefer, but like I saild those would be my choices from your list. :thumbsup:

Big Jake
04-29-2010, 7:20 AM
My brother made the mistake of letting his wife shoot my HK P7M8 she liked it so much he ended up having to shell out and get her one.

Gun fail? :eek:

Saym14
04-29-2010, 10:06 AM
my wife chose the 84F

bombadillo
04-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Apples to oranges on the guns you laid out. I'd go 9mm full size for reduced felt recoil. Still enough oomph to knock somebody down but not so much of a bite like the .357 to make her gun shy.

Argonaut
04-29-2010, 11:45 AM
We have a M60 3" adjustable sight in 357.......It is the best compromise we think. 38 specials (even wadcutters) in a J frame for every day shooting and 357 JHP for "social" work..........................

masameet
04-29-2010, 12:41 PM
I'd vote "None of the above" but that's not an option in your poll.

Still I love the S&W 686 and wouldn't mine owning one. But then I got to hold and dryfire a few S&W Performance Center revolvers and found myself sold on them and their single/dual action triggers instead of the usual, long and hard pull of double action S&W revolvers. For sure, if she can find a Model 67 - Carry Comp to handle, she might end up loving it over all other double-action revolvers.

If she really wants a semi-automatic pistol, have her handle a Sig P226 X-Five Competition. I got to last year. It's about the same size as a 1911 but slightly heftier. Definitely it is oh so much more beautiful to behold and ridiculously easy to steady and dryfire. Whether in 9mm or .40 caliber, I bet she'll love it. The price tag is steep and I've heard that the wait can be a while. But at least she'll have a fine handgun with which she could easily bond with, treasure for its intrinsic beauty, and love shooting immediately (it's SAO). The Sig P226 X-Five Competition will be my next handgun purchase.

Shrubmaster
04-29-2010, 1:04 PM
I'm going to pass on some advice that was given to me by the owner of my local gun shop. This was the response given after I asked what he had that would be good for my 5' wife:

"Do you think Tiger is glad he taught his wife how to swing a club?!"

He had a point...

I got her a bersa thunder, which she's shot once. She now snags my browning 380 anytime we go shooting.

armandolo
04-29-2010, 1:47 PM
After trying many guns, She insist on the python with 38spl. So I'm looking for a 4 inch one to buy in blue most likely.

SmokinMr2
04-29-2010, 2:26 PM
Let her pick her own.

CelticRanger
04-30-2010, 11:34 PM
sounds like her mind's made up, so this may be unnecessary but, the PPK has a pretty tough slide. It looks great but smaller people (guys and girls) may not want to wrestle with the gun every time they shoot it.

tacticalcity
04-30-2010, 11:54 PM
Bersa Thunder looks like th PPK for 1/2 the price and a lot less of the issues. Personally I think a 9mm Glock would be ideal.

taloft
05-01-2010, 1:36 AM
After trying many guns, She insist on the python with 38spl. So I'm looking for a 4 inch one to buy in blue most likely.Maybe a S&W Md. 10 with a standard barrel in 4"? It's blue and a 38spl. You should be able to find a used one easily. Most have excellent triggers and will probably fit better than a python. You're more likely to find a md. 10 than another python. If she decides she wants stainless, the Md. 64 is the same gun finished in stainless. Both are fixed sight models. Most ranges will have a md. 10 for rent so, she can try it before you buy.

bucket49
05-01-2010, 8:20 AM
You might want to look at the Sig Sauer models P239 or P245. Nice and compact.

thomashoward
05-01-2010, 8:22 AM
Why not let the wife decide?
It's going to be her gun and what she likes (handling/felt recoild/etc.) may be vastly different than what you think she'll like.

its subjective, let her shoot what is comfortable for her